How do we buy music these days?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
A friend's lad is in a group and the last single they released had 30k streams of Spotify which earned then £10.50 .

If they were around back in the day I wonder what they would have earned with vinyl .

Split between however many in the band. Rubbish isn't it.
The only way to make any money recording original music is to be used on an advert.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Split between however many in the band. Rubbish isn't it.
The only way to make any money recording original music is to be used on an advert.

There's 5 of them

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ok, all you folks saying to stream music from a provider and pointing out you can 'download' stuff to listen to later if offline. Presumably you can only listen back using the providers App and still don't have the option to save the (MP3?) files to your own system in a way that allows you to play it?

Once you stop your subscription your access to the music stops? You never 'own' anything despite spending £100s of pounds a year according to a few of you. Or am I missing something?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ok, all you folks saying to stream music from a provider and pointing out you can 'download' stuff to listen to later if offline. Presumably you can only listen back using the providers App and still don't have the option to save the (MP3?) files to your own system in a way that allows you to play it?

Once you stop your subscription your access to the music stops? You never 'own' anything despite spending £100s of pounds a year according to a few of you. Or am I missing something?

Yeah, it's an encrypted ogg file. It's for playing when you've got no phone signal, it's not yours to copy and keep.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A friend's lad is in a group and the last single they released had 30k streams of Spotify which earned then £10.50 .

If they were around back in the day I wonder what they would have earned with vinyl .

Thing is though, is it not much easier to get the exposure through Spotify?
Back in the day, they would have had to go through auditions in the hope of someone offering them a recording contract. Not many got that far, so earned zero for their efforts.

Brandane

Legendary Member

Yeah, it's an encrypted ogg file. It's for playing when you've got no phone signal, it's not yours to copy and keep.

That is something I hadn't considered TBH.... and what happens if Spotify goes down the plug at some point in the future?
Just as well I kept my old Teac cassette deck, which I can attach to my new amp with phono leads. Can I still buy C90's though, to record off Spotify? ;)

Sharky

Guru
We still buy CD's. Our autistic daughter has to have the physical cases from which to choose which CD she wants to play.

On another thread, I mentioned that I wanted a copy of "The Music People", a three record LP set from the days of Woodstock. Not available on CD. This had been a favourite record of hers back in the 70's, but got thrown out a long time ago. As advised on here, I went to Discogs and bought a very good condition copy along with a cheapish turntable from HMV. Now our Vinyl record collection is up to three as my OH bought my one of the Shadows from a charity shop and we had one LP in the loft which I rescued.

potsy

Rambler
I was just about to post saying it's been decades since I last bought any music, then I remembered a recent purchase from a charity shop which is currently languishing in the car CD player :rolleyes:
71ranfgy+1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

No, it was not my choice!

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Yep, and not only that but the artistes get very little recompense for the music they have created. Win win for the music 'industry' but of little to no benefit to the people who wrote the music, the argument goes that 'Well it's exposure for your band etc.' but that doesn't put food on the table for em, OK some become famous but not many. Now I can see the benefit to consumers who think that 'Sonos' is all that they need to hear some sounds but to people who like music these might as well be a little 'tranny' on a shelf in the kitchen

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thing is though, is it not much easier to get the exposure through Spotify?
Back in the day, they would have had to go through auditions in the hope of someone offering them a recording contract. Not many got that far, so earned zero for their efforts.

Very true.
They have done loads of fairly hi profile stuff but just not had the break.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We still buy CD's. Our autistic daughter has to have the physical cases from which to choose which CD she wants to play.

On another thread, I mentioned that I wanted a copy of "The Music People", a three record LP set from the days of Woodstock. Not available on CD. This had been a favourite record of hers back in the 70's, but got thrown out a long time ago. As advised on here, I went to Discogs and bought a very good condition copy along with a cheapish turntable from HMV. Now our Vinyl record collection is up to three as my OH bought my one of the Shadows from a charity shop and we had one LP in the loft which I rescued.

Our Autistic Grand-Daughter is very similar but she is into Vinyl, she also works as a volunteer in a couple of charity shops down in Marlborough (where she lives) so has 'first dibs' on LP's that are donated often by people who are getting rid of their deceased parents collections, yep there are lots of Val Doonican/James Last albums but over the years she has aquired some gems. Georgia also knows that when Maz and I shuffle off this mortal coil all of our music and HiFi is hers cos nobody else in our families are 'into' the stuff.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Possibly £0.

A false extrapolation.

30000 streams is negligible and indicates that the music is not popular within a huge global audience.

I'm still using iTunes. My iPod battery has given up the ghost now so I've replaced it with a £30 version.
Takes a bit of manual manipulation to do a playlist that plays in the order I need it to but it can be done.

I had a brief flirtation with Google music but that went to YouTube music and it wasn't the same after that.

Top Bottom