Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, i never wear one

• Only for commuting

• Only when i'm fitness / pleasure riding

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've never got on my bike without it.

when i broke my collar bone i also knocked myself out for 1/2 hour and had to have stitches across the top of my eye. i'm pretty sure i'd be a cabbage now if i hadn't been wearing my helmet.

Abitrary

I think the best way to work out whether a helmet is useful is to ask serious mountain bikers how often they have cracked a helmet.

dav1d

I don't currently use a helmet, but now my maximum speed is above 30mph, I'm wondering if it would be best to get one?

Will1985

Über Member
Up until my first crash last October, I only wore a helmet for leisure/training. I didn't see my 2km reasonably quiet commute to uni as a crash risk (plus lugging a helmet around) and consequently got a scrape on the head.
Second crash was very fast and a helmet wouldn't have made much of a difference but somehow there wasn't a single scratch/bump on it.
Third crash last month - I am so glad I was wearing a proper helmet and not a fairing (in a TT). I probably did hit my head and there was a scratch in the helmet so it did its job.

Abitrary said:
I think the best way to work out whether a helmet is useful is to ask serious mountain bikers how often they have cracked a helmet.

................... and then why they are making so many mistakes that put them in this position?

PPE should be the last resort - you should be looking at why the accidents are occurrring and then doing everything possible to prevent the accident

Only then should the use of PPE such as a helmet be considered. Of course it could also be argued that the helmet is actually encouraging the poor technique and judgement as a result of risk compensation.....

on the road

Über Member
None of the above.

I've got a helmet, But:

I don't wear one all the time.
I don't never wear one, just on very rare occasions.
I don't commute.
Fitnes and pleasure is the only riding I do, so I might wear one but very rarely.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Abitrary said:

Quite right. You don't want to ask flippant mountain bikers.

Will1985

Über Member
montage said:
how much protection those aero helmets (fairing?) actually give? or are they just for aerodynamic reasons?
The newer ones are much like any other helmet. My Giro Advantage 2 (2008) was the first Giro TT helmet to be CPSC certified (the American standard which is higher than BS/EN I think). In 2007 the Advantage had less foamy protection so was legal in Europe but not in the States. You can also get fairings like the MDT one which are just that - won't do anything in a crash.

Top Bottom