Herne Hill Velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
we just had a bit of rain here too about a mile and a half from the track ! we all just turn up and see.

BigSteev

I hope not! lol. If there are. they're not mine - I was struggling to keep up without trying to take pics as well.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Not long home but got soaked through in the last 2 miles, nice!

Anyhow, great fun, very diferant but hard work, am aching.

Thanks again steve for organising this, should make this a regular feature!

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Well that was great fun, will be definatley getting or building a fixed at some point, I found muscles I didn't know I had!
Now that we have all been induced we can turn up for the saturday or tuesday evening events. I would like to do it again

Really good there were no accidents, and the rain held off til now.

simgsxr

Wow, that was different. Very alien riding with a fixed gear, just got to remember to keep pedalling, dont STOP!! This was an excellent day out, really enjoyed it. As said before, big thanks to Steve for organising this,the weather was kind & good to meet Davywalnuts, Redjedi, DJ, Brahan (far too fast) & Bigsteev. Definitely would like to do again. Thanks to Rob who took charge of us & told us what to do, all in all a very enjoyable day + a good pint after in the good company of the above & Nigel & Alan.

Cayopro

Yes, great hour long session, wasnt sure to start with as it was all new, fixed gear, no brakes, banks..........(big banks too), drop bars etc, but after a good intro by Rob, it all made sense, good bunch of cc people again, thanks to Simon for the cool limo service, there and back, again, a BIG thanks to Steve for making the session happen, will probably give it a go again sometime, maybe nearer home !!

redjedi

Über Member
Thanks Steve for organising a great day out.

Over a week of no cycling and having the flu followed by a track session has left me aching all over, but I still enjoyed it.

No photos Martin as no-one had a camera and there wasn't much time to take them. I decided against trying to take photos with my phone whilst on the move a-la TC1 ;)

Brahan

Über Member
Thanks very much Steve for arranging everything! Nice one dude.

Arriving last meant that I secured myself one of the old tatty bikes while the rest of the lads were atop Herne Hill's brand spanking new Fujis. The one I got looked like it had seen much better days - about 50 years ago. The hour was very well structured for us newbies where all the dos and don'ts were explained so we were all pretty confident to be left to ourselves and crack on.

I would have loved to have made the pub afterwards but had to cycle back to Grinstead where I got a good soaking on the way - typical. I was shot when I got home too, not enough food or drink during the day meant that I was running on empty for the last couple of miles.

I'm definately up for the next one and a pint after......cheers guys.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Oh what a great time we had. Thanks must go to Rob our coach for the day. He did a fantastic job of telling us what to do without making us feel like idiots (not an easy task), he managed to break us all in gradually inspiring confidence along the way. It is a shame that we could not contact Grace to come along to photograph us in all our glory. No one will believe us now we all could have given Chris Hoy a run for his money :sad:

We ended up with much more track time than we had booked more than an hour and a half on track which makes the £65 fee a fantastic bargain, even for the three that paid £10 each and had to shoot off missing the pint at the pub got good value. That pint of extra cold Guinness did go down well. :rolleyes:

I am willing to sort another session out later in the year if people want one either at Herne Hill or if available the Gosling Stadium in Welwyn Garden City. If others want to join us next time I could try and arrange with Rob for them to have a short induction session before the main group session. So no excuses from those that missed out this time Aperitif, TC1, TC2 and all you others that could not make it.

I have enough scars and 'dinks' to last a lifetime steve! Besides, riding round in circles is something I find satisfying when finding my way somewhere...:sad:
Actually, if the weather had been a bit more promising in C London yesterday, I might have come along to watch.
Glad you all had a successful day though.

Top Bottom