Hi everyone, let me tell you how I got here..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caronte23

Hi everyone, I wanted to share this story with some folks that would understand my recent sorrow :P
Today I just got myself a sweet road bike, second hand and at a good deal nothing too fancy but still, my first roadbike.. a 2012 carrera zelos..
I collected it about 10 miles from home and was having the most wonderful journey when almost at home some ehm ehm "distracted lady" drove her SUV out of a parking lot without seeing me and basically pressed my front wheel down, so now it's all warped..
Luckly I didnt fall and the only damage was to the wheel.. Now its looking costly to replace though, could anyone point me in the right direction to get a good deal, I guess second hand would be fine.. any particular brand or model that you think could be a good replacement to the stock wheel?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you are not too confident doing repairs yourself your LBS should be your first port of call. They can either rebuild the wheel with a new rim or simply replace the whole thing, shouldn't be too expensive. You could also use this an excuse to upgrade the wheels which you might be able to do yourself if you bought online. A reasonable pair would cost you about £150-200 and would be a big improvement on your existing. Just make sure they are compatible with your seven or is it eight speed cassette. You will need your LBS. to remove and refit the cassette as it needs a special tool.
If you just want to replace the front you should be able to do that yourself. All you'll need are tyre levers and a pump.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi everyone, I wanted to share this story with some folks that would understand my recent sorrow :P
Today I just got myself a sweet road bike, second hand and at a good deal nothing too fancy but still, my first roadbike.. a 2012 carrera zelos..
I collected it about 10 miles from home and was having the most wonderful journey when almost at home some ehm ehm "distracted lady" drove her SUV out of a parking lot without seeing me and basically pressed my front wheel down, so now it's all warped..
Luckly I didnt fall and the only damage was to the wheel.. Now its looking costly to replace though, could anyone point me in the right direction to get a good deal, I guess second hand would be fine.. any particular brand or model that you think could be a good replacement to the stock wheel?
Hi caronte, sorry to hear about your prang. Your distracted lady should be paying for that wheel.

BTW if you're not sure what an LBS is, as recommended by Cycleops above, it's a local bike shop. There's a thread somewhere on here with all our funny little acronyms on it.

Welcome to the forum!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi caronte, sorry to hear about your prang. Your distracted lady should be paying for that wheel.

BTW if you're not sure what an LBS is, as recommended by Cycleops above, it's a local bike shop. There's a thread somewhere on here with all our funny little acronyms on it.

Welcome to the forum!
BTW? WTH does that mean? :ohmy:

:laugh:

@caronte23 , I hope you get the wheel sorted out soon. As @Ganymede said, perhaps you should look at trying to get the motorist to pay for the wheel?

Voinar

:welcome: to the forums.

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad that you came out of it unhurt :smile:

Hope you get the bike sorted out ASAP.

jack smith

Veteran
Search around for a set of shimano r500's they can be had for 70-80 a set, you can buy just the front too though but it dosent work out much more for a pair

OP
OP
C

caronte23

Awesome guys, tnx for your responses! I didn't think it was possible to straighten a bent rim, but is it trustworthy? I mean, would you be ok at speed?
Unfortunately the "motorist" wasn't willing to pay anything.. what should I do? Can't bear the hassle of getting a lawyer and everything for something like this..
After a second look at the bike I really hope the forks are fine, cause one seems ever so slightly warped, I'm not sure though, it might be my impression..
I'll post a pic..

OP
OP
C

caronte23

344bom9.jpg

Ganymede

Veteran
Did you get her numberplate? She should by law have given you her details, ie contact, insurance etc. I think there's a way of finding out who her insurer is then you can approach them. Depends if you think it's worth it, but I'd say the consensus on here (ready to be corrected!) is to follow stuff up as even if you don't get much out of it, the knock-on effect is to make drivers think twice. (Or, let's face once would be nice in some cases.)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Welcome to CC!
Those forks look bent to me, might just be the camera angle or whatever but worth getting them checked by a competent shop (at the drivers expense, preferably)

Top Bottom