How high can you go? - A Fridays Club Jersey Contest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I managed 2407 metres a while back in the pyrenees. Considering that I had a bike loaded with full touring/camping gear can I add on another 1000 metres for the extra effort involved?

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I managed 2407 metres a while back in the pyrenees. Considering that I had a bike loaded with full touring/camping gear can I add on another 1000 metres for the extra effort involved?

of course you can. but if you weren't wearing a Fridays jersey then you then have to deduct 5000m!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I got to 97 metres in france while wearing a jersey that while not Fridays jersey, was a jersey i had worn on a FNRTTC. Just to show I am taking this thread seriously......

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Name of climb; Puerto de San Glorio
Height above sea level in metres: 1609
Day and date of climb: Friday 29 July 2011
Photographic evidence:
Vega%20de%20Li%C3%A9bana-20110729-00053.jpg
phjotographic evidence? One hundred and sixty metres? As in five hundred and something feet?

frank9755

Cyclist
phjotographic evidence? One hundred and sixty metres? As in five hundred and something feet?

I know how you feel Greg.

Reminds me of the time I didn't get given that lbw decision. I'd bowled the guy three balls that had all turned sharply, then I floated a straight one up with no spin on it and he was trapped right in front of middle playing no stroke, but the teacher said I'd blocked his view on my follow through and wouldn't give it. I'm still bitter about that one. It would have been 5 in the innings....

:smile: Frank's Schooldays! The boy cricketer who googled long before Larry Page and Sergey Brin even put their front legs down the track during net practice.
Got any room for a 'Bowlers Tales' section Shaun? Spin bowlers can be remarkably like coarse anglers when it comes to describing yet another pill, arcing from the freshly dusted fingers of fear...

I always wondered why Greg took his bike out of the car for that photo - he looks hot enough already.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Climb: Colle del Sestriere (Pinerolo side or Perosa Argentina as it is sometimes referred to).
Height above sea level in metres: 2035.
Day and date of the climb: Sunday 23rd October 2011.
sestriere1.jpg

Recommended, very long - about 23 mile climb up through some fantastic little villages and the more famous ones like Fenestrelle with it's famous fort. When I started out at the bottom it was about 8 Celcius, around Fenestrelle it was 4C and at the top it was 0C. It included a 700m tunnel which had a convoy of Citroen CVs going through it. I expected it to be packed with tourists but had the road entirely to myself for long stints with vehicles occasionally coming down the other way to Pinerolo and tooting their horns. By the time I got to the top the fog was so deep I had some difficulty finding the sign or someone else! The most pleasant foggy town, ever. After that I had some food and someone insisted they drove me down (by this time it was dark, and foggy and possibly even snowing).

Also did another hill nearby called Colle Braida (1007m) this was much steeper near Avigliana. Apparently some local nutters race up it. As you can see to go past it one cycles close to Sacre di San Michele which unfortunately you're not allowed to cycle up. At night you can see it lit up from the Susa valley which it overlooks on a fairly sheer drop.

braida.jpg
sanmichele.jpg

edit: as for the actual Braida which is higher than San Michele, I thought of Snowdon as it is a similar height, but instead of a corny cafe it had a Pizzeria at the top. Some sites claim it's as high as 30% gradients in places, but I think it got up to twenty something twice.

Also found the Braida on climbbybike

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
blimey, Paul - that's terrific! And straight in to the lead!

marinyork

Thanks. Quite an interesting place the Sacri di San Michele. It's quite hard to get photos on that hill to come out because of the vegetation, you can see in person a lot more, but you'd need a wide angle lens and perch on some of the dodgier italian safety barriers (often with sheer drops and the metal girders joining the barriers missing), but very dramatic views. Some indication of them are given by some of the better photos on google images of San Michele - it's actually a pretty big complex. Google streetview only goes half way up the hill on both sides to Borgata Bussone on the Giaveno side and just after Mortera on the Avigliana side.

Another equally nutty hill that I didn't do unfortunately is Superga (about 3.5 miles eastish from Piazza Vittorio Veneto) which has the Basilica Superga (2200ft) with a double canopied Michelangelesque dome. It is is a bit lower down but on the ridge of the hill and has a great view of Turin in all it's smoggy glory from many angles. It also has a rack railway going up it also. I didn't know this but it was also the site of a big football air disaster in 1949.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yeah well done Paul. Good work.
Sounds like you really enjoyed your trip.

Though one thing seems to be missing.... oh yeah.... a pic of you asleep..
thumbsup.png
biggrin.gif

marinyork

sestriere2.jpg

Just to better show some of the fogginess, this was one of the more numerous less successful photos in Sestriere :biggrin:. Also from the Susa Valley the other side just below Sacra di San Michele this is what it looks like - although the perspective doesn't quite convey the height.

sanmichele2.jpg

A lot of good cycling to be had about there whether you like it hilly or pan flat.

ChrisBailey

How high, under your own steam, can you, your bicycle and your Fridays' jersey get? Which Col or Puerto or Passo will you slog up in it this summer. (Which ends, for the purposes of this challenge, when BST ends)

just to forewarn everyone, on June 19th 2012 I will be at 2860m (Cime de la Bonette) in my Fridays Jersey.

http://www.crazyguyo...com/doc/cb2012a

If somebody beats me there, or finds some US, Andean or KKH pass to upsurp me, good luck to them.

Chris

frank9755

Cyclist
How high, under your own steam, can you, your bicycle and your Fridays' jersey get? Which Col or Puerto or Passo will you slog up in it this summer. (Which ends, for the purposes of this challenge, when BST ends)

A good marker for next year, Chris, but you'd need to get up there by tomorrow night to knock Paul off his lofty perch!

Top Bottom