How long do road tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rjkc600

my Specialized Allez has slick road tyres. How long approximately in a miles can i expect them to last?

are we talking 500 miles or more?

Also is is a good idea to replce tubes with tyres?

LAstly, is the 'tyre slime' that halfords sell any good at preventing/sealing punctures? Ive used it on cars with mixed results.

ta.

:biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
People hereabouts are prone to quote multiple thousands, but I reckon I generally have to ditch 'em after maybe 1500 miles? I've never kept records or anything, but I reckon that's about it.

Greenbank

Über Member
rjkc600 said:
my Specialized Allez has slick road tyres. How long approximately in a miles can i expect them to last?

are we talking 500 miles or more?

Also is is a good idea to replce tubes with tyres?

LAstly, is the 'tyre slime' that halfords sell any good at preventing/sealing punctures? Ive used it on cars with mixed results.

ta.

:biggrin:

I get 3000 miles out of my tyres and they're not particularly hard wearing (Conti GP 4 Seasons).

The Panaracer Stradius Elite TG on the front wheel has done 6000 miles and is still going strong.

No need to replace tubes with tyres. Replace them separately when necessary.

I've read of mixed results with tyre slime on bike tyres. Fixing a puncture isn't difficult (unlike with a car tyre) so I wouldn't bother.

I got 3,750 out of my rear conti 4 seasons (25mm used in all weathers) but I probably had that a tad too long I got 2500 out of the conti Grand Prix (23mm but only used in summer conditions) they was plenty of life in them still when they were replaced. When yours need replacing I think will depend on how you ride and in what conditions. I'd be looking for a year at least.

I've used the same tube when I've replaced my tubes and never found it a problem.

I've no idea about slime I've never used it.

jimboalee

Excuse the jolity.

They last as long as they last. Its as simple as that. When you see the rubber is so thin you can see the colour of the casing, its time to renew.

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

lol - i use a GSXR1000 for my burnouts! ;)

Cheers guys, being new to cycling im buidling some knowledge about wear and tear.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Gixer1000, Hmmmmmmm very nice :biggrin::biggrin:

I got 1600miles out of the stock tyres that came on my SCR3 before they picked up 2 fl*ts in as many miles.

The replacement Marathon pluses have done about 1000 and don't even look worn yet.

yello

Uncle Mort said:
But surely there must be a formula jimbo! :biggrin:

I hope so. My world will be shaken if not :biggrin:

Out of interest, I just looked at the mileage I got out of my last sets of tyres (I always change both front and read at the same time, dunno why, just habit I guess). It seems I managed a whopping 6000k (3700 miles) out of one set of Gatorskins! I found that difficult to believe at first so I double checked it.

RedBike

It obviously all depends on the tyre in question and the rider.

I'm think i'm clocking up somewhere in the region of 500/750 miles a month commuting at the moment. If tyres only lasted 1500miles I would be replacing them every 2 months or so. Thankfully i'm not.

I will hopefully get a years use out of one set of tyres (gatorskins), 4/5000miles or so (don't commute much in the winter).

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Do the tyres have a wear indicator?

My Conti GP4000's have a small indent in the tyre - I thought I'd boght a dud and it was a tiny hole until I googled it!

Maybe worth a look?

With tyres with tread it's much easier just visual, plus other 'hints' more p*******s and slip/sliding off.

Randochap

Senior hunter
My tyres are usually retired long before the tread has actually worn through, due to nicks and cuts from road detritus.

I do keep cheaper/heavier winter tyres for my bikes though (and a winter bike for that matter) and repair bigger cuts with Super Glue.

Top Bottom