Hello from West Norfolk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there,

So... I haven't ridden a bike in anger since I was 16, and that was 20 years ago. Recently I've been trying to get a bit more healthy and lose a bit of weight by doing the usual portion size reduction and a bit of extra exercise and thought I might get myself a bike in order to explore the wonderful Norfolk countryside (theres only so much cross training you can do before it gets DULL). So yesterday I picked up a GT Transeo 3.0 2013 model second hand. It's in mint condition, cant wait to get out on it. Did quite a bit of research, nearly bought a Halford$ Carrera subway, but preferred the GT, even though it was a little bit more pricey second hand than a brand new Carrera.

What else should i be considering purchasing at this early stage? I've got a helmet on the way of course, but im thinking i'll be needing some emergency tools to take out on the road with me. I've got a hi-viz vest (wife rides horses); any other clothing recommended?

I'm also a bit of a gadget freak, so will probably get one of those phone mounting oojamiflips so that i can use Edomondo or MapMyRide while im out and about.

Im also thinking that i'd like to do basic servicing myself at some stage so will, i guess, need tools specific to that at some point.

Cheers

Mark

Bryony

Veteran
:welcome: I too have taken up cycling to help get myself fitter and lose some weight. I started nearly a year ago now and thoroughly enjoying it!!

When I go out I take 1/2 spare tubes, tyre levers, mini pump, some self adhesive patches and a multi tool. Luckily not needed to use them yet!

Happy cycling!:bicycle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Mark.

I'll add a chain tool (some multi-tools include one) and a couple of spare connecting links to the list given by @Bryony. Fortunately I've never actually needed them on a ride but I have come across riders having to fix broken chains in the past.

You might be best getting tools as and when you need them. The bike specific tools you'll be most likely to use for basic servicing are: cassette tool, bottom bracket tool, pedal spanner (you might be able to use an ordinary 15 mm one depending on the pedals) cone spanners (for wheel bearing adjustment), spoke key. Most fixings on bikes now are allen bolts, so a set of ball ended allen keys would be useful.

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
With regards to chain speed, the transeo 3 apparently has a KMC HG-40 chain which is a 6/7/8. Can someone explain what that means or point me to somewhere that will tell me which tool and spare links i would need to buy (from wiggle preferably)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With regards to chain speed, the transeo 3 apparently has a KMC HG-40 chain which is a 6/7/8. Can someone explain what that means or point me to somewhere that will tell me which tool and spare links i would need to buy (from wiggle preferably)
Chains are selected by the number of gears on the back of the bike. The info that I have is that yours is an 8 speed, so will need this link. It says 6/7/8 because 8 speed chains are compatible with 6, 7 or 8 speed drivetrains (but not 9, 10, or 11 as these use narrower chains).

A good chain tool would be this one. For something that won't take up much space have a look at one of the multi tools that include a chain tool.

I hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome:
A track pump to keep home is also very useful to keep tyres at the right pressure. This minimizes punctures.
Oh, and has anybody said chain lube?

nazzurro19

where abouts in norfolk do you ride? or intend to ride im from norwich

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
Just did my first ride out, it was just a quick one as had to get back, but managed 3.5 miles in 15 minutes. Quite happy with that; might try to pop out again later on today (after i've been out and got some riding gloves and some cushioned shorts ;) )

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Welcome aboard. I often ride through Downham from here on my way to my folks place near Wells-next-the Sea. West Norfolk's a fine part of the world.

Top Bottom