Hello and a plea from us horse riders!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eve

Regular
Hi guys, not sure if this is in the right place but I would like to ask you all for a favour!
As a horse rider I see many cyclists on the roads, may I please ask that if you are approaching a horse from behind that you call out and let the rider know you are there? Bikes are so quiet and unfortunately our horses (and us!) don't know you are there until the last second and that can cause them to spook. I have had a couple of near misses and would hate for anyone to get hurt.

Many thanks!

Eve

400bhp

Guru
Troll

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
No, I'm not a troll at all - why would you think that? I just wanted to ask you guys to let us know when you are behind us - a horse is a living, breathing animal with a mind of it's own and sometimes no matter how much training we do with them they can spook when startled. As I said in my OP I would hate for anyone to get hurt.

400bhp

Guru
Shall I go on Pistonheads and plead with them to stop driving like nobbers?

Or go on Horseyclipclop.com (or whatever the horserider equivalent of this site is) and plead for all of them to pick up their horseshit after them?

Reactions: akb
OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
How difficult is it to call out when approaching a horse? It's not rocket science, just common sense. Surely someone on here has had a near miss with a horse which has been startled by a cyclist?
I haven't come here to start an argument and quite frankly am very surprised by your very rude responses. We all have to share the roads...
And FWIW normally where I ride if my horse shoots on the road by the time I ride back that way it's on someone's roses!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The last time I came up behind a horse and shouted ''Bike behind!'' the policewoman swivelled round in her saddle so violently I can only imagine she thought I was referring to her own behind.

But it's a shame some cyclists don't appreciate how quiet they can be when they approach from the rear, and how this can spook horses. I always love to see horses on our roads and have found nearly all horse riders to be very happy to exchange a hello and a thankyou.

Incidentally, I called ''bike behind'' after starting a thread on a different forum asking about the best way to pass. Apart from keeping it slow, giving a wide berth (I've heard horses have quite a strong kick!) and alerting the rider, is there anything else we could be doing?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I always love to see horses on our roads and have found nearly all horse riders to be very happy to exchange a hello and a thankyou.

Same here.

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
Incidentally, I called ''bike behind'' after starting a thread on a different forum asking about the best way to pass. Apart from keeping it slow, giving a wide berth (I've heard horses have quite a strong kick!) and alerting the rider, is there anything else we could be doing?
No that's pretty much it really - As long as we know you are there we can warn you if we are on a young horse for example. I remember a few very helpful cyclists back when I was training one of my youngsters who very kindly cycled back and forth past us a few times which was brilliant and very useful - horse doesn't bat an eyelid at bikes now (as long as he knows they are there!).

If a cyclist shouts "bike behind/hello/all right to pass" etc a rider will usually turn the horses head so they can see you approaching - this has the added benefit of turning their bum away from you so if they do kick out they will kick away from you.

HovR

Über Member

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

I'd say the post is very polite, so hardly inflammatory. It's also not off topic, and is well reasoned.

I honestly don't see how this could be a troll post? Surely anyone who disagrees that what Eve has said is the polite and responsible thing to do is just as bad as the motorists who pass us close, or cut us up?

400bhp

Guru
I didn't like the "all" bit. It came across to me as something between mud slinging/patronising. I'm sure most of us here respect horse riders when we are cycling.

If you believe "her" post to be on the level, then fair enough.

Top Bottom