Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, i never wear one

• Only for commuting

• Only when i'm fitness / pleasure riding

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Crackle said:
I was thinking that. :cry:

is it too early to mention Nazism, do I lose points?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Mr Pig said:
My helmet has taken a few impacts on my behalf.
I hope you replaced it after each of them. Unless it's a particularly unusual design (more common in skate helmets than cycle helmets) it's only good for a single impact.

asterix

Comrade Member
I've hit my head on the garage door a few times whilst helmetted. Should I have replaced it (the helmet, not my head, or maybe both).

Anyway, hurtling down the dales yesterday it occurred to me that: helmet versus dry-stone wall? No contest.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
(I can't resist rising to a nice juicy bit of bait...)

There is indeed the rotational one: broken neck, as against a bit of grazing.
There's the 'useless above 12 MPH' one.
There's the 'motorists drive closer' one.
There's the 'compensatory behaviour' one (feel safer, ride riskier)
And (socially speaking) there's the 'wherever implemented, compulsion has seen rates of cycling drop off a cliff' one. (In NSW, eg, where cycling among teenage girls fell 88%. Tackling obesity anyone?)

I never used to wear one, then started wearing it, and now I'm scared not to wear. Almost seems like tempting fate - the one time I don't wear it, I will come off or something like that. So, looks like I'm stuck with it - although they totally mess my hair up! :cry:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Without an independent study on head injuries I don't think we can do any more than speculate about how much use they are in impacts above 12mph, and without any evidence as to whether they are 'life savers' or not I don't think we should judge the choice of others.

If you want to wear one, wear one. If you don't, don't. I used to wear one in London, but don't any more (less street furniture here). As well as Crackle's additions there's also the fact that the added weight and size of the helmet means you might hit your head on the ground, when otherwise you would not.

Once when I was knocked over sideways by a pedestrian I had a stiff neck from the effort my body had instictively gone to to keep my head off the floor. With a helmet on I think I'd have smacked my head as the extra weight would have pulled me down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Almost always wear one - don't if popping half a mile to the shop though.

Buy a good one, they are light, well vented and look half decent.

Road rash is not pleasant on your scalp....

scook94

Veteran
swee said:
Okay, I can see that one
swee said:
Again, agreed. But that's not why I wear one as a newb, my average speed on rides isn't much more than 12mph! I'm more concerned about losing concentration while admiring scenery and riding into a ditch. (almost happened a few times already!)
swee said:
Don't buy this one at all. As a motorist I've never looked to see if a cyclists is wearing a helmet to see if I should give a wide berth or not.
swee said:
Well there's no accounting for stupidity, hopefully doesn't apply in my case!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mostly no.

for cyclocross: Yes, because it's compulsory.

for time-trialling: Sometimes, because it has a clear benefit (pointy type only)

for utility riding (shopping and trailer trips), commuting and most leisure rides: No

for group riding: Sometimes, mostly not.

U

User169

scook94 said:

Don't buy this one at all. As a motorist I've never looked to see if a cyclists is wearing a helmet to see if I should give a wide berth or not.

There is a purported demonstration of motorists giving non-helmeted cyclists a wider berth - see Ian Walker's work at the University of Bath. Mind you, he did find that dressing as a tranny is pretty effective too..

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Delftse Post said:
There is a purported demonstration of motorists giving non-helmeted cyclists a wider berth - see Ian Walker's work at the University of Bath. Mind you, he did find that dressing as a tranny is pretty effective too..
Never wear a helmet, always wear a frock.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would say it's an almost impossible question to answer as each and every accident will be different.

Top Bottom