How the media report on fatalities.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://medium.com/@lastwheel/how-does-the-media-pick-a-victim-9eb29f52cc6d

A RESPECTED North East vicar died after his bike was clipped by a moving car, an inquest heard. […A] central reservation caused the road to narrow, and Mr Strong’s Skoda car clipped the kerb of the reservation as he tried to pass. His car turned slightly towards Mr Malleson, an experienced cyclist, and lightly clipped his handlebars. The “scuff” prompted Mr Malleson, who was not wearing a cycle helmet, to lose his balance and fall to the ground.

The persistent car-washing of driver responsibility where the report describes events as a vehicle “hitting” then deciding to “drive off” is clearly a police narrative:

Mark Greenwood was killed last Thursday when he collided with a silver Golf

Mr Greenwood was hit from behind by a texting driver:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...sing-cyclist-death-180831#Drz4xmhldtGok7EV.99

If you are feeling generous you could say it's just a mistake. So how come the mistake is always made the same way, so the rider is the active party and the driver is passive?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

You just need to be able to read a newspaper. And he has a point, which you seem not to want to acknowledge, that the language of reporting of RTAs involving cyclists is out of whack.
I think it's a dislike of the poster rather than the point. Something I whole heartedly agree with.

Lemond

You just need to be able to read a newspaper. And he has a point, which you seem not to want to acknowledge, that the language of reporting of RTAs involving cyclists is out of whack.

It's just poor journalism, that's all. Hardly a shocker.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't think that the reporting of cyclists' KIAs are part of a conspiracy but there does seem to be a gentle car-centric slant to a lot of them. If I was feeling paranoid about it I might think that the subtle message is "If you ride a bike on the roads, you are partially to blame if a couple of tonnes of steel does you some major harm. You would only have a dinged wing if you were in a sensible vehicle like a car".

"Man killed in collision with handgun bullet in Tottenham pub", anybody?

Top Bottom