How do we buy music these days?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You get it free with ads, or £120 a year without.

It's a one off payment of £153 pounds and belongs to the purchaser forever although it is kind of a unique opportunity and won't be available to everyone.

Alex321

Veteran
We do still have a record player, but it needs a new stylus (and is 35 years old).

We also have CD players in both cars, plus a couple in the house, and we do buy and play CDs fairly regularly - but that still only means a few per year.

And my ears aren't good enough to tell the difference between the better formats and the lesser ones.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There was a Vinyl version out years ago, only a single LP though (I've got it)

yeah I've got that too... only 8 tracks I think. Certainly not the whole (extended) video which this release is.

I was disappointed that the remastered DVD only included I Zimba, Cities and Big Business as bonus tracks instead of putting them where they belong, as on the special edition VHS, which i also still have.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
yeah I've got that too... only 8 tracks I think. Certainly not the whole (extended) video which this release is.

I was disappointed that the remastered DVD only included I Zimba, Cities and Big Business as bonus tracks instead of putting them where they belong, as on the special edition VHS, which i also still have.

Yep I enjoy the film though, almost worth it to see David come on stage with a ghetto blaster and start playing solo

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yep I enjoy the film though, almost worth it to see David come on stage with a ghetto blaster and start playing solo

apparently the actual concerts were a good two to two-and-a-half hours long... so lots missing even from the special edition.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I still have most of my vinyl LPs and singles, and all of my CDs. Taken together there's probably not enough listening time left in my life to listen to all of this (great) stuff again, so I don't buy much new music. That said, I do occasionally discover a new artist (usually an old artist) and invest. As a guitar player I like to have a file I can download into Transcribe so I can transcribe (work out by ear, rather) the guitar parts that I think might add something to my own playing, so this rules out streaming services. I tend to also want to know who's playing on each track so I like sleeve notes. So MP3s ripped from a CD are best for me. I can also add MP3s to my USB stick for playing in the car. I dislike the radio as I rarely find a DJ that plays the music I like, and I don't want to listen to music I don't like.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Just ripped all my CD's to FLAC, then use Kodi on a HTPC I've had for around 12 years, with an Arcam DAC, just set up a file tree in WIndows explorer A-Z for artists then map it in Kodi. Sounds exactly the same as my CD player but much faster to use, then again it would using the same external DAC. Just buy other CD's cheap off music magpie or somewhere if require anything else. Also have them ripped to MP3's for in the car (on USB) and an android phone. The phone will play FLAC files but the car stereo will not.

Had a job a few years ago where had a company Iphone and went away from android. Just a real pain having to use Itunes to load your own music. I'm sure had to rip it to some other format back then, can't remember but was just a waste of my time that will never get back. Probably just a ploy to make you subscribe to Itunes $$. Nice to get back to a low cost fairly high specced android phone where can just drag and drop audio files using a windows PC how it should be, and use Poweramp. Everybody to their own though, certainly not for me all that needless control. Obviously you get that crap with Google, but you do have a choice, which is nice to have these days.

Tried Spotify, its pretty good. Found it useful as it would sometimes introduce you to new music if you left it playing at the end of a playlist. But then again youtube does similar, then just purchase the new music. If was younger, spotify would be really good, but personally the amount of new music I listen to, would rather buy it on CD or digital download, then rip it if a CD to FLAC and high bitrate MP3.

Toying with the idea of getting a turntable. Just something like about them, listening to old school 12" dance singles that are too obscure to get on any other format. Also to listen to albums right through like used to. Digital music seems to have done away with that, way easier to select another track than to get up and move a stylus.

My niece has a turntable whom is 16. Likes buying old records from charity shops, she listens to all kinds from the 70's onwards. Good to see really.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's an original according to the shop owner. He wants £100 for it and a stack of 78's. I think he'd take £75 to £80 cash. 🤔

nc_ohc=rb3ez5g15pQAX9QE_rz&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=9PcYDw9fK7MAX-3eMfh&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=2D1RVhiY1XkAX-Jw5kQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=STscSFOTVCUAX8SOS0T&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=DYMWMrF-cooAX-efSOr&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=LO0MqSMh2cwAX-PEkEk&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=ps0oHNOpPbgAX_TSwzd&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Top Bottom