How do you 'Build your route' ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rvw

Guru
We've never tried to use GoogleEarth for gradients (old-fashioned paper IGN maps, see comments above!) but have found it helpful for checking sections of main road: volume of traffic and also narrowness of lanes are worth knowing.

I'd be concerned that tour planning with Streetview would lessen that simple excitement of exploring new territory and discovering new vistas, making a tour seem like a rerun of the video I had watched from the comfort of my easy chair.

Totally agree - and if i bothered checking how naughty roads and gradients were in advance I would probably not go anywhere - I like to "go naively where I have not been before" - better than spending half the tour worrying about some hill or road somewhere.

doog

Having used streetview on occasion I don't think I have ever thought 'ive seen that before'....however its an excellent tool to seek out scenic and quiet roads. I love the idea of just 'going anywhere' but due to full time employment and tight leave schedules I dont have that luxury...yet ^_^...not too far away mind.

rollinstok

The shorter the tour, the less leeway you have. Its difficult to organise a 2 or 3 day coast to coast in the UK.. every day has to be planned and executed. Give me a week or two to wander and I will be as happy as Larry:smile:

Top Bottom