How long do road tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Randochap said:
My tyres are usually retired long before the tread has actually worn through, due to nicks and cuts from road detritus.

I do keep cheaper/heavier winter tyres for my bikes though (and a winter bike for that matter) and repair bigger cuts with Super Glue.

I find this only works sucessfully if the tyre is cleaned thoroughly and washed down with something that evaporates completely, ie Ethanol Absolute.

OP
OP
R

rjkc600

ok guys, thanks for all the info. Ive never had to replace tyres on a cycle before, so trying to get an idea. I appreciate it varies wildly though.

Are there any tyres that are more resistant to punctures? I dont fancy repairing on the roadside, and i doubt the AA will fancy picking me up :becool:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
rjkc600 said:
ok guys, thanks for all the info. Ive never had to replace tyres on a cycle before, so trying to get an idea. I appreciate it varies wildly though.

Are there any tyres that are more resistant to punctures? I dont fancy repairing on the roadside, and i doubt the AA will fancy picking me up :becool:

that's a can of worms :thumbsup:

There are a few puncture resistant tyres out there. I'd avoid Gatorskins like the plague 'cause they're useless but they'll be plenty of posts now saying how great they are lol
Schwalbe Marathon Pluses are widely regarded and, as above, mine aren't even showing wear yet and I have to commute over some really nasty, rough, flinty roads.
The Marathon pluses are a little slow (IMO) but the peace of mind is SO worth it :becool:

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
I'm very happy with the p*nct*re-resistance of the Conti GP4000s I have on my commute bike - They've been on for about 18 months and haven't let me down...yet.

Top Bottom