house move rant !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnrmczip

:cursing:Moved house today all in the back of a Fiat grande punto. Never again will I move. It is far to much stress and hassle. Should just have stayed in the house I had. Anyhow I would like to slap the person who invented roller blind fittings as they are gash. Also why is there the need for so many different screws in beds and wardrobes. Seriously who designs these things. Any way I could go on for ever ill stop now arrrggghh

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Wow you travel lightly- that's a compact living style you have if you got it all in a Grande Punto.

Know your pain, we moved twice in 3 months whilst we restored a property- soul destroying, but done (for) now.

D

Deleted member 1258

:cursing:Moved house today all in the back of a Fiat grande punto.

Lucky fella, last time we moved house we needed a full size removal lorry plus a five man crew, cost me a fortune.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I love moving. I have 'military brat syndrome' and move every 3 years or I get really antsy. Hubster is used to it now. I can't stay in one place for very long. The longest I have been anywhere was 7 years and I was climbing the walls after 3 years but it was a bought house (huge mistake) and decorating it throughout and changing a lot of the furniture really didn't help.

I can remember the days when I could fill a car with my stuff and just move.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Crikey - If I moved house now I'd have to employ most of the trucks out there to carry all the junk I've collected. My plan is to stay put and one day (hopefully long in the future) it'll be a house clearance chap's job.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
last time we moved i used a man with a van and helped with all the lifting, took 5-6 trips but we did have loads stored in relatives houses we could live without for a week .Cost me £100 rather than close to a grand for a removal company ?

I'm not sure which was the more long drawn out or traumatic:

Us last year, moving from a 3 bed house to a small 2 bed house, after 34 years in the 3 bed house. Which equates to a hell of a lot of accumulated cr*p being taken to the dump and/or the local charity shops, before we could even contemplate packing and actually moving

or

Us helping our daughter move a few weeks ago. From a rented flat that she had inhabited for 8 years, into a smaller first time buyer flat of her own. We hired a van for a week to move all her stuff and also got on first name terms with the boys at the local tip, such was the amount of dross which had to be transported to landfill. To be fair, we did also use the van to go on a couple of shopping trips for her, including buying a load of laminate floor which we ended up having to lay for her.....

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Moving is always a pain. Last time, I was able to do it all in a Transit (with a second journey to collect the motorcycle and moped), but that's because it was following a divorce where my ex took most stuff and I basically started again.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Last time we moved two sets of friends with VW transporters helped us.
Once we were done we were all sitting at the table in the garden having tea and cake........
Patrick says- "good job you didn't have anything in the loft...."

Jo and I look at one another ,and in unison say..... "Sh1t!"

A whole van load! Of junk

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

The only reason I used the punto is a everything fitted going from a furnished flat to our own place. I binned the majority of stuff and all the big stuff white goods wardrobes and stuff get delivered tomorrow so I'll have fun building them I suppose or not ha ha. Although it's all cost me a small fortune and a lot of lifting it should be worth it once settled. But as I said never again !!!

last time we moved house we had 10 boxes, 2 bikes and a few panniers of kit. It helped that we had sold everything we could, given away the rest and only saved 10 boxes for our stuff before setting off to cycle around the world (well try to...). Getting to that point was somewhat more interesting though despite having moved house almost the same number of years as I am old...

Helping my parents move house was errr more interesting. they had the biggest removal van you could find to move house. It still needed to do 2 trips and was 3/4 full on the 2nd trip despite us having used the small van and both of their cars as well.... packing took days and days and the removal itself (despite being only 1 mile from their old property) still took 2 days to complete. We only just managed to stack all of the boxes into their house - they didn't need curtains, the boxes were literally floor to ceiling 3 or 4 deep in each and every room in the house and the double garage was totally full of boxes as well. He had lived in that house for 40 odd years, my mum is a hoarder collector...

pplpilot

Guru
I've moved 3 times in the last 5 years, every move we have done has been 100% stress free, get a good solicitor and good removals, sit back let them do the work. Last move, we paid for the removals to pack (other than personals and what we didn't want them touching), strip and dismantle what needed doing, and re-assemble the other end. We spent most the day in the pub!

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

I've moved 3 times in the last 5 years, every move we have done has been 100% stress free, get a good solicitor and good removals, sit back let them do the work. Last move, we paid for the removals to pack (other than personals and what we didn't want them touching), strip and dismantle what needed doing, and re-assemble the other end. We spent most the day in the pub!
If i ever do move again this will be how I approach it especially the pub bit. I mean what sort of a man would I be if I didn't go enjoy a pint haha.

Top Bottom