Holiday in Dungeness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
ComedyPilot said:
...grammar and punctuation are flawless (apart from two missing apostrophes) Also, the writer is clearly well-informed about the area, it's geography and history.
Are you a grocer, perchance?

We like Dungeness and until a change of management a few years ago, the Pilot pub used to do the best fish & chips on the South Coast. A couple of weeks ago we drove the bikes down to Hythe and rode along the sea wall to Dungeness and had a great meal in the Brittania pub, next to the power station. Steak & Kidney pie followed by a spirited ride back to Hythe - oh.

Incidentally Romney Marsh is the only designated desert in the UK. It doesn't have to have sand dunes and camels but apparently is all to do with the rainfall, or lack of it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Derek Jarman's garden is an absolute must. It's exquisite.

The degree to which his thoughts on gardening have been co-opted by landscape gardeners is remarkable - were he to be released from heaven for just a day, and taken to the Chelsea Flower Show I think Jarman would be tickled pink by the way trendy garden designers use rough and ready found objects to sculptural effect.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
dellzeqq said:
Derek Jarman's garden is an absolute must. It's exquisite.

The degree to which his thoughts on gardening have been co-opted by landscape gardeners is remarkable - were he to be released from heaven for just a day, and taken to the Chelsea Flower Show I think Jarman would be tickled pink by the way trendy garden designers use rough and ready found objects to sculptural effect.

Whut???? :biggrin:

Is that in Dungeness too?! ;)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I am not so sure.... a previous job used to see me round there a fair bit... the bleakness and levels of depression it forces upon the majority that go there are only rivaled by the isle of sheppey!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We used to have childhood holidays (now and again) at nearby Camber... so Dungeness is like a background to my summer hols ;)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Fnaar said:
We used to have childhood holidays (now and again) at nearby Camber... so Dungeness is like a background to my summer hols ;)

I do love Rye and Camber and most of the stuff inland from the A259 is enjoyable countryside for riding, its that pinnacle of dullness around Dungeoness, Lydd etc I cant stand.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Wigsie said:
I am not so sure.... a previous job used to see me round there a fair bit... the bleakness and levels of depression it forces upon the majority that go there are only rivaled by the isle of sheppey!

Bloody cheek!

Yep, parts of the Isle of Sheppey are desolately beautiful too (Eastchurch Gap, round past Shellness towards Harty Ferry etc) ;)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Panter said:
Bloody cheek!

Yep, parts of the Isle of Sheppey are desolately beautiful too (Eastchurch Gap, round past Shellness towards Harty Ferry etc) :biggrin:

We re-named the road over to Sheppey the BOBD (Boulevard of Broken Dreams) dont think I ever had a day there that I didnt come home miserable!

But apologies if I offended you. ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bromley Cyclists/YACF did a Dungeness ride couple of weeks back. With lunch at the Pilot. Dungeness is a very weird but strangely beautiful place.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
ianrauk said:
Bromley Cyclists/YACF did a Dungeness ride couple of weeks back. With lunch at the Pilot. Dungeness is a very weird but strangely beautiful place.

Certainly is, just like parts of Sheppey ;)

Take a couple of Hours out sitting on the road down to the Elm Marshes reserve of the old A249 (BoBD indeed! :biggrin:) and watch the Marsh Harriers wheeling and calling over the Marsh whilst the sun sets.
Mesmorising and stunningly beautiful :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Wigsie said:
Ahem! Sheppey is sublime. But not as sublime as Mersea...

Top Bottom