How do I find out about forthcoming rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caz

I have just (this weekend) completed my first organised ride - a 50 mile Macride from Stratford upon Avon (it ended up being 55.5 miles):ohmy:. I had a wonderful time and really enjoyed myself, this being the first event I've done and my longest ride to date. Now I'm looking for another ride to aim for.

My question is where do you guys find out about organised events? I know there is the Audax website, but what about all the other rides I see mentioned on this forum? Are there any specific websites you go to or is it just word of mouth?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
www.bike-events.com is one I use for getting dates of the Manc -> Blackpool run each year, it also lists other ones from all over the place (Charity rides).

Glad you enjoyed your ride!

Local councils frequently organise rides via the local clubs, worth looking on the council's website, but if your area is anything like Preston, there won't be any more till next spring now.

I usually organise myself to ride from Glen Hills on the outskirts of Leicester into Cyclemagic most days around 8.30 am and back again at between 5 and 6pm.

You're welcome to join me anytime:biggrin:

Gary D

caz,
I did the Macride last weekend for the first time and really enjoyed it as well :biggrin: :evil:

A bit "damp" on the roads in places though wasn't it?

There is a "Round the Isle of Wight" ride for British Heart Foundation on the 21st September which you might be interested in.

http://www.sunseaandcycling.com/cyclethewight.asp

Along with all of the sites already mentioned, the CTC organise rides on a local level plus some of the charities organise and publicise their own events. So sometimes, a bit of "googling" is required!

Gary.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

I already know about Bike Events - was planning on doing the Solihull to Oxford ride this year but holidays and weather put a stop to that!

There is a council run organisation in my area who do bike rides but the furthest they go is about 25 miles. I was looking for a longer more challenging event to aim for! Which is why I did the Macride.

I'll have a look at the British Cycling website and see what they do - thanks Gavin for that one!

OP
OP
caz

caz

Hilldodger said:
I usually organise myself to ride from Glen Hills on the outskirts of Leicester into Cyclemagic most days around 8.30 am and back again at between 5 and 6pm.

You're welcome to join me anytime:biggrin:

lol :evil:. Not quite my area, but thanks anyway :biggrin:

OP
OP
caz

caz

Gary D said:
caz,
I did the Macride last weekend for the first time and really enjoyed it as well :biggrin: :evil:

A bit "damp" on the roads in places though wasn't it?

There is a "Round the Isle of Wight" ride for British Heart Foundation on the 21st September which you might be interested in.

http://www.sunseaandcycling.com/cyclethewight.asp

Along with all of the sites already mentioned, the CTC organise rides on a local level plus some of the charities organise and publicise their own events. So sometimes, a bit of "googling" is required!

Gary.

Which route did you do Gary? Did you go via the ford at Langley (or, as one person I saw did, through it)?? It was a fantastic day.

Isle of Wight's a bit far for me :angry:. The Southern Wheelers section of the CTC is my "local" but only know of the Meriden rally that they do in May.

Gary D

caz said:
Which route did you do Gary? Did you go via the ford at Langley (or, as one person I saw did, through it)?? It was a fantastic day.

Isle of Wight's a bit far for me :biggrin:. The Southern Wheelers section of the CTC is my "local" but only know of the Meriden rally that they do in May.

I did the 63 mile route and ended up doing 71 miles :ohmy:

I went around the ford at Langley on the muddy path with my bike on my shoulder cyclo cross stylee!

I managed to avoid the one at Preston Bagot completely as I missed a turning :biggrin: (It also meant I avoided the hill going past the Crab Mill - purely accidental you understand :smile:).

If you are in South Birmingham, have you considered joining Beacon Roads CC? I'm not a member myself, but I believe they organise quite a few social rides.

Gary.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Gary D said:
I did the 63 mile route and ended up doing 71 miles ;)

I went around the ford at Langley on the muddy path with my bike on my shoulder cyclo cross stylee!

I managed to avoid the one at Preston Bagot completely as I missed a turning ;) (It also meant I avoided the hill going past the Crab Mill - purely accidental you understand ;)).

If you are in South Birmingham, have you considered joining Beacon Roads CC? I'm not a member myself, but I believe they organise quite a few social rides.

Gary.

Yeah, we missed the one at Preston Bagot too. You obviously know the area to miss the hill after Crab Mill - cheat :ohmy:. I don't like it, but good for training :biggrin:.

Beacon Roads CC aren't really near me, but I'm considering doing one of their audaxes next year. The Cotswolds one in June starts near me (about 6 miles away).

Top Bottom