Hello from West Norfolk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Hi there,

So... I haven't ridden a bike in anger since I was 16, and that was 20 years ago. Recently I've been trying to get a bit more healthy and lose a bit of weight by doing the usual portion size reduction and a bit of extra exercise and thought I might get myself a bike in order to explore the wonderful Norfolk countryside (theres only so much cross training you can do before it gets DULL). So yesterday I picked up a GT Transeo 3.0 2013 model second hand. It's in mint condition, cant wait to get out on it. Did quite a bit of research, nearly bought a Halford$ Carrera subway, but preferred the GT, even though it was a little bit more pricey second hand than a brand new Carrera.

What else should i be considering purchasing at this early stage? I've got a helmet on the way of course, but im thinking i'll be needing some emergency tools to take out on the road with me. I've got a hi-viz vest (wife rides horses); any other clothing recommended?

I'm also a bit of a gadget freak, so will probably get one of those phone mounting oojamiflips so that i can use Edomondo or MapMyRide while im out and about.

Im also thinking that i'd like to do basic servicing myself at some stage so will, i guess, need tools specific to that at some point.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, and welcome to this great site. You are extremely lucky to be in West Norfolk - because you have some great groups around. You can ride with King's Lynn Bicycle Users Group (BUG) the group campaign for better cycling facilities but also arrange regular social rides aiming at 10 -11mph or there abouts.
If you are fitter and quicker, there is a huge group called Sandringham and West Norfolk Cyclists, they are a social group based on Facebook. Most weekends they have rides arranged for "Improvers" aiming at 12-13mph, "Bog Standard" aiming at 14 - 16mph and a fast group aiming at 16-18mph..... Both groups are free to join and a great source of support and guidance. I am KL based and a keen fettler and ran a number of free bicycle maintenance workshops through SWNC last year - so if you need any help or advice regarding repairs, maintenance etc. feel free to drop me a line. Often, SWNC arrange rides starting from Downham Leisure Centre.....

Hi there and:welcome:

I'm just getting back into cycling (a mate's fault because he's just got into mountain riding) and I also want to lose some weight. I'm only 11stone, BUT since working in a chocolate factory for ten years, I've put some weight and I want to get rid of it.

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
Hi Mark, and welcome to this great site. You are extremely lucky to be in West Norfolk - because you have some great groups around. You can ride with King's Lynn Bicycle Users Group (BUG) the group campaign for better cycling facilities but also arrange regular social rides aiming at 10 -11mph or there abouts.
If you are fitter and quicker, there is a huge group called Sandringham and West Norfolk Cyclists, they are a social group based on Facebook. Most weekends they have rides arranged for "Improvers" aiming at 12-13mph, "Bog Standard" aiming at 14 - 16mph and a fast group aiming at 16-18mph..... Both groups are free to join and a great source of support and guidance. I am KL based and a keen fettler and ran a number of free bicycle maintenance workshops through SWNC last year - so if you need any help or advice regarding repairs, maintenance etc. feel free to drop me a line. Often, SWNC arrange rides starting from Downham Leisure Centre.....

Thanks for that, once I get a bit more confidence and a few more miles under my belt I will certainly consider joining some kind of local club. As for the bike maintenance help, it's much appreciated. If you do any workshops in the future, id definitely be interested.

Top Bottom