Holiday in Dungeness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
dellzeqq said:
Ahem! Sheppey is sublime. But not as sublime as Mersea...

Man after my own heart. I used to thoroughly enjoy summer camp on Mersea in my teenage years. Even did a bit of wild camping on the beach. Just me the bike and a tent.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
dellzeqq said:
Ahem! Sheppey is sublime. But not as sublime as Mersea...

Next you will be saying that Grain is the 'hot spot' tourist destination of this year.

The late Derek Jarman's wooden house is the black and yellow one on the righthand side of the road between the Pilot and the Britannia. It's private property so is not (as far as I know) open to the public. There is no soil on this part of Romney Marsh and nor is importing any soil permitted, so Jarman's garden was the clever use of driftwood and drought tolerant plants. I'm a keen gardener and would like to look around it but....

House prices are not cheap as the area is a favourite for retired people. I think it would be a cracking place to live although it's undoubtedly bleak in the Winter.

It's quite unfair to compare Romney Marsh with the Isle of Sheppey. My wife first taught in Sheerness. Many of the children had never left the island and rumours of inbreeding amongst the population was rife.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Paul Narramore said:
The late Derek Jarman's wooden house is the black and yellow one on the righthand side of the road between the Pilot and the Britannia. It's private property so is not (as far as I know) open to the public. There is no soil on this part of Romney Marsh and nor is importing any soil permitted, so Jarman's garden was the clever use of driftwood and drought tolerant plants. I'm a keen gardener and would like to look around it but....

House prices are not cheap as the area is a favourite for retired people. I think it would be a cracking place to live although it's undoubtedly bleak in the Winter.

It's quite unfair to compare Romney Marsh with the Isle of Sheppey. My wife first taught in Sheerness. Many of the children had never left the island and rumours of inbreeding amongst the population was rife.

They are just that though, rumours. Sheppey is a fine place.

I'm born and bred on the Isle of Sheppey and I'm..........

Ok, point taken :biggrin:

OP
OP
V

Velorum

Yellow Fang said:
What are the house prices like around there? Does the nuclear power station bring them down a bit?

Above average I believe due to the demand from the more bohemian groups of house hunters!

OP
OP
V

Velorum

Thank goodness that there are some that also appreciate this places bleak weirdness.

It was Jarmins house/garden that first drew me there.

My photographies not very good so I couldnt quite capture the garden in the first two pics

DSC00273.jpg

kentaug03018.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Panter said:
They are just that though, rumours. Sheppey is a fine place.

I'm born and bred on the Isle of Sheppey and I'm..........

Ok, point taken :blush:

:tongue::rofl::biggrin::rofl: whatever!

My wife's stepfather's family are from Sheppey and inbred is the only word!

A year or two ago I used to look at a website scurulously written by an anonymous person all about Sheppey, it's teenager pregnancies, the knuckle draggers and which pubs condoned drug taking. I think it even appeared on TV, but I've no idea if it's still going, nor do I know who the secret webmaster was.:smile:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Paul Narramore said:
A year or two ago I used to look at a website scurulously written by an anonymous person all about Sheppey, it's teenager pregnancies, the knuckle draggers and which pubs condoned drug taking. I think it even appeared on TV, but I've no idea if it's still going, nor do I know who the secret webmaster was.:smile:

The Sheppey Tourist board?

Top Bottom