Holy Moley !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That was the closest one yet :cursing:
I was on my way home after night shift , about 5.45 am when i approached this roundabout ..
https://goo.gl/maps/jdld8
I was turning right so i was close to the white line clearly indicating and a car had stopped in the 1st turn off so i assumed the driver had seen me .I entered the roundabout and the car moves onto the roundabout as well tyring to go straight ahead , i slide down the side of the car from about the drivers door to the back of the car with my left pannier .
Luckily (?) it was raining so it was easier to slide down the side of the car and i managed to stay upright , the car sped off so i did not get a reg .I do know it was a dark BMW .
Usual set up for night commuting .
2 front lights
3 rear lights
wrist slaps on top tube
spoke reflectors
bannana top with reflectives
I know the driver saw me because they stopped initially .

SMIDGAF .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Glad youre ok . It shakes you up a bit doesn't it !

Luckily only one roundabout on my ride home and it's filled with similar experiences. Learn your lesson to never to assume you've been seen. Hope bike wasn't damaged!

paul04

Über Member
Glad your ok. some drivers seem to have brain fade when it comes to roundabouts, and others have tunnel vision, and they are the only person on the road.

Firestorm

Veteran
The difficulty with bikes on roundabouts is they don't have to obey the same rules as other vehicles and car drivers tend not to know it .
So a car pulling up at exit 2 on a two lane 4 exit roundabout will look at exit 1 to assess where they may be going and the inside lane of the roundabout opposite exit 1 for anyone remaining on the roundabout.
Thus a cycle going all the way around the roundabout in the "exit" lane can get missed.
Now that's not saying they should not be seeing the cyclist but the two points of sight they are likely to use may cause a bike passing across the front of a car to be missed.
Also signalling protocols are largely ignored on roundabouts signal right until you are level with the exit before yours then left to show you are leaving at the next exit. This is not always followed by motorists let alone cyclists.
Roundabouts , particularly when busy, rely on correct signalling and road position to maximise the traffic flow, sadly too many road users don't comply which leads to incorrect assumptions being made about people intentions.

I know the Island well but normally go round it in daylight during summer..... Glad your okay... I did like the SMIDGAF.... took me a minute.....

Tynan

Veteran
I go round roundabout like a car and in primary when I can and it suits me, going round a roundabout in the outer line is suicidal seems to me, I've never heard that before as a suggestion.

And a BMW ...

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I go round roundabout like a car and in primary when I can and it suits me, going round a roundabout in the outer line is suicidal seems to me, I've never heard that before as a suggestion.

And a BMW ...
who said outer line ?
If you were referring to me i meant close to the inner line , another words primary .

Top Bottom