Hells bells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In the best tradition of recommendation threads, I would suggest you don't need a bell, invest in some SHOUTING lessons.

You can't say that. The OP wants a.bell so not on giving him a sensible answer. You should at least insult another poster, or ideally make some comparison with Hitler or say "straw man" without understanding what it means. What's the internet coming to - sheesh!

Hyslop

Veteran
Perhaps a bell isnt the answer after all.Lets face it, with the dim and witless meandering aimlessly and plugged into some popular crooner, unaware that a speeding but responsible cyclist is approaching at high speed,or the fat oaf in his tiny car hurling obscenities at the sensitive rider,more volume is needed.So...if Satnav can offer different guidance voices,why not a small(carbon,v.lightweight)speaker emitting the voice of RSM Brittain(other Warrant Officers available).Basic phrases to include "Shift it fatty"-"Are you blind"-"Sorry Mate,couldnt contact you"-"Say that again Sonny".Or indeed personalised phrases chosen by oneself.Off you go then,boffins!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Bells are to be one of Mr Cameron's Red Lines in the present EU renegotiations... He is to demand a horn be fitted!
No ifs, no buts...
You MUST ride with a horn on!

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

I have asked this very same question in my local juicer, it seems the main question is... to which bell end do you refer to? Horn it is then

tyred

Legendary Member
I want one of those musical horns I had on my bike as a kid so I can play police sirens or the Dukes of Hazards theme tune.

In the best tradition of recommendation threads, I would suggest you don't need a bell, invest in some SHOUTING lessons.

I called out 'Afternoon,' as we reached within 5 metres of an elderly gent yesterday, but was told, without any politeness, to 'F*&^ Off', and it was then that I noticed he had earphones in, and we had scared him w(sh)itless.... I looked over my shoulder, and apologised, but he wasn't placated at all.

What is the world coming to?

Despite this behaviour, I think a voice communication is much more personal than a bell.

zacklaws

Guru
Cannot remember why, but I once had a bell on my best road bike as I usually take them off, must have been new, but on one club ride, we got caught up in a sponsored walk on a cycle path which we was forced to ride on as we were not allowed on the road, Humber Bridge. The shared path was packed with walkers and it was a struggle to get through, despite all my bell ringing, it was just ignored. At one point a group of walkers turned around when I rung it and they politely got out of our way. The walkers appeared to be Chinese, after we had got past them, I said to my colleague, that confirms it, my bell must have been made in Hong Kong as the only people who understand what it means is Chinese.

On the way back we rode on the road to avoid the sponsored walk.....and got bollocked.

I want one of those musical horns I had on my bike as a kid so I can play police sirens or the Dukes of Hazards theme tune.

You could play most things on this:

bike-system-4.jpg

Attachments

• bike-system-4.jpg
    bike-system-4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 17

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just spent about an hour reading about replacement wheels. Now that I have wiped the tears of laughter from my face... I think my next upgrage will be a bell. What bell would you recommend, any advice or suggestions welcome, i.e. where would you suggest I stick it?
You don't need a bell... they're totally offensive and are used only by complete nobbers... a simple 'hello' and 'excuse me' is all that's needed.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

#MontyV, people seem to jump out of their skin when a cyclist passes them, even dogs don't seem to know that you are coming. Or maybe I have developed ninja/stealth/cloaking skills on my Raleigh Pioneer without knowing it.

Edit:typo

Top Bottom