Hot Air Ballooning - have you done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Has anyone on here been in a hot air balloon? I am thinking of booking a fllight in one soon.

I expect we will be given a safety demo etc before the flight. I do not know really what to expect, except a very quiet flight over the Herefordshire/Worcestershire border. :biggrin:

Two years ago, I had a flight in a very small helicopter, and enjoyed that.

betty swollocks

large member
I have and I hate hate heights.
Looking down was bad enough, but had I looked up that would have finished me I know: so I didn't.
The basket was only waist high, which was too low for my liking: I'd have preferred it to be at least at chest level.
Furthermore, I was afraid of having an overwhelming urge to throw myself out, so I spent the entire voyage with a fist clenched round one of the ropes.
No safety demo for me either. It was clamber in and up, up and away!
Quite enjoyed the experience though.

neslon

Many years ago, on our honeymoon, the growler and me thought we might try a dawn balloon flight over the Masai Mara. We overslept, and missed the opportunity to fall out of the sky (everyone aboard died). Something similar happened years later in Australia, so we have given up that ambition. Best of luck!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
neslon said:
Many years ago, on our honeymoon, the growler and me thought we might try a dawn balloon flight over the Masai Mara. We overslept, and missed the opportunity to fall out of the sky (everyone aboard died). Something similar happened years later in Australia, so we have given up that ambition. Best of luck!
:tongue::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Blimey.............

Not a great fan of heights me....so I wouldn't.....but if you are OK with it, then why not.......

thomas

the tank engine
I went on one many years ago and it is a fantastic way to see your local area (or local areas anyway, depending on which way the wind is blowing). I'd highly recommend it!

The guy who flew us was scared of heights and started it to try and cure himself. He said he still can't go up ladders though :tongue:.

Booked a flight some time ago for my wife's birthday, and what with the British weather, finally got to enjoy the flight last weekend.

I have flown in small (2-seater) aircraft, gliders and helicoptors, but this was something else again. Very smooth, and - when the pilot wasn't using the burners - incredibly peaceful.

Went very quickly to 1,400 ft, and then gradually down to 450 ft over Taunton, before landing on the racecourse (you obviously don't have too much say where you're going to come down!).

Was interesting that from that sort of altitude and in such a quiet craft, how human voices (esp children) and dogs barking carry a long, long way (be careful what you say when a balloon flies fairly low over you;)).

Mrs Tosh and myself would definitely want to do it again.

Noodley

Have I bollocks!!! :tongue: No way. Not a chance. I'd rather take my chances with a swamp full of crocodiles.

Toshiba Boy is spot on about the kids voices, most of them shouting 'hellooo' as we passed over. And motorbikes for some reason. I went up in Bristol a few years ago and loved every minute.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Swamps and crocodiles are in short supply in this county! :tongue:

Neslon, you have very nearly put me off, but not quite.

I have crossed the Capileno Bridge. This is a rope bridge some 200 ft above a river, and it swings and moves up and down, and is very wobbly.

Betty, how tall are you? Toshiba Boy and Mickle, thank you for your encouragement.

I nearly had a hot air balloon land in my garden once. Much hot air added very ******* quickly, and it missed the roof by inches. :tongue:

I will let you know how I get on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The basket comes to waist height for easy entry and exit.

I did it back about 9 years ago. It was a local balloon co, they have a massive Cameron balloon with a big witch on a broomstick design. The flight was postponed several times due to bad weather until one evening when they 'phoned us to come. There were about six passengers in this big basket then at the last minute two very fat women turned up claimng they had also paid to go up. There was a bit of a discussion and in the end the pilot heaved them over the side into the basket as well. Mistake! He then burned a large amount of gas getting this heavy load up to a couple of thousand feet, I was a bit worried because a couple of miles away there was a nasty looking area of black sky and I didn't fancy straying into that. We dropped to ground level and drifted over Blackburn, which is in a sheltered bowl. Anyway the wind seemed to die and we found ourselves drifting aimlessly around this town at rooftop level, looking for somewhere to land as the pilot looked anxiously at his gas gauges and changed a couple of bottles over. Seemed we were running out of that vital element needed to keep us aloft - fuel!

Eventually we drifted near a park at the end of a street, which was full of over-excited Pakistanis, all gesturing and shouting. The pilot dropped a coiled up rope, which a bunch of Pakistani kids grabbed. Instead of taking charge of the situation and instructing this crowd to pull us over to the park, the pilot just stared at them uselessly while they swung on the rope and ran around like headless chickens. Eventually he pulled the rope back up again and off we drifted, literally at chimney height. We drifted over a patch of waste ground about the size of a tennis court with trees and bushes and lots of rubbish and he dropped the rope again. This time the Pakistani ground crew were a bit better organised as some of the older family members had come out to see what was going on and they hauled us down, smashing through a tree, to the ground. Immediately we found ourselves surrounded by about 300 screaming hysterical Pakistani kids, it felt like arriving in India as a missionary. The faces of the other passengers were a picture; they were horrified. My wife and baby son had been following in our Landy and they got there before the ground crew in a 110 with the trailer, but in squeezing through the narrow back street my wife had scuffed someody's car bumper with the side step on the Landy and the driver was giving her hell for damaging his car.

The useless pilot pulled the ripcord and the envelope dropped on top of us, getting caught up in all the trees and bushes. he was doing his nut about it getting torn and at last seemed to be able to take charge of the collecting and folding of this huge mass of nylon. Meanwhile I ran off to sort out my wife's problem as the Police and Fire Brigade arrived. Eventually with the help of about 200 Pakistani yoofs we got the basket onto the trailer and off it went, we never got our champagne and certificate.

The owner of the car kept accusing my wife of scratching his paintwork; his ghastly fat slapper of a wife was sitting in the passenger seat egging him on to call the Police, we called over a WPC and she wasn't interested. Eventually I got rid of the miserable money-grabbing old bastard and then some hideous old bag turned up shouting that the balloon basket had damaged her chimney and she wanted compensation!

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Next day it was all over the papers and local TV, there was a shot of this balloon "crash landing" in the town, videos, the lot. Then it emerged that the year before the same pilot had been investigated by the CAA for a dodgy landing in which a passenger's leg got broken.

I think I had a lucky escape!

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Well, I can't follow RR's experience, I went up one in Bath a couple of years ago. Trouble was there was hardly any wind and we only travelled a couple of miles in a couple of hours, we sort of hovered over Bath. We landed behind the old Titfield Thunderbolt pub where the film was made. The landing wasn't too bad because of the slow speed. The farmer wasn't too happy. The night before, the balloon came above our house and landed over in the Longleat Estate. I even took my Garmin 305 with me.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Speck said:
Well, I can't follow RR's experience, I went up one in Bath a couple of years ago. Trouble was there was hardly any wind and we only travelled a couple of miles in a couple of hours, we sort of hovered over Bath. We landed behind the old Titfield Thunderbolt pub where the film was made. The landing wasn't too bad because of the slow speed. The farmer wasn't too happy. The night before, the balloon came above our house and landed over in the Longleat Estate. I even took my Garmin 305 with me.

I've gone up in one in Bristol - a big one with about 12 people in it.. I think I would have preferred less people as it was hard to see out any other direction than where I was standing. I loved the experience of it, even though I'm scared of heights. However the wind speed and direction weren't very good so we travelled from Ashton Court south west towards the airport very slowly. We weren't allowed to cross the air-space at the airport (understandable) so had to land beforehand having covered just about 4 miles.

Would I go again - yes - though preferably with someone else paying, slightly stronger wind and preferably blowing over Bristol.

Speicher said:
I nearly had a hot air balloon land in my garden once. Much hot air added very ******* quickly, and it missed the roof by inches. ;)

Living in Bristol we have had lots go over our house and several land on open land nearby - I love the Balloon fiesta (when it actually happens!!!) especially when the wind brings them my direction. The year of foot and mouth I really missed the sound of the balloons.

About 2 years ago, at work we had an early morning ride in a 14 seater balloon. As a pilot myself, it made an interesting change to be in a non mechanically powered machine.

Extremely peaceful (when the burners were off), just soaring above the countryside, and being able to see things in more detail. It was fascinating the way you could feel the balloon move in different air currents as it moved higher or lower, and so altered direction.

I can see how some people would be a bit freaked out though by being exposed to the open air and only having a wicker basket up to their waist.

Top Bottom