Hello and a plea from us horse riders!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
400bhp, IMO you're out of order, that's a fine chuffing welcome FFS.

simon.r

Person
I always shout out when approaching a horse from behind and I don't think I've ever had anything other than a 'thank you' from the rider. It's not uncommon for a rider to ask me to speak as I pass, presumably so the horse recognises me as a person rather than a machine?

The thing I don't like is the odd horse that rears up. Had one approaching me the other day and despite my exchanging greetings with the rider it reared just before we passed, nearly throwing the rider. Well, it looked to me as if the rider was struggling to control it, I suppose to an experienced rider it may have been nothing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks Eve, that's a fair point. I usually sing coming up behind horses, I figure that not only can they hear me but can gauge how fast I'm approaching. If that's not a good approach, let me know (my singing's not that bad ....)!

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
I honestly don't see how this could be a troll post? Surely anyone who disagrees that what Eve has said is the polite and responsible thing to do is just as bad as the motorists who pass us close, or cut us up?
Thank you, if it makes you feel any better they do it to us to - I guess you guys get the "you shouldn't be on the roads" rubbish as well?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hi Eve and :welcome:
I always say 'Hello' or 'Morning' or some such when I'm approaching a horse and rider. Normally the rider replies, but I'm actually saying to the horse, so it knows what I am.
Way I see it, I'm pretty fast, and lower and smaller than a horse. The horse is therefore likely to see me as a predator, unless it knows that I'm a person, in which case it won't worry, because it knows what people are.
And @ 400bhp - wind your neck in a bit, why don't you?
Someone new is asking nicely. No need to bite their head off.
'Fun and friendly', mmmkay?

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
Thanks Eve, that's a fair point. I usually sing coming up behind horses, I figure that not only can they hear me but can gauge how fast I'm approaching. If that's not a good approach, let me know (my singing's not that bad ....)!

:laugh: any noise (well within in reason - "who's got the bigger arse" for example may not be the best way to go about it ;) ) is good :smile:

simon.r

Person
Thank you, if it makes you feel any better they do it to us to - I guess you guys get the "you shouldn't be on the roads" rubbish as well?

Oh yes:rolleyes:

I've never ridden a horse but I'd hazard a guess that there are a fair few similarities in the way horse riders and cyclists are treated by vehicle drivers.

I'd also suggest that most horse riders (and cyclists) tend to be more respectful of 'vulnerable road users' when they are driving vehicles.

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
Way I see it, I'm pretty fast, and lower and smaller than a horse. The horse is therefore likely to see me as a predator, unless it knows that I'm a person, in which case it won't worry, because it knows what people are.
Thank you, and you've hit the nail on the head. Horses have a "fight or flight" mechanism which either means cyclist gets squished or horse and rider are seen disappearing into the distance at a rate of knots - neither is a good thing really!

HovR

Über Member

Yep, we get that. I'm starting to think I should print off copies of the highway code to throw through their windows as they shout their nonsense. :laugh:

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
Oh yes:rolleyes:

I've never ridden a horse but I'd hazard a guess that there are a fair few similarities in the way horse riders and cyclists are treated by vehicle drivers.

I'd also suggest that most horse riders (and cyclists) tend to be more respectful of 'vulnerable road users' when they are driving vehicles.

Definitely - I pass cyclists as if they are horses (although perhaps a little faster) as you never know if they have to swerve to avoid a drain/pothole etc.

Top Bottom