Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, i never wear one

• Only for commuting

• Only when i'm fitness / pleasure riding

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
HeartAttack said:
Personally I couldn't give a flying F whether you like or agree with me, thats the beauty of open forums in a country that allows differing views.

But I do remember many years ago the same crap arguments about seat belts being made compulsory, and maybe I should have sued the government at the time for the broken ribs I sustained when I was hit head on by a drunk driver, the ribs were broken by the seat belt not the collision directly. Or what about the car manufacturer who fitted air bags that caused surface burns to my neck when it went off? Though at least I'm still here, I'd rather take a small additional injury over being buried.

As for helmets not working at over 12mph maybe we should ask the likes of Thor Hushovd how he felt after smacking down on his head in the lead out to the line at the Tour of Flanders, helmet broke but he's still riding, but maybe he was doing less than 12mph. Or maybe the UCI and the rest have it all wrong and its all about fashion statements, cause lets face it racers never hit the deck.

Hang on as you are going of in a bit of a tangent here. How often do you often get involved in bunch sprints ? The chance of an accident in these sort of scenario's are much higher as it only takes 1 small error and half the peleton go down.

Why do you think they should be compulsary ?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ya gots ta love helmet threads! :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
gbb said:
A pro wearing group will disregard anything that doesnt suit their arguement...and the same goes for the anti wearing brigade.

BUT.... the one difference that always comes out in these discussions is that some in the pro wear group think it should be compulsary where as the non wear group say if you want to wear one go ahead, it's your choice.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Good point FF.

All we are saying....

Is give us a choice....

Also 'I do remember many years ago the same crap arguments about seat belts being made compulsory'...do you? I was around then and I don't. Which ones?

Dave5N

Über Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
BUT.... the one difference that always comes out in these discussions is that some in the pro wear group think it should be compulsary where as the non wear group say if you want to wear one go ahead, it's your choice.

Does it?

I wear one.

I insist any rider I coach or who is riding on a facility in my control wears one. I hate putting them on, but frankly once on, I can't say I ever notice it outsie a race. And they are obligatory then , in more extreme conditios than we see just riding on the road.

I don't see what the problem is really. A lot less effort in getting ready than making sure you have a spare tube, or putting proper shorts on.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"I don't see what the problem is really."

Sorry, but in that case you really need to do some homework and some thinking.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I wear one all the time. I have listened to the arguments for and against and have decided that I stand a better chance of walking away from an accident if I wear one. I do not feel immortal with the lid on and don't take stupid chances, I just like to have the odds in my favour.

dudi

I wear one whenever i'm out riding on the road. It's a habit i'm in now.

I dont think the potential danger of rotational injury in any way outweighs the potential benefits of having a helmet in a low speed impact. and let's be honest, we're not exactly going fast on our bikes... I normally don't get much above 30mph, and that's only for a few seconds (fixie, no freewheeling, and in suffolk so no big long hills to ride down).

In any case, it makes my wife feel hapier about me spending hours out cycling... :angry:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Dave5N said:
I don't see what the problem is really. A lot less effort in getting ready than making sure you have a spare tube, or putting proper shorts on.
My spare tube is sitting in my pannier already. "Proper shorts"? For a four mile trip to work? I dunno, you tell me why I'd want to spent the day walking around in lycra.

The argument against compulsory seat belt wearing goes like this; drivers have a sense of their own mortality and anything which makes drivers feel safer allows them to go faster. Straighten out a 'dangerous' bend to make it safer and they'll go faster through it, transferring the accidents to the next bend in the road.

When seat belts were introduced there was no great reduction of injuries to motorists but KSIs involving cars and vulnerable road users (cyclists and peds) increased by 15% (as LCC claimed at the time). Motorists 'used up' the extra safety. It's called risk compensation. A similar thing happened with the introduction of motorcycle helmets, no significant reduction in the death rate amongst motorcyclists, they rode faster because they felt safer. Accidents between motorbikes and cyclists/peds increased.

I know I ride faster when I'm wearing a helmet, just as I would drive more carefully if I weren't wearing a seat belt and there is some evidence to suggest that motorists treat helmeted cyclists differently to unhelmeted riders.

It's been much quoted but (Richard Ballantine's?) idea that motorists would drive a lot more carefully if there was a spike sticking out of the steering wheel is a great way of understanding risk compensation.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sittingduck said:
Ya gots ta love helmet threads! :angry:

It seems to be slightly different from the normal ones as the OP was asking for our individual reasons for what we do, rather than whether we all should or shouldn't.

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:

There was a recent comment by the anti side (not on this thread) which stated that if I wore a helmet then I was voting for compulsion for everyone. I don't think there should be compulsion but that I have the right to wear a helmet if I wish.

Equally if I don't wear a helmet and I am involved in a collision with a car (not my fault) I shouldn't (can't remember the right phase) have been contributely negligent for the accident because of not wearing the helmet.

Downward

Guru
I do but forgot one day last week.
When the wife found it at home she phoned to give me a proper telling off.
I shall expect my kids to wear ones so I will have to set an example.

betty swollocks

large member
I deliberately do not wear a helmet.
This is a reaction to all the bullshit and bullshitters telling me that I should.
You wear a helmet if you want to and if you feel that you need to set an example.
I have no quarrel with this.
Just don't try to impose your views and values on me.
I've read all the for and against arguments many times over and made my decision.
I will stand by it. So there!

Tel

Veteran
I was involved in a crash with a car last week and wasn't wearing a helmet. I got up and walked away unscathed, but it certainly made me think. You see a lot of cyclist wearing them now and I am of the view that something has gotta be better than nothing. When the car turned in front of me I slowed as much as I could before the impact, that is human nature but I still hit it with some force.

As I rode away I thought how lucky I was, the outcome could have been very different and with a wife and kids it doesn't bare thinking about. Ironically I was a keen cyclist when I was younger and flew about every where taking risks that I wouldn't dream of taking now, in that time I never had an accident with a car. 3 or 4 weeks back in the saddle and I get hit on a gentle'ish ride to work.

I'll get myself a hat the only thing I need to overcome is my self consciousness...

BTW the tragic incident of the TT'ist that died recently whilst competing was wearing a helmet from what I can gather.

Top Bottom