How high can you go? - A Fridays Club Jersey Contest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A bottle of Talisker Malt has come into my possession. Hours of previous testing mean I know it is not to my taste. The school holidays are upon us and many of the membership of The Fridays will be awheel. So how about a little contest....

How high, under your own steam, can you, your bicycle and your Fridays' jersey get? Which Col or Puerto or Passo will you slog up in it this summer. (Which ends, for the purposes of this challenge, when BST ends)

To win you have to submit photographic evidence on this thread of your presence, with your bike, robed in your finest Fridays jersey, green or blue I care not, atop the summit. Please follow the template of my starter for 10 below, perhaps doing better than me at getting the height in shot. An additional, special, bonus prize is on offer those who make their climbs specifically on a Friday like I did. (Scout's honour will suffice for this, all The Fridays are gentlefolk and would not stoop so low as to cheat...!)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Name of climb; Puerto de San Glorio
Height above sea level in metres: 1609
Day and date of climb: Friday 29 July 2011
Photographic evidence:
Vega%20de%20Li%C3%A9bana-20110729-00053.jpg

Name of climb; Puerto de San Glorio
Height above sea level in metres: 1609
Day and date of climb: Friday 29 July 2011
Photographic evidence:
Vega%20de%20Li%C3%A9bana-20110729-00053.jpg

Show off! Awright for sum innit?

Some of us have no chance of leaving these gentle shores during what passes for a summer and therefore exceeding 1609m ASL is impossible.
Unless going up e.g. Col de Ditchling numerous times counts?!!!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Are you trying to win your own prize Greg? :smile:

The new addition to my fleet's been up Tourmalet & Hautacam, I haven't though!!

frank9755

Cyclist
Damn - if we had been doing this competition this time last year, I would have fancied my chances.

The snowy thing with clouds around it behind me is Everest. This is taken from a point about 5,000m on the way up to base camp on the Tibetan side. The highest I got was on the Gyatso La which is 5250m, with smooth tarmac all the way up and down!

med_gallery_3910_107_512840.jpg

U

User482

Damn - if we had been doing this competition this time last year, I would have fancied my chances.

The snowy thing with clouds around it behind me is Everest. This is taken from a point about 5,000m on the way up to base camp on the Tibetan side. The highest I got was on the Gyatso La which is 5250m, with smooth tarmac all the way up and down!

med_gallery_3910_107_512840.jpg

Looks like you had considerably better weather than we did!

285152_10150249847822338_596477337_7507708_1833740_n.jpg

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Are you trying to win your own prize Greg?

I don't like Talisker!

If no one beats me this summer I will declare a rollover until 31 October 2012!

I much prefered the ride up to the Puerto de Piedrasluengas.
800px-Panor%C3%A1mica_desde_Piedrasluengas.jpg

Longer and less height gain, ('only' 1355m ASL) a more populated route, so somewhere to get water en route, more shaded and a nice view point at the top with maps and everything. Oh yeah, and I was riding the mtb so I had much lower gearing. The ride down, on fire roads and trails was a blur....

Where I'm staying is great, apart from one tiny little thing. It is 5km from the 'main' road and every centimetre is uphill covering about 500m of height gain! Off road as the trail crow flies it is only about 2km from the 'main' road but with bits so steep your arse has to hover millimetres above the back wheel as you descend. Tried riding up off road three times, failed three times, the 5km on road doesn't then seem so bad.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
How high, under your own steam, can you, your bicycle and your Fridays' jersey get? Which Col or Puerto or Passo will you slog up in it this summer. (Which ends, for the purposes of this challenge, when BST ends)

What a great thread. I won't win as I can't get out of the country, but it seems an excuse to go up either or the hills/passes in the local area that are at 524m and 512m that I haven't done in a while. Sadly there aren't any big signs in that style for either climb. Your adventures trying to take the short cut back to the main road amused me, must be having a fantastic time there.

Top Bottom