Holiday in Dungeness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velorum

Being as it was my birthday last week and I had some time of work my significant other suggested that we have a bit of a holiday. They offered me the choice of any destination in Europe.

No contest - I chose Dungeness.

Its wonderful.

Any other Dungeness fans here?

kentaug03007.jpg

kentaug03011.jpg

kentaug03018.jpg

I think that she was hoping I would say Rome........

kyuss

Veteran
Errrrm, I don't want to offend you, but are you mentally ill? :becool:

I'm just trying to understand why anyone offered a holiday to anywhere in Europe would choose a trip to a nuclear power station in Kent.

colly

Re member eR
Oddly I spent a week on my hols this year in All Hallows on sea, Kent. It looks very much like Dungeness, complete with Power station.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
kyuss said:
Errrrm, I don't want to offend you, but are you mentally ill? :biggrin:

I'm just trying to understand why anyone offered a holiday to anywhere in Europe would choose a trip to a nuclear power station in Kent.

Don't feed the troll :becool:

At least I hope the OT was a troll topic?

OP
OP
V

Velorum

Its more than just a nuclear power station!

There is an excellent shingle beach, two lighthouses, a pub, steam railway (runs all the way to Hythe) and an interesting assortment of beach front dwellings. Most of the later started life as decommissioned railway carriages. The hut that Derek Jarman lived in before dying from AIDS is there too.

Trust me, you havent lived until youve been there.

longers

Legendary Member
The first website linked to for Dungeness in a search says this
Dungeness is also home to a unique variety of wildlife and more than 600 different types of plants – about one third of all plants found throughout the UK. Also Dungeness is one of the best places in Britain to find rare species of moths, butterflies, bees, beetles and spiders. Many of the insects not to be found anywhere else.

You may bump into Bill Oddie down there from the sound of it, I remember him talking about finding scorpions near a power station somewhere.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Let's use a modicum of linguistic analysis here.

The thread topic is controversial. It instantly has troll written all over it. I am instantly thinking Blazed is at work here.

But wait, it can't be Blazed, the grammar and punctuation are flawless (apart from two missing apostrophes) Also, the writer is clearly well-informed about the area, it's geography and history.

Troll alert over. Move along, nothing to see.

OP
OP
V

Velorum

ComedyPilot said:
+ 1, the bloke in the picture is smiling, ferchrissakes.

Unless it's a grimace? :becool:

I was smiling.

My significant other took the photo from out on the lighthouse balcony - I couldnt go out there due to my fear of heights..........

snorri

Legendary Member
A lighthouse painted black is certainly a bit of a novelty.:rofl:

You really haven't thought this through Velorum.:biggrin:
By publicising your private shangri-la , EVERYONE will be flocking there and the special magic of the place will be spoiled for you.
:becool:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Dungeness certainly is a beautiful place, it has a real desolate, isloated feel.
It's one of the few places in Kent where you can see "proper" stars at night too :biggrin:

+1 fot Allhallws as well, that has a similar quality to it :becool:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did a mini tour of Kent a couple of years ago and had to leave the Dungeness/Romney Marsh area and find some hills and bends because the wind swept flat bleakness was just too depressing.

Top Bottom