Helmet or no helmet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. In Holland for two weeks and 300 miles I didn't.
Coming home I automatically didn't as a result and feel that I do get given more room by cars.
They were mostly completely over the central lines passing me.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you are referring to the study I think you are referring to, I'm not convinced...

Me neither! I eneded up reading that 'study' yesterday after reading a poll on another forum about helmets yes, helmets no or helmets for kids.

It's easy to go out and prove one of your own hunches and report data findings in a biased way, like research that shows more red cars are involved in collisions, and report that 'statistics suggest' that other coloured cars are actually safer than red ones :blush:.

Back to helmets, it's all down to choice... I choose not to.

My nephew's aren't allowed out on their bikes without a helmet, so they never go out on their bikes, which is a shame.

Me neither! I eneded up reading that 'study' yesterday after reading a poll on another forum about helmets yes, helmets no or helmets for kids.

It's easy to go out and prove one of your own hunches and report data findings in a biased way, like research that shows more red cars are involved in collisions, and report that 'statistics suggest' that other coloured cars are actually safer than red ones :blush:.

Back to helmets, it's all down to choice... I choose not to.

My nephew's aren't allowed out on their bikes without a helmet, so they never go out on their bikes, which is a shame.

It was (partialy) backed up by a DfT study that showed images of cyclists to car drivers. Whereas they would give room to a child or female dressed in normal clothes, it was thought unneccessary to do so for cycists in helmets and cycle clothing.

The thought process was that these riders were more experienced and able to cope with road conditions - hence there was no reason to either slow down or give room when passing.

The papers recommendation included better driver training

sundaram

I bought a helmet but I am not wearing it these days as I felt it was not necessary at all. Up the hill I would feel it may be essential to wear it.

gmac190

Über Member
Always a helmet for me, I'm in a job that see's some cyclists having some nasty falls and in one case particular a guy went head first in to railings. The only thing that pretty much saved him was his helmet.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Always a helmet for me, I'm in a job that see's some cyclists having some nasty falls and in one case particular a guy went head first in to railings. The only thing that pretty much saved him was his helmet.

Wow.. good thing I don't have to cycle through any railings on my commutes.
wacko.gif

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Railings in the road, what is the world coming to. I think a strongly worded letter to the council is in order...

Railings injure far more cyclists than pedestrians?

StuartG

slower but further
And I went head first into a bollard. Was it NOT wearing a helmet that saved me?

This, and your, anecdotes is worthless in any meaningful discussion on cycle safety. It is down to good scientific research to show which is the best option. Except there isn't any. Just some suggestive stuff which others (usually not the researcher) then overstate.

That's the point really. It is the absence of good solid evidence that makes you worry about the efficacy of the helmet movement.

gmac190

Über Member
And I went head first into a bollard. Was it NOT wearing a helmet that saved me?

This, and your, anecdotes is worthless in any meaningful discussion on cycle safety. It is down to good scientific research to show which is the best option. Except there isn't any. Just some suggestive stuff which others (usually not the researcher) then overstate.

That's the point really. It is the absence of good solid evidence that makes you worry about the efficacy of the helmet movement.

This is a discussion forum and it is here for folk like me to state their views whether or not you agree with any of it is entirely up to you. My worthless anecdotes as you so kindly put it, satisfy me that and maybe others that a helmet is worth while. If you choose not to wear it then that is your choice.

sandman77

This is a discussion forum and it is here for folk like me to state their views whether or not you agree with any of it is entirely up to you. My worthless anecdotes as you so kindly put it, satisfy me that and maybe others that a helmet is worth while. If you choose not to wear it then that is your choice.

Seriously Graham, don't get involved in this argument. The whole helmet or no helmet argument has been going on for years and it wont get resolved any time soon. All I know is that if I am ever involved in an accident on my bike I want to be wearing my helmet. You will never convince me not to wear one and you will never convince non-helmet cyclists to wear one. Each to their own.
I know in my old work where I worked closely with the road safety team and cycling team this issue was almost taboo. They didn't want to bleet on about wearing a helmet because it can put people off cycling and thus be detrimental to encouraging cycling (and all the benefits that come of it).

StuartG

slower but further
This is a discussion forum and it is here for folk like me to state their views whether or not you agree with any of it is entirely up to you. My worthless anecdotes as you so kindly put it, satisfy me that and maybe others that a helmet is worth while.
And why is my worthless anecdote not an antidote? What makes one anecdote superior to another?

I mean if helmets do provide significantly more safety why should I not wear one? I am willing to be convinced they work. Would you not be prepared to change your opinion if the evidence pointed the other way? It is just that the convincing evidence either way does seem a bit thin on the ground.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
I'm getting bored of seeing this thread.

Wear a helmet if you think it's reasonable to and it will help any head injuries.

Don't wear a helmet if you think it's all stupid and cycling isn't dangerous.

In short, it's up to you.

/thread

Hands up, guilty as charged, sorry I ever started it! Me and my mate go LEJOG next Wed and he's just knackered his back (not sure if he wearing his helmet!!) how best to get him at the start line???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom