How long to train for 100 miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know there is never going to be a definitive timeframe to be able to complete enough training to do 100 mile ride.
Normal distances for me ranges from 15 - 25 miles, but on Friday I manged just over 42 miles, average speed of 14.9mph.
Lighter evenings help, but not able to get out on the bike every day. Should be able to get out every other day.

And what is the best way to train??
Hard peddling for shorter distances, or gentle peddling for longer distances?
And how do I train for hills (I am in Lincolnshire, but originally from Norfolk so uphill is not a strong point for me).
All help/advice gratefully recieved.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I think the general rule is to train to 3/4 of the event you'll be doing, so if you can comfortably manage a 75 mile ride you should be able to do the extra on the day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A few questions for you:

• How did you feel during your 42 mile ride?
  • How did you feel after your 42 mile ride?
  • Are you bothered about how quickly you do your 100 mile ride?
  • Are you in good health?
  • How hilly is the ride you plan to do?

A few questions for you:

• How did you feel during your 42 mile ride?
  • How did you feel after your 42 mile ride?
  • Are you bothered about how quickly you do your 100 mile ride?
  • Are you in good health?
  • How hilly is the ride you plan to do?

Felt Good on the 42 mile ride. Had thigh pain/ache the last 6-8 miles though.
Tops of thighs were killing, but no other aches. Bum was 'uncomfortable' for that day and the next.

Health is OK, but weight is a bit high at 14stone 10, but that will come down with riding.

Ride will start in Cambridgeshire and end in Lincolnshire. Not the hilliest part of the UK, but there will be some climbs (for my Norfolk legs, they will seem like climbs, others may call them bridges ;) )

MLC

As per Colin J

If you have a fairly good base fitness level you could complete a 100 mile ride tomorrow provided you eat and drink enough during the ride. It may not be very pleasant but you could complete it.

Completing 100 miles at 22mph avg or 12.5mph avg are completely different beasts is time a goal or is just to complete the distance.

How long have you got to train prior to the ride?

There a lots of good tips out there if you google training to ride a century or other search permutations

Hard peddling for shorter distances - is interval training and is designed to increase speed and power

or gentle peddling for longer distances - generally builds base level stamina and endurance.

If you just want to complete the 100 and are in no way bothered with the time it takes you then just build the mileage up gradually until you can complete at least 75% distance per upsidedown.

If you are stretched for training time then try and ride as far as you can with the time available to you as often as you can.

It is a long time to spend in the saddle and your arms, legs and and general posture will all need to be trained to stay the distance which means spend as much time in the saddle as you can (building up the time gently) till about a week before the event then rest up and take it easy (still get out on the bike but don't do any more huge rides and just spin gently) so you are fully energised for your ride.

Above all enjoy it

coco69

Veteran
Fairly inexperienced,last year i did 83 miles i was only doing 30 miles max and to be honest if you keep fueled up and concentrate you will do it,i agree with an earlier comment that you need to train your posture as my shoulders/neck came worse off.

ColinJ

MLC has tuned into my thinking! I think you could probably set off at sunrise next Sunday and have a century in the bag by sunset, but it sounds as though you would end up in quite a lot of discomfort.

Your weight shouldn't be a big issue because you aren't going to be doing lots of big hills. You will feel it when you are going uphill, but just twiddle a nice low gear and save your legs for the flatter bits, and enjoy the downhills!

The thigh pain might just be because you are pushing your current limits but I'd make sure your position on the bike is right. I've had sore thighs from having my saddle too low. I think many inexperienced cyclists start off with a low saddle because they feel safer being able to get their feet on the ground. If you can sit on your saddle and get a foot flat on the ground without tilting the bike way over, your saddle is far too low. I have to lean my bike to be able to get the tip of one foot down.

If a low saddle is the problem, then you'll notice a big improvement in comfort and efficiency when you raise it. Don't raise it too much in one go though. Try raising it by no more than a cm at a time and give yourself a few rides to see how you get on. If you set it too high, your legs will straighten too much at the bottom of the pedal stroke and/or your hips will start to rock as you pedal.

It might be that your bum just needs time to get used to longer rides, or it could be that your shorts or saddle don't suit you. Saddles are a very personal choice, but I'd say this - if your sit bones are well-spread then you don't want a narrow saddle or it will go up between them and hurt your delicate bits. If you have narrow sit bones, then you don't want a big saddle or it will chafe. One size doesn't fit all.

Even with a saddle that suits you, some careful adjustment may be required. When you think about it, there are 4 separate adjustments you can make:

1. Height
  2. Setback
  3. Vertical angle
  4. Left-right rotation
#4 is fairly obvious - I think nearly everybody should have their saddle pointed straight towards the front of their bike. There might be somebody with a major anatomical problem that requires special treatment but 99.9xx % of riders should not have their saddles rotated! Double check that every time you change the saddle height. It is easy to get it wrong.

#3 is one that gets people hot under the collar. I've had no end of people tell me that my saddle position is 'wrong' because I have the nose tilted ever so slightly downwards. They insist that it has to be 'level', whatever that means. How you define 'level' when the top of your saddle isn't flat? They put a straight edge from from front to back, but on my Arione saddle that means the front is tilted upwards and that gives me numb nuts within half a mile, No thanks! Find an angle that suits you. Front too high = numb genitals. Front too low = sliding forward with friction on the saddle and sore arms and shoulders. Somewhere in between = right for you; experiment to find what suits you, sir!

#1 and #2 interact. If you change the saddle height, the slope of the seat tube means that you also change the effective setback relative to the bottom bracket. It takes some work to find the ideal position and after you've done that, you might need to swap your handlebar stem for a shorter or longer one.

Of course, if you can find a good bike shop who will do a proper bike fit for you, that would be the ideal thing to do.

Once you have tackled the comfort issues, do more riding! Some short fast rides, some longer slower ones. I like to do longish, slowish rides but I put little burst in now and then to get my pulse rate up. For instance, sprinting up a short 10% climb. I like to gauge it so I'm just running out of steam when I get to the top.

Make sure that you take rest days or do very easy recovery rides the day after a hard ride. Fitness is built by your body repairing your muscles after exertion has stressed them, and the repairs are done when you are not using them!

Apologies for such a lengthy time before I could respond.

An update....

I moved the seat as suggested, around 7mm up and since then I have had no reoccurence of the pain. So thankyou for your wisdom.

The reason I have not been on is also linked to the reason for me doing 100mile ride.
Sadly my wife died of cancer just before Christmas. Having 2 young daughters means that time has been restricted, obviously.
Although I have always sponsored people that have asked, for various charities, I had never felt strong enough about 1 single charity to do something to raise money for them.

That has changed, and I will be doing a 100 cycle ride for Marie Curie on 21st July.

I have managed last week to get 3 50 mile rides in and 1 of 68 (furthest ever cycled before was 25 miles), with gentle 8 mile rides or gentle spinning in dining room on the days in between. Then I realised I hadn't had a break. Think I may have overdone it.

Took 2 days off and went out for shorter 36 mile ride today, which was quicker and more enjoyable.

I don't want to do 100mile until the actual day, but am I doing enough/too many miles and rides to be able to get the 100 done?

My average speed is working out to be over 14 mph on the longer rides, so happy with that as want to try and be around 7 hours to complete the distance.

Does anyone have a training plan, or suggest what I should be doing to better train for the actual day...It's only a month away!!!!

Thanks as always.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
If it's anything like running you will need time to taper. Shorter rides / winding down before the big event. The pro's will be along shortly to either correct me or agree. No matter what, good luck with it, you are doing it for a great cause with a sad but excellent reason.

ColinJ

I moved the seat as suggested, around 7mm up and since then I have had no reoccurence of the pain. So thankyou for your wisdom.
I'm glad that did the trick!

The reason I have not been on is also linked to the reason for me doing 100mile ride.

Sadly my wife died of cancer just before Christmas. Having 2 young daughters means that time has been restricted, obviously.

Although I have always sponsored people that have asked, for various charities, I had never felt strong enough about 1 single charity to do something to raise money for them.

That has changed, and I will be doing a 100 cycle ride for Marie Curie on 21st July.
I'm very sorry about your wife. I can see why you feel so motivated for the century ride.

I have managed last week to get 3 50 mile rides in and 1 of 68 (furthest ever cycled before was 25 miles), with gentle 8 mile rides or gentle spinning in dining room on the days in between. Then I realised I hadn't had a break. Think I may have overdone it.

Took 2 days off and went out for shorter 36 mile ride today, which was quicker and more enjoyable.

I don't want to do 100mile until the actual day, but am I doing enough/too many miles and rides to be able to get the 100 done?

My average speed is working out to be over 14 mph on the longer rides, so happy with that as want to try and be around 7 hours to complete the distance.

Does anyone have a training plan, or suggest what I should be doing to better train for the actual day...It's only a month away!!!!
I think you are doing fine so just keep doing what you have been doing for another 3 weeks. I agree with The Jogger - take it easy the week before the event. I'd perhaps do a couple of 20 milers early that week and very little for the last couple of days. Make sure that you eat a good breakfast a couple of hours before the ride.

I'm sure you will be okay on the day as long as you eat and drink enough to keep you going. I think I went from about 68 miles to 100 miles in one big step, though the 68 milers were hilly and the century was flatter so they were probably about the same in terms of difficulty.

Make sure you eat and drink at least 50% more than you did on your 68 mile ride, assuming that you didn't get hungry or thirsty on that. If you feel that you didn't have enough on that ride, double what you had then!

I would drink 4 800 mL bottles of carbo-drink on a century ride, plus maybe a coffee or a can of Coke (the real one, not diet - you want the sugar on a ride, not sweetener!). I'd probably have a piece of fruit cake and maybe a couple of banana or jam sandwiches too. Your needs may be different to mine.

If it is a very hot day, drink a bit more than you usually do.

Good luck!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Not sure about Kilometers though. 160 k sounds a lot further than 100 miles.

Been out today and done 56 miles.
Took just under 4 hours....But, I deliberately made it harder as went into head wind for majority of the ride.
Plenty of side winds and a little back wind.
Thighs feeling it now though, but my thinking is, it will help my strength, and also could have head wind on the day. No point avoiding it to be hit with it on the day.

Gentle day tomorrow as kids sports day, then longer ride at weekend if plans allow. Hoping to do over 70 at the weekend.

montage

God Almighty
Sounds like you are well on the way to completing this challenge.

I'd echo the above, especially the need to keep eating and drinking..... I'd also make sure you have the right emergancy tools for the job (sorry if this is stating the obvious) such as a chain tool and power links.

Top Bottom