Hi from castleford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
David L

David L

Über Member
David

I'm very sorry David, but next week, I'm working every day - with the weekend off; Sat 18th/Sun 19th
- should be ParkRunning (Pontefract) on the Saturday morning
- hopefully at this on the Sunday; http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=stanbury&subtopic=home

I am day-off this Friday/Saturday (Friday; hope to ride. Saturday; ParkRun, & ?? - in the afternoon)

Working untill sunday. :sad: If not week after that I will have wed/ thurs off 22nd/23rd, if that any good??

Working untill sunday. :sad: If not week after that I will have wed/ thurs off 22nd/23rd, if that any good??
Possibly free Wednesday 22nd, will check closer to date

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi David - welcome to CycleChat! :hello:

In 2006, I cycled back from Castleford on the southern half of the WYCR (West Yorkshire Cycle Route). I enjoyed it - it was a nice mix of easy, moderate and tough riding. Each half of the route is about 75 miles.

Here are 3 WYCR challenges that you might like to have a go at some time ...
  1. Catch a train from Castleford to Hebden Bridge via Leeds and then cycle home on the southern half of the WYCR.
  2. Catch a train from Castleford to Hebden Bridge via Leeds and then cycle home on the northern half of the WYCR.
  3. Ride the entire WYCR in one day. (That is a really tough undertaking! I have never been fit enough to do it, but I fancy having a go one day.)

OP
OP
David L

David L

Über Member

In 2006, I cycled back from Castleford on the southern half of the WYCR (West Yorkshire Cycle Route). I enjoyed it - it was a nice mix of easy, moderate and tough riding. Each half of the route is about 75 miles.

1. Catch a train from Castleford to Hebden Bridge via Leeds and then cycle home on the southern half of the WYCR.
  2. Catch a train from Castleford to Hebden Bridge via Leeds and then cycle home on the northern half of the WYCR.
  3. Ride the entire WYCR in one day. (That is a really tough undertaking! I have never been fit enough to do it, but I fancy having a go one day.)

Hi colin will look into that for the summer months :-) is it on mainly quiet roads/ cannal paths??

Venod

Eh up

Probably not as interesting as Colins route but I catch a train to Steeton & Silsden (last stop in West Yorkshire for cheap Metro Fairs) then cycle down the Leeds Liverpool Canal to Leeds then the Aire & Calder to Cas, pick a day with a North Westerly and it can be an easy ride.

ColinJ

Hi colin will look into that for the summer months :-) is it on mainly quiet roads/ cannal paths??
Mainly on quiet roads. There was one bit that used a bridleway through the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I did that on my normal road bike and slithered about a bit on gravel. I think it uses 'The Lines' from Garforth and there are a few other short stretches of cycle path. There are one or two town centres to traverse which are obviously busy at peak times, and a few short stretches of busy road but over 90% is on nice, quiet roads.

The WYCR isn't well-publicised but many West Yorkshire Tourist Information Centres have copies of the free booklet if you ask them for it.

You may have noticed signs for the route and not known what they are - a white rose with the letters W.Y.C.R. surrounding it in the corners.

I've lifted a copy of the route description from the Wakefield council website:

The West Yorkshire Cycle Route is a 150 mile circular route which roughly follows the West Yorkshire County Boundary. Primarily for leisure cycling the route is mainly on road and is intended for use by all roadworthy bicycles.

The route is signed in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions, and is identified by the route logo, a white rose with green background.

Terrain varies greatly from the flat rolling farmlands in the northeast, rising quite steeply to the western sections in the Pennine hills.

The route reflects this contrast and each section is graded; easy, moderate or strenuous, according to the steepness of the section.
  • Sections graded easy are predominantly flat and suitable for cyclists of all ages and abilities.
  • Sections graded strenuous include steep climbs and will challenge even fit cyclists.
Ilkley to Hemsworth
Hemsworth to Ilkley

The really tough bits are in the west and the easy bits are in the east so if you split the route into north and south rides, you get a nice mix. If you split it west/east, one day would be really hard, the other much easier, and you wouldn't be able to start/finish from home. I think Castleford and Hebden Bridge are ideal start/finish points because you get the mix of difficulty and can use the train to get you to the start. I prefer to start with the train because it feels better riding towards home and not having to wait for a train when you are tired and sweaty!

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CultureAndLeisure/outdoors/Cycling/wycycle/iklytohemsworth.htm

ColinJ

Whats it like taking bikes on the trains any problems??
The metro trains are free for bikes but there are only a couple of official places and you cannot reserve them so it is pot luck. If the train isn't too busy, you could prop your bike up somewhere as long as it isn't causing an obstruction. I sit or stand close to mine to keep an eye on it. I have heard of bikes being pinched from trains, though it is rare.

There is a bike symbol by the door next to the bike compartment.

The only time I ever had a problem was trying to get on a commuter train out of Leeds at about 17:00 and it just wasn't possible to get on. The next one was half empty and was fine!

Venod

Eh up
Whats it like taking bikes on the trains any problems??

Never had a problem to Leeds but we do seem to get an odd mix of trains on that route sometimes with proper bike space, sometimes without, I have just stood with mine in the doorway on occasions with no problems, the Skipton bound trains have dedicated bike hanging spaces in several carriages & also have goods space with seats in the same carriage as the toilet..

ColinJ

If you want to travel on big mainline trains with your bike, you have to get a bike reservation in advance, though some cheeky barsteward nicked my place with an unreserved bike once and the train manager refused to intervene. I wouldn't count on getting a bike on without a reservation though - reserve a space!

samfromcas

Regular
Hi everyone, im 25 from Castleford west yorkshire, do mainly comuting on my road bike at the minute but wanting to do more pleasure riding, hopefuly can meet some new ride buddies in the local area ^_^
Hi everyone, im 25 from Castleford west yorkshire, do mainly comuting on my road bike at the minute but wanting to do more pleasure riding, hopefuly can meet some new ride buddies in the local area ^_^
hi david, where abouts in cas are you,i am on queens park drive , airedale . me and 2 mates usually go out 3 times a week tuesday and thursday nights 5.30pm about 20-25 miles then saturday mornings about 9 o,clock for about 35- 50 miles ,trying to build up to 100 miles a week.got a few challenges for this year - prince of wales hospice (60)miles , castleford to skipton on the canal,then on the road to paterley bridge then home camping over the week-end, hadrians cycleway over a week-end ,and liverpool to leeds 127 miles on the canal in a day so we are in training.your wecome to join in with us on any of our training rides or challenges.

Top Bottom