How do you bunnyhop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saddlesoar

When I was a kid I could all sorts of things on my BMX but I could never bunnyhop and was too ashamed to ask anyone how they did it!

Can anyone describe the kind of knee jerking movement required?

I doubt I'll do it much nowadays but I still want to try it. Is there anything more uncool than a 34 year old bunnyhopping his way home from work?

BTW, I don't still have a BMX, a hybrid instead.

Mr Pig

It's a bit like sex. I could explain the mechanics but you'd only ever get it right with practice.

Although to be honest, I wouldn't bunnyhop a hybrid too often, they're not built for it.

OP
OP
S

saddlesoar

I wasn't going to do it too often, I just want to try.

Could you explain the mechanics of it anyway (bunnyhopping, not sex:biggrin:)? I don't even know what to practice. It might give me something to try and then it might happen one day. I can easily get both wheels to land on the ground at the same time when jumping off a kerb at speed. Is it anything like that?

Young Un

i can do them - both wheels at the same time on my bmx. all my mates wanna know how i do it but i just dont know- i just do it and when i try and explain it never works

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I do it by jumping up and pulling on mypedals and handlebars. Can do it well now, i use it for those raised speed hump things you cant dodge and pot holes.
Not got the balls to do it on the fixed yet though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can do it on a fixie...then you are god !!!

Mr Pig

Basically you push down then jump up pulling the bike with you. Even if your feet are not clipped to the pedals the bike comes up anyway, I used to do it on my Chopper when I was a kid.

One good way to practice is to lay a stick across your path and try to get over it without touching it. Start by hopping just your front wheel over it. Once you can do that try to lift your back wheel over it too when it gets to the stick. Once you can get over the stick without touching it put the front and back wheel hops together and you've got a bunny hop :0) It's easier with a bit of momentum.

To be honest I'm rubbish at hopping now. I'm too fat and heavy and I find it harder on a bike with suspension.

buggi

Bird Saviour
if i had never done before i would try it with clipless pedals. you're just asking to go arse over tit the first time you get it wrong, and you prob won't get your feet out in time to save yourself !

Top Bottom