How many more deaths or injuries before governments ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ern1e

Über Member
I don't want to appear to be shoving a stick in your spokes on this issue @classic33 but from what I just read it seems he went up the inside of a left turning vehicle ? surly that was his own mistake,so how could a goverment prevent him or some one else in the future from doing the same ! Ok they do need to do something to help but an individual mistake made on the spot to go or not how could this be stopped ? better training make us pass some kind of test or worst still ban cycling perhaps.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Two deaths in similar circumanstances to what happens here. With elections coming up, why not make it an issue?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Sounds like it should be an election issue; we could use more pro-cyclist advocacy over here :sad:.

As for the circumstances of the collision: there's just not enough information to tell who was at fault. Australian road rules (with minor variations in each state) say that a cyclist can overtake to the left of a vehicle, provided it is not indicating *and* turning left. It's possible that the bus driver simply turned left without looking as the cyclist approached the front of his vehicle, or perhaps the cyclist took a stupid risk and tried to overtake a bus that was already turning left? It's all conjecture at the moment.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Sounds like it should be an election issue; we could use more pro-cyclist advocacy over here :sad:.

As for the circumstances of the collision: there's just not enough information to tell who was at fault. Australian road rules (with minor variations in each state) say that a cyclist can overtake to the left of a vehicle, provided it is not indicating *and* turning left. It's possible that the bus driver simply turned left without looking as the cyclist approached the front of his vehicle, or perhaps the cyclist took a stupid risk and tried to overtake a bus that was already turning left? It's all conjecture at the moment.
Well the link was provided by the Ausrailian Cyclist Party. I thought that with two sets of elections coming up in the UK, why not bring cycling to the fore.
Similar issues on both sides of the world. Only Australian cyclists now have a party to put their case forward.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Well the link was provided by the Ausrailian Cyclist Party. I thought that with two sets of elections coming up in the UK, why not bring cycling to the fore.
Similar issues on both sides of the world. Only Australian cyclists now have a party to put their case forward.
Agreed, and the incident, regardless of who may be at fault, certainly highlights the road-sharing issues we have. I'm hoping the ACP improves things, but only time will tell.

Ern1e

Über Member
I must admit you are quite correct on this we DO need more cycling pro active m.p.'s etc.we are having local council elections around here and one of the candidates a few months ago had a go at the local cycle club which organised a cyclo cross in the local council owned park (with all the permissions etc) which due to wet weather got a little churned up which he took a great dislike to and vented his thoughts through the local rag saying that "has a keen cyclist" he understood the need etc but who will pay the bill to put this right ? Ok some weekslater ground dryed up grass regrown over and apart from a few small ruts you can't tell it happened,My point to telling you this well not bad from a council that has not got a single ASL at any of the traffic lights in the bourough and if memeory serves me correctly 2 (yes that's 2 ) cycle lanes of which 1 is about 30 yds long and totaly pointless.Can't wait for this fellow to turn up on the campaing trail got my vote ?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Its at times like this that they do need your help to achieve their dreams. I live close to where the TdF will be coming through and the council are pushing for people to get on their bikes for the day it comes through.
The rest of the time we don't matter to them.

Ern1e

Über Member
Its at times like this that they do need your help to achieve their dreams. I live close to where the TdF will be coming through and the council are pushing for people to get on their bikes for the day it comes through.
The rest of the time we don't matter to them.
That Sir is so true we can have what "ever" to get our votes but once they get elected Doh did I say that ! the incident in the previous post was very well attended and did bring some much needed cash into the area as noted by the use of the burger vans etc who are quite looking forwards to the next one as toif it will be in the same place it's doughtful,we also have the adrenalin trail (Lee Quarry & Crag Quarry) which is also under advertised by the council I did on here direct a CC memeber from Bolton to it and him and his friends turn up now and again and again spend cash localy so to my mind all good for us ! Perhaps it's time for a British Cyclists Party to be formed any takers out there ?

Top Bottom