Help please - I've just broken my toilet...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

puddleglum

I've just read the thread about bathrooms and I'm starting to think my suite came from B and Q... ;)
Basically, I flushed the loo and the handle snapped off in my hand. When I removed the lid it looks like a cheap plastic thing that has just snapped full stop. Right where the handle joins the rest of the flush mechanism. I can still flush it from the inside. What I need to know is, what new thing do I need to buy (probably from B and Q) and can I fit it myself?

There are a couple of different types.

Take a pic of it and show it to the Plumbing guy at B&Q, or better still find a local plumbing supplier and they will know straight away.

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

I have now examined it in detail and spoken to the practically inclined housemate...
I can probably get away with buying a new handle and fitting that myself. But that was a good plan, a photo won't do any harm. And as i work right next to a B and Q, I can pop in later. The thought of getting a plumber in freaks me slightly

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You should be able to buy a new handle, and it should come with the lever that fits onto the cistern plunger. The handle has a plastic nut that fastens it to the tank. It is very easy to replace.

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

Thanks - it's the 'lever' that broke, or rather the bit where the actual handle fastens onto it. i know a bit of toilet terminlogy now ;).
I phoned housemate straight away, who congratulated me on not repairing it with a pritt stick and waiting for it to come away in her hand. I suppose that's progress....

snakehips

puddleglum said:
The thought of getting a plumber in freaks me slightly

Quite rightly !

And please do take some photos , and post them , I'm really enjoying the other thread with the bathroom piccies.

Sorry I don't have any pics of my bathroom to share .....

snakehips.jpg

... but bikes , that's different

Snakehips Bikes

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Puddleglum - I've managed to replace the inside workings of a toilet cisterne before so I'm sure you'll be able to manage to change just the handle. I don't think it will be difficult (but I'm not taking any responsibility if you get water everywhere!)

Mr Pig

Dude, if fixing a toilet handle taxes your technical ability you're in a bad way. I hope you've got a good job as if not life is going to be rather expensive for you.

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

it's more that I get very cack handed and can see straight away how things work, but actually getting my fingers and thumbs to do what they're supposed to is a different matter!
And being a bit hypermobile, I randomly had my arm twisted round in a weird way when I flushed it :biggrin:
I bought the part in B and Q last night for a fiver, so good old housemate can fix it when she gets in....
Helen and everyone - thanks for the encouragement, and yup, life gets VERY expensive!

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

Mr Pig said:
Wait until you have kids! ;0)

A-ha, very, very unlikely, aged 38, with not an inkling of maternal instinct! In fact, I was only discussing with my mum last night how odd it is thatwhen workmates go off on maternity leave, lots of other (mostly female) collegues coo over pieces of fabric, er, I mean baby clothes donated to pregnant workmate.
anyway that's another thread.....
My poor loo has enough to cope with already :biggrin:

Top Bottom