Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, i never wear one

• Only for commuting

• Only when i'm fitness / pleasure riding

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
It occurs to me while out commuting, or pleasure riding for that matter....i never wear a helmet. I used to, but then thought...i've never fallen, or been knocked off a bike.
I wear 90% of the rest of the gear, but no helmet...and i seem to stick out from the rest while riding.

Wearer or not ?

Mr Pig

Good point. In fact it's made me think. All that extra weight, I'm going to remove the ABS and traction control from my car, take the seat belts and air bags out. After all, I've never been in a crash.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I expect my Daughter to wear one, no reason why I shouldn't do it myself. Also helps keep sun off my baldy head and draws more air around it to keep cooler.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Uncle Mort said:
Another poll I can't really vote in as none of the answers fit. I wear one most of the time, except when the weather is warm.

I did vote yes, but its not 100% of the time. Started as I wanted my children to wear them (thinner skulls, more likely to have low speed mucking around accidents), its now become a habit (and keeps the hair out of my face which is a safety issue:biggrin:).

mondobongo

Über Member
Everytime. Had a big off on an MTB once helmet took the impact, dont want to think about if hadn't had it on, that convinced me. Although on my list of wants is a new 'svelte like' helmet.

Mr Pig

The other week there I found a nice mountain bike for a mate who wants to get into cycling. I've also been suggesting other bits and bobs he should get. On Saturday I mentioned something about a helmet to him and he said "Oh you don't need to tell me about those, I've got one already"

He explained that his uncle had been coming up to a junction when a passing car squeezed him. Didn't hit him, just pinched him enough that he wobbled and clipped the kerb. Wasn't going fast but flipped over the bars and hit his head on the kerb. He died of his injuries.

My helmet has taken a few impacts on my behalf. You guys can do what you want.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
Good point. In fact it's made me think. All that extra weight, I'm going to remove the ABS and traction control from my car, take the seat belts and air bags out. After all, I've never been in a crash.

This is one of the points i'm thinking about. It makes sense to wear one, but based on what ?
I'm 50...been riding for 40 plus years, and never fallen off (well actually i can remember once)...
Your point about the car is irrelevant..if i'd said i'd removed the brakes because i'd never used them, you'd be right.
So if you wear a helmet...why stop there. Why not full body armour as well :biggrin: (at this point i know your head is hard to repair, where your arms legs etc can be fixed..so dont throw that one at me)

Personally, i find a helmet hot and uncomfortable. I find the wind in my hair refreshing and cooling. Ive benefitted from ridden thousands and thousands of incident free, refreshing, cool miles. So why wear a helmet ?

I used to wear, but the irony is, i wore it on my countryside rides, but not commuting. There was far more chance of needing the helmet while commuting. Thats when i stopped wearing.

I'm not knocking them BTW. I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to wear...just interested in anyone elses thoughts.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Not having all the options available to peoples individual circumstances is inevitable BTW...i should maybe have included a 'i sometimes wear, sometimes not' option, but too late now.
I'm generally interested in peoples thoughts on the matter...not the statistics, although its interesting anyway.
The poll ?...Near enough is good enough for me.

Danny

Legendary Member
mondobongo said:
Everytime. Had a big off on an MTB once helmet took the impact, dont want to think about if hadn't had it on, that convinced me. Although on my list of wants is a new 'svelte like' helmet.
Cunobelin will be along shortly to explain that you wouldn't have had the crash if you hadn't been unbalanced by your helmet :biggrin:

Danny said:
Cunobelin will be along shortly to explain that you wouldn't have had the crash if you hadn't been unbalanced by your helmet :biggrin:

He will also no doubt tell that if everyone followed his 'never broken the speed limit in his life whilst driving' - 'EVER', there would be no crashes any more and this is the root cause of all accidents :cry:

Top Bottom