Greetings From Wakefield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Hello to all the members on here.
The names Richard Thackeray*, & I'm a member of Featherstone Road Club

So Why have I joined this forum?
I think I saw it as link on the 'Cycling Weekly' forums, & it looked interesting.

So, where was I?, ah yes!!
Many years ago when I was young & foolish (now older & still foolish), I think I first joined 'FRC' back in about 1990(?)
Back then I used to ride and race (not very successfully) Mountain Bikes & Cyclo-Cross.
I had a brief flirtation with road-racing, but by my own admission, wasn't overly keen on it.
Then due to various reasons, I packed in the racing in about 1996.
Still rode a bit for a while, before stopping

Then about 2000/2001, I decided to try & get fit again. Well, it was a friendly wager with someone at work, who was losing weight to run Marathons.
I got one of my bikes out again & started (losing over 3stone, going from 12 to 9!!)
Sadly that all went' by-the-by' again after a couple of years (mainly due to 'small-child' appearing on the scene & work)

However, I got the same feeling again just around Easter 2007 (getting to be a theme to this???)
The bike came out again, & stayed out this time.
Bought another cross-bike & raced for about 2 seasons (cheaper to run now)

Late 2007, I started running - for some unearthly reason ???
My original intention was to be able to run a mile (thoughts were, if I could run a mile, I could run 100 yards with a cross-bike on my shoulder)
However, the distance got longer & the times came down
So now, I'm of a reasonable standard (so I'm told ) & have a 10K 'PB of just over 42 minutes
This years mileage is well down due to a knee injury in February (& subsequent 4 months of not running), but last year I covered 1700+ miles & averaged almost 150miles a month

'For The Record'
(turn off & go to sleep now...)
I'm 46, worked for the NHS since 1997 (for the 'Mid Yorkshire NHS Trust'), married to Joanne - who is a Nurse (by training) - but now is a 'Principal Consultant in Health Provision Facility Design'.
We have one daughter, Amelia, who is 11.

Other interests; (just in case anyone else shares them)
Land Rovers (sold my 5th a while ago)
TVR's (almost bought a Cerbera, but bought a XKR instead)
Art-Deco (architecture in particular)
Heavy-Haulage
Industrial Heritage/Architecture
Railways
American 'Muscle Cars'
World Rally Championship
Gretsch guitars (sadly not allowed to have one)
The 'usual ones' too.... music/books (varied tastes, but know what I like)

*No, for those 'in the know'
No!!
I'm not the (Bradford Olympic) Richard who was a regular member of the Great Britain Cyclo-Cross squad throughout the 90's & early 00's
Although I do know Richard, his brother (Robert), Phil & Nora (parents) very well
This did used to cause much confusion years ago, especially when I used to race Mountain Bikes, as I also rode a Pace Research at that time (he was sponsored by the Pace factory at Haworth!)

Bikes?;
Yes, I have those too;
1. The 'yellow' one (531 equivilant) trainer/commuter/winter-hack (which is now partially displaced by the...)
2. Dyna-Tech 755Ti (bought new from Kendells in 1994, and still in 'vgc', but now downgraded)
3. Trek 6000Disc (the mountain bike, bought to double as a cross-bike & perhaps ride some 'trails'. Now barely used.
4. Pinnacle Expede 1.0 (the Cyclo-Cross bike)
5. Ridley Orion. Replaces the Dyna-Tech as a 'best bike'.

And, now the Dyna-Tech's getting a bit 'tired', so I'm wanting a new winter bike (might buy one of the Ribble specials)

Cars?;
Well, I had a Defender 110 'Heritage' Station Wagon (running on a Td5 engine) till a while ago, & Joanne had a Jaguar XKR (which I liked to drive too, as you can all quite understand)
Now we have a Skoda Octavia Tdi estate & a Fiat Panda

Racing
One of my favourite races is the Bingley Harriers organised 'Cyclists verses Harriers'
'Bingley' being the club of the Triathletes, the Brownlee brothers (& Rob Jebb, the 'Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross' mulitple winner)
This can a grueller if it's wet!, a very mini 'Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross'.
(competed in it; '07/'08/'09/'10/'11)
It starts on the banks of the Leeds/Liverpool Canal, climbs very steeply through farmland, descends to the sides of Shipley Glen, clambering through boulders to reach the Glen.
Baildon Moor is circumnavigated, then the same route is followed back home.
I placed appallingly at 134th/166 finishers (& in 54:16), the first time I tried it (on bike) I still bet the 2 Calder Clarion (another local Club) riders who entered though
Best result was in 2010; 63rd/146 @ 47:08 (running)
DNF's in 2011, due to a branch in the eye, & scratched Cornea
In 2007, the conditions were so bad that 2 riders apparantly packed in the first 300yard!!!

Now I treat the road-running as training/endurance/speed-work for fell-running, which i vastly prefer
Speaking of which, I'll be entering another favourite next month as a 'birthday treat'
http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=withins&subtopic=home (notice who holds the course record)

Hope I've not meandered on for too long. tell me if I have:stop:

Davos87

Guru
Welcome Richard. :welcome: Thats quite an introduction. Knocks spots off my two sentences :thumbsup:

Thanks!
There may be a few inaccuracies with dates/times, as it was copied/psted off another (cycling) forum.

But, yes, I probably run more nowadays, due to prices (& distances to travel) - tend to see a lot of Cyclo-Cross riders that I know at them
I'll be fell-racing next Monday, & it'll cost me the vastly exhorbitant price of £1.20 to enter:biggrin: (it's the 'Trunce' at Penistone)

My son did the trunce last month, did you do it in fancy dress?
I only dressed as a fell-runner, if that's fancy enough??

Castleford!?, I'm halfway there

You will find me on page 6 of these pics
http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/portfolio278107p1.html

Hold on a minute.....

You're called Richard Thackeray
You Look like Richard Thackeray
You rode the same bike as Richard Thackeray
You know Richard Thackeray

But you're not Richard Thackeray.
I am, honest, their family name is spelt 'Thackray'

This is he, at 'Harriers v Cyclists'
http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?...=prev&gallery=10harrcycew&photoindex=17&title= Harriers vs. Cyclists, 2010&photographer=Eileen Woodhead&backlink=none

This is me, at the 'Stanbury Splash'

Stanbury_Splash_11_445.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I've seen that pic before- either on MTBE or the FRA forum.

I'd like to have a stab at some fell running, but i need to:

a/. not be as heavy as I am, and

b/. go out pavement pounding more than I do currently.

but i've read 'feet in the clouds' so i'm an expert.

I've also done some of the yorkshire 'cross series races- Greetlands being a personal favourite with that BMX track, and Silcoates 'cos it's a grass crit, or at least it was when they used to run it.........

I'd like to have a stab at some fell running, but i need to:

a/. not be as heavy as I am, and

b/. go out pavement pounding more than I do currently.

but i've read 'feet in the clouds' so i'm an expert.

I've also done some of the yorkshire 'cross series races- Greetlands being a personal favourite with that BMX track, and Silcoates 'cos it's a grass crit, or at least it was when they used to run it.........
A; just go for it!! There's some BIG (chunky) lads run! Okay, granted, they don't get high placings but they enter & finish
B; My 'pavement pounding' is treated as distance/speed work for the fells (what few I do)

Greetland?, yes it was a good course, if a bit draggy on the grass, & with a couple of sharp climbs

Silcoates was fast; barring the 2 'zig-zags' up & down the hill

My favourite 'Yorkshire Cyclo-Cross Assocation' course was Temple Newsam. Both in its pre 2000 guise (Avenue Woods & ponds side) & the later football field/athletics track side course

Top Bottom