Helmet discussions: has anyone ever been persuaded otherwise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
John the Monkey said:
I still wear one.

I'm more informed about it's capabilities, and about the problems around compelling people to wear them than I was though.

Canoeing discussion fascinating, incidentally. Anyone interested in discussion of boxing headgear and associated rotational injury?

Yeah ditto. It's all getting a bit tiring, these debates now.

Drive a car?

An australian paperlooked at head injuries in vehicle occupants and decided that:

5.6.3 Protective Headwear

The most promising occupant head injury countermeasure is headwear designed to provide head
and face injury protection. Designs along the lines of a soft shell bicycle helmet, or simply a
headband containing energy absorbing padding across the forehead and around to the ears, (Figure
3.6) would provide benefits well in excess of other measures listed here and be made available
within months rather than having to wait for appropriately modified new vehicles to come onto the
market.

At between $413 and $476 unit Harm benefit and assuming 2.0 persons per car on average,
protective headwear is likely to be very cost effective. Of course, the impressive financial benefits
shown in this study of up to $380 million annually, even in cars fitted with frontal airbags, would be
entirely dependent upon population compliance with this measure.

In the short term, it is recommended that the use of protective headwear be promoted by means of
demonstration programs to show the benefits likely to accrue to both individuals and the community
at large. This assumes that a range of suitable protective headwear is available, which should be the
obvious first step in any campaign to promote its use in passenger cars.

Monash University > MUARC > Reports and brochures >
Prevention of head injuries to car occupants: an investigation of interior padding options

Federal Office of Road Safety - Report CR 160

Authors: A. J. McLean, B.N. Fildes, C.N. Kloeden, K.H. Digges, R.W.G. Anderson, V.M. Moore & D. A. Simpson
Performing organisations: NHMRC Road Accident Research Unit, University of Adelaide and Monash University Accident Research Centre

Nw why are we not following such obvious and erudite advice?

Honestly Cuno, where do you get this stuff. Do you belong to some x-files type helmet research group, it constantly amazes me what you dredge up in the great and wonderful helmet debate. How you doing on proving the earth is flat, any progress?

montage

God Almighty
Cunobelin, if somebody asked you in person if they should wear a helmet, yes or no (not "it is your own choice") ... and they would stick to this no matter how many times they road etc, what would your answer be?

I am not intending on having a dig or anything.....just very intrigued as to whether you are anti helmet or anti helmet compulsion. Feel free to PM me an answer if you dont want to stick it on here :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
montage said:
Cunobelin, if somebody asked you in person if they should wear a helmet, yes or no (not "it is your own choice") ... and they would stick to this no matter how many times they road etc, what would your answer be?
It's a false dichotomy though.

Personally, I'd answer "have a look, and decide for yourself".

Interstingly, an Australian company did market a car helmet - details here;

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/05/motoring-helmets-for-real-high-risk.html

Danny

Legendary Member
I was persuaded to wear one by a neuro-surgeon who provided some pretty graphic examples of cycling head injuries she had dealt with, and who was convinced that helmets do provide protection.

Of course the fact that I was trying to persuade her to go out with me at the time had nothing to do with my decision.

montage said:

I am not intending on having a dig or anything.....just very intrigued as to whether you are anti helmet or anti helmet compulsion. Feel free to PM me an answer if you dont want to stick it on here :biggrin:

I am anti emotional blackmail and bullying and pro INFORMED choice.

I like to make people think about this and it is that simple.

The way that the "Soup through a straw" brigade find not wearing a helmet unacceptable, but then use the same criteria to decide not to wear a helmet as a pedestrian or car driver is entirely hypocritical and only just above gutter level.

There is evidence on both sides and it is entirely up to you to make a choice on your evaluation of this evidence.

Danny said:
I was persuaded to wear one by a neuro-surgeon who provided some pretty graphic examples of cycling head injuries she had dealt with, and who was convinced that helmets do provide protection.

Of course the fact that I was trying to persuade her to go out with me at the time had nothing to do with my decision.

We had a Nurse on one of our violence and aggression courses who in the middle of a session who was presenting had a go at a young lad for not wearing a cycle helmet - So I asked her on what evidence she based her position. She was unable to reply.

The nursing and medical professions are very poor at presenting the actual evidence here that cyclists are only a small minority of the head injuries they deal with

Taba

bonj said:
Personally I'm in favour of making them compulsory.
stir.gif

The way I see it is, no-one would question why motorcyclers are forced to wear a helmet - so why shouldn't cyclists be?

I would question why anyone should be forced to wear a helmet in any situation (perhaps minors could be forced by their parents though), I think it should be their own choice, the same way it is (thankfully) for us cyclists.

I've never owned a helmet, partly because ones I have borrowed have been uncomfortable and unsightly. Partly because the money I would spend on one that isn't either of those I always felt would be better spent elsewhere.

I'm moving back to civilisation (manchester) again soon and considering that I will be cycling everywhere as usual, I felt perhaps a good helmet might be a good investment. I was still very much unsure though and the subsequent doubt that has been cast on their actual safety benefits have whilst researching on't web have swung me towards not buying one, for now at least. Thats another 30-50 towards my fixi project then...

Apologies for the ancient thread ressurection.

The way that the "Soup through a straw" brigade find not wearing a helmet unacceptable, but then use the same criteria to decide not to wear a helmet as a pedestrian or car driver is entirely hypocritical and only just above gutter level.
...? In a car you're strapped in, and so not likely to hit your head on something in a crash - nevermind modern airbags and things. On a bike you're likely to fall off and meet a hard pavement/tar. I'm not seeing equal risk factors here.

Also, pedestrians would only be at risk when crossing a road (barring someone mounting a pavement). The odds of someone falling over and clouting their head are much smaller than someone falling off their bike and clouting their head, surely?

Well I've always worn a helmet and also believe that they are of benefit, even if there is no solid proof either way.

I now am even more convinced that they are worth their weight in gold for safety, as I unfortunately found out today that they work, I was hit by a car that the driver decided that as he was coming towards me, I was almost level with his wing he would try and turn right, all I remember is the initial oh shoot and seeing his headlight/bumper hit my front wheel. Eyewitnesses accounts are that he hit me, I went up and over the bonnet and came down on my head, my helmet a specialized D2 broke in 2 places, but I only suffered mild concussion and a few minor cuts and bruises, the bike is bust up and probably going to need at least a frameset and front wheel (his insurers are going to love this as Scott Addicts and Zipps don't come cheap, let alone and of the Sram Red or Ritchey that maybe damaged too).

So for me landing head first after being hit, the doctors, paramedic's and police all said my helmet saved me big time, oh and the Garmin said I was doing 27.2 when I was hit, so helmets work at proper speeds too.

Time to go and buy a new one I think and send the bill to his insurers ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
SavageHoutkop said:
...? In a car you're strapped in, and so not likely to hit your head on something in a crash - nevermind modern airbags and things. On a bike you're likely to fall off and meet a hard pavement/tar. I'm not seeing equal risk factors here.

Also, pedestrians would only be at risk when crossing a road (barring someone mounting a pavement). The odds of someone falling over and clouting their head are much smaller than someone falling off their bike and clouting their head, surely?

I think that was the point that poster was making - that lots of pedestrians do trip and hit their head when walking along the pavement or in their house.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
HeartAttack said:
Well I've always worn a helmet and also believe that they are of benefit, even if there is no solid proof either way.

I now am even more convinced that they are worth their weight in gold for safety, as I unfortunately found out today that they work, I was hit by a car that the driver decided that as he was coming towards me, I was almost level with his wing he would try and turn right, all I remember is the initial oh shoot and seeing his headlight/bumper hit my front wheel. Eyewitnesses accounts are that he hit me, I went up and over the bonnet and came down on my head, my helmet a specialized D2 broke in 2 places, but I only suffered mild concussion and a few minor cuts and bruises, the bike is bust up and probably going to need at least a frameset and front wheel (his insurers are going to love this as Scott Addicts and Zipps don't come cheap, let alone and of the Sram Red or Ritchey that maybe damaged too).

So for me landing head first after being hit, the doctors, paramedic's and police all said my helmet saved me big time, oh and the Garmin said I was doing 27.2 when I was hit, so helmets work at proper speeds too.

Time to go and buy a new one I think and send the bill to his insurers ;)

Bad luck - how are you feeling now?.... and what are you doing posting on a board at 1am in the morning:biggrin: hope you are safely tucked up in bed now and that you won't be too achy when you get up this morning.

Top Bottom