Herts CC Ride 7th March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm just writing my thesis now...

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Who ate all the pies?

The postponed CC Sunny Hertfordshire ride has finally taken place!

I left home by car at 7:45am to head towards Hertford, somewhere I’ve never previously visited, which involved basically cycling to Stansted Airport and overshooting a bit.

Steve was waiting at the railway station, along with BleakAndDivine who had also come by car. We were directed to a convenient parking location which also had the benefit of a loo (and I was reminded once again of the inconvenience of wearing bib tights for this sort of procedure). BleakAndDivine reported that he’d passed Aperitif, Gezza and Davywalnuts on his way to Hertford so we knew they were on the road!

When we had unpacked the bikes and returned to the station where Steve was still waiting, SigSilverprinter had arrived. It was apparent that she and I shop at the same designer outlets – we had matching Aldi jackets and Aldi socks. I swapped my jacket for a high-vis one for the ride but the socks remained the same!

We then cycled to Hertford North station where we were picking up some more people. No-one by train, as it happened, but Steve’s friend Trevor was there and after a few minutes Aperitif, Gezza and Davywalnuts arrived. Gezza promptly turned round and went home again – obviously didn’t like the look of us! Or perhaps it was something to do with a football match…

My initial 'hello' to Aperitif may have startled him as I asked to squeeze his bicep. He acquiesced, however, so I had the thrill of touching a famous burly lycra-clad athlete. See: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=609525&postcount=44

We lost Davy for about half an hour as he trotted off to the loo (and possibly had a burger and chips, or chatted up some random station attendant, or something?) and then once he returned a couple of other chaps decided to use the loos too. Eventually we set off! With Steve leading from the front… mostly:
DSCF4765.jpg

We were very quickly out into countryside and it turned out to be a beautiful day – blue skies, fluffy clouds, that kind of thing. It was a surprisingly hilly ride (at least, it surprised me!) but the pace was manageable and I’m used to my position trundling along at the back up hills.
DSCF4766.jpg

And a couple of seconds later, once I’ve been overtaken again!...
DSCF4767.jpg

The roads were generally fairly quiet, if rather potholey in places. And hilly.
DSCF4764.jpg

And I mean hilly. Although I think my Garmin GPS may have been overreading a fraction, at one point it told me I was going up a 63% slope. The weird thing is that Bleakanddivine’s GPS had us doing about 20%. Mine sounds more impressive, however!

We stopped for breathers now and again and to let me catch up but the group stayed together reasonably well – perhaps only having 7 people helped (an eighth joined us later).
DSCF4771.jpg

DSCF4772.jpg

Immediately after this stop (to admire the windmill) Davywalnuts picked up a puncture. Steve and I were ahead so we carried on down the hill whilst the rest stayed to help Davy. This was useful as I had been worrying how to share my four squares of chocolate amongst seven people; as it was just Steve and I waiting at the bottom of the hill I was able to give him one square and eat the other three myself. Result!

Davy clearly has real skills in inner tube purchasing as he managed to buy a pre-punctured spare tube. The repairers used three different bicycle pumps on the tube before realising the problem. Fortunately a different spare tube fixed the problem and the rest of the group eventually appeared at the bottom of the hill.

Eventually it was time for the lunch stop at a change of venue so that TheDoctor could join us there. We arrived and it was clear TheDoctor had already arrived on his Cool Bike:
DSCF4773.jpg

So we tied up all our bikes and went in for some lunch.

The pub was rather posher than we were expecting. The menu had lots of French-sounding meals, lots of duck, that sort of thing. No burger and chips in evidence. We had cups of tea and beers and found a corner to sit in with a view of the bikes to keep an eye on them; at this point someone ran off with TheDoctor’s mini BMX but as we hadn’t seen him yet we weren’t too bothered. He arrived about 10 minutes later.

So it was time to move on, although the obligatory group shot came first!

L-R Back: Davywalnuts, Aperitif, Trevor (friend of Stevevw), Stevevw, TheDoctor
L-R Front: Bleakanddivine, SigSilverprinter, Auntie Helen
DSCF4777.jpg

And lo and behold, about 100 metres from the pub, DavyWalnuts had another puncture! This time four of us were ahead so we waited in a layby next to a field with a bit of entertainment with a young girl trying to put a halter on one horse while its friend kept getting in the way. It was also amusing to watch as she nearly lost a welly in the mud.

Hours later (apparently another spare inner-tube was pre-punctured), the rest of the gang appeared and we carried on. This included the aforementioned 63% gradient hill which went on for quite a long time but I managed to conquer without the granny ring. The weather was still wonderful and some of the views were stunning.

Eventually we stopped for another pitstop at a garden centre. A large choice of cakes presented itself; I went for a proper cream tea with clotted cream and jam (yum). DavyWalnuts decided to make himself the subject of the age-old cry “who ate all the pies?”
DSCF4780.jpg

Then we set off for the final leg. We passed another rider on a recumbent trike, in fact a Trice Q (same as mine). He was wearing a lot of fluorescent orange and this so blinded me I didn’t notice (but others did) that he apparently had a windsock, rather than a flag, flying on his trike. Novel!

Trevor peeled off just before the end as he lived in another direction. When questioned we discovered he didn’t have a whole lot of doughnuts and cakes at home so we didn’t detour with him to snaffle them (we had been fed some fairy cakes by SigSilverprinter earlier).

We said goodbye to Aperitif and Davywalnuts at the North Station, as well as SigSilverprinter whose lift appeared unexpectedly (he’d got lost on the way to the other station). We hoped that Davy would get home OK without any further punctures.

Steve, TheDoctor, Bleakanddivine and I made our way to the car park and scattered our own separate ways in due course.

I logged 43 miles and had a great day. Thanks all, and thanks to Stevevw for organising it (and for doing a swish modification on a broken mirror arm!)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Indeed it was, Longers. The good news is that a certain TimeLord of this parish is leading a similar ride on the 5th September, and certain elements of todays route will have thier serial numbers filed off to be included in my ride. Huzza!
I mean, anywhere that does three (Count them! 3!!!!!!) home-baked scones with clotted cream, jam and a cup of Tea? for under four of your earth squids deserves a return visit...

Herford is a place I know only from playing rugby, when at school and afterwards against the town team. It's a nice place actually, with plenty of cycle action for a CycleChat jaunt to explore.
Davywalnuts was ready to rock at 07:00 (+ a bit for food preparation :wacko: :smile:) and we set off in fair weather.
Route one - a routine roll along the A312, drifting North toward Harrow, Elstree and to Arkley, where we met with the thinking man's QPR supporter, gezza.
Onward to Hertford via A1000 and B158. It was starting to feel lovely with plenty of riders out and about in this sector.
Thanks to our human Dial-A-Cab Garmin, the mighty (as in "I'm going home for my tea...) gezza - we made good time and arrived 'puncturally.'
2rz57v7.jpg

Gezza, realising that he had bought a pre-owned banana, departed from whence he came to prepare for an arduous journey to Shepherds Bush. (Final score 0-0 BTW)

Bleak and Divine was there - and within 200metres of the set off, I discovered how his forum name originated. The first bit: he went to the same school as me:rolleyes: The second. he remembers watching me play cricket.:thumbsup:
Lovely to chat to Jonathan - who continues to do fine work with the youth cricketers of today - and reminded me what a small world etc...
2ilfuxx.jpg

Came across a sign which reminded me of all sorts of forum posters for different reasons. I wondered what was written underneath the bit that has been overlaid..? Odd.

So, up and down, round and along we rolled. Very beautiful sunshine and peace and quiet and chat. About nothing much in particular (Yeah - still talking about schooldays!)
ohia8i.jpg

Sig, who bakes the cakes, employed kung-fu style tactics to ward off Auntie Helen from her pannier containing said fancies

Pub stop was very posh. Royston Vaisey meets the Kennel Club / chips arranged on the plate in Jenga style stacks :thumbsup: ( But, actually, the staff were polite, we were made welcome and the Guinness was good for me!
Time passed very quickly and we decided to leave only because Steve was being eyed up by two 'ladies at the bar' - one of whom was wearing a 'buff' as a skirt - well, seemed like it anyway (I only looked in order to report this fact... :smile:)

Onward and upward. A really good sector between pub and cake - not too keen on the shingle and gravel though you boys (note to Doc - get the roads swept before the next one please) as 50kph+ descents are double difficult!!!
Auntie Helen was mistress of the gravel - not a problem for her...
282i3r7.jpg

...although early recumbents were obviously a problem in the area at one time.
All this, a big blustery wind at times and then the sanctuary of Vanstone's Garden Centre cake stop. Helen has pictured the Davywalnuts in action. It is a little known fact that, apart from being a kebab afficionado, our 'boy' is President of the Pastry Taster's Society of London (there's a bit of a puff for him...) We left no scone unturned in searching for an excuse to eat.

A gentle roll back to Herford North (passing a big place allegedly 'bought' using dosh from the Kray twins empire building activities. Nice building too - "Blind Beggars Farm" I thought to myself...)

We said au revoir and raced home. Davywalnuts - who should be re-named Davy pee-nuts (he's also a 'bog standard' reporter for the local paper) was escalating past his personal best. He did well, and, sustained for the last few kms with a giant Mars bar and fizzy sugary drink, he arrived at his Nirvana with 116 miles or so on the clock. When he wakes up next Wednesday, he's going to write a report.
2qkuhx2.jpg

Davy, proud to be a shareholder in the Kebab Van - that taoist icon on the Staines Road where one can get Burgers and Ch'i.
Davy also knows a place you can buy pre-punctured inner tubes if anyone is interested. He had so many, we were reduced to filling the holes with Sig's chocolate chips from the fairy cakes!:wacko:

Thanks Steve, and everyone for a decent way to pass the day. My clockometer read 187kms, top speed of 59.8kph, forgot to strap on the HRM otherwise I could have bored you stiff with calories etc...

Sig SilverPrinter

Thanks Steve what a great day.
More hills than I expected,but boy does Helen go fast down them.
Looking forward to the next one.

Sorry I didn't make it. I forgot it was the same day as the memorial ride in London for Eilidh who was killed by an HGV in Notting Hill. It was a great but sad day. Hopefully the next time you guys meet up I'll be able to come along.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
I am glad you all enjoyed the ride in Sunny Hertfordshire on Saturday. It was a pleasure to be out with such a nice bunch of people, thank you all. We were so lucky with the weather as Sunday here was very wet and windy with a mix of sleet / rain, no sign of the sun at all.

Thanks to Helen and Aperitif for the great write ups and pictures.

Yellow Jersey with holes in goes to Daveywalnuts for the most comfort breaks and punctures. He even took pre punctured tubes to be certain of winning.

Green Jersey to Sig for always being close to the front. Every time I looked round Sig was in sight or the next person up one of the small inclines we rode. She defiantly took all the points for the cakes she made.

Polka dot Jersey Queen of the mountain to Helen for her much improved climbing and the impressive speed on the descents.

Finally the straight jacket. Equally to Aperitif, Daveywalnuts and Geeza. Aperitif and Davy for riding from Heathrow doing the ride then riding home again. Mad the pair of them. Geeza for riding to the start saying hello to us all then riding home again.

I look forward to the next ride

Steve

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Oh what a day!

Great write ups Auntie, Aperitif and Stevevw, have been chuckling for hours!

Early saturday mornings, 6am to be exact, is not an hour I like to wake up to! Invariably, I am just home a few hours before from a good lashing and Kebab van raiding, but not this saturday in question, I had other priorities, like packing pre-puntured inner tubes and stuffing my face! So I think I saw my first sun rise in, well, years! Anyhow, just gone 7, I meet Aperitif, quick chat and we discuss cycling speeds, of which I suggest about 14mph ave.. pah! No chance of that happening carbon speed merchant Mr A! And were off on the first stetch, avoiding potholes, stray dogs and cars who cant see us. Nice little jont to Barnet, I think, to meet the nice QPR fan Gezza, 1 nil btw the way.. hehe! Onwards and upwards to Hertford and it seemed my first bit of bad luck was at the garden centre with the toilets out of action! But I have a young bladder and being posh and from bedfont, waited till at Hertford North train station, no peeing in the bushes for me, nice toilets too, bit of a walk however.. But was really nice to meet everyone again and to the ones I hadnt! So off we set, nice pace, nice route and lovely country side air and rural smells! Felt quite high on it all! Alas, it seemed when ever we stopped, I got a punture and I was getting rather aggitated on its occurance! New tyre will be ordered along with more innertubes and this time, I will be checking them for holes! I can confirm that the two "birds" at the posh pub, were infact wearing buffs as skirts, I have no shame in looking, even though they were older women, but as they where neither lumo or cycle chat branded buffs, they didnt get a second look.. hehe! The garden centre pit stop was good place to go too, but I will add, that although I did eat all the pies, the focal length of Aunties camera makes them look bigger, they were mearly a two bite snack, rather tasty too! I should have also had more of Sig's famous cup/fairy cakes, they were tasty too! Thank you sig! And then off to our final group jont to hertford north train station for goodbyes and a quick pit stop! Again.. The journey home was one that I cant fully remember and with out Aperitifs guidance and maturity, I would have well lost the plot! I would have also dragged the di**head driving his Vectra repeated at us out of his car for a pasting!! Its amazing how much one can acutally push ones body, but boy, did I suffering from low sugar levels! So sunset over Barnet was nice and going through the 100 mile barrier was such a rush as previous best was 80 miles! I have to say again, Aperitif, thank you very much for seeing me through this! Massive thanks!

So all in all an awesome "day" cycling and great countryside route, thanks Stevevw! Again a really good crowd, pleasure to meet you all, with plenty of chat and cake scoffing! Total miles, 114.30, total ride time, 8hrs 40. And I am now considering changing my screen to davynumbnuts... lol!

Oh, and yes, I did go out on the lash after, its what us youngens doo! haha!

PS, Auntie H, ive nicked your "who ate all the pies" pic for my facebook profile pic! Thanks!

I'm a bit disappointed Davy - when I was walking the dog and saw you outside the kebab van at 2am early Sunday morning, you agreed to a quick lap of Richmond Park with an 8am start, but you were a no show...:sad:

Seriously, a nice account by you - and you are quite right - it was a fine day out.
It is one of the benefits of being vegetarian that I don't suffer from hamstrings - hope yours are ok. And if you're still suffering from lactic acid build-up, change your milkman! ;)

Good stuff.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Oh poo! I am bad for that! I guess all those greasy kebabs are blocking the memory segment of my brain! hehe!

A veggie huh? I can see why you wont buy into the kebab van shares with me then! hehehe!

Top Bottom