How the media report on fatalities.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Seriously, who writes this crap? It's just dreadful, hysterical nonsense.

rather colourful and emotive hyperbole perhaps - but there's more than a little truth to most of it

Profpointy

Legendary Member
How about "the driver" or "the bus driver".

but that doesn't convey the killing part of his point.

Of course, the chap has written a deliberately provocative article, but fir all that, for any activity other than motoring, there'd be a huge outcry if the same numbers were killed each year as killed daily on our roads. Using emotive language is justifiable to get the point over - from your posts you yourself seem to think it's exagerated and dare I say accept the death toll as "normal" but really you and all of us really should find it shocking

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Slide1.jpg

Slide1.jpg

lastwheel

Regular
Uh-huh. Implied liability, wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole

Yes, compare it to the national witch hunt for the "speeding" person that "grinned after running down mcveigh" or when BORIS HAS TAKEN TO THE MEDIA TO ACTIVELY UNDERMINE UNFINISHED LEGAL CASES on several occasions. I've covered much of the criticism that has persisted in this thread. I have to believe some people didn't read it. From my stats, about 60 people have clicked through from this thread about 20% have then read it.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Riders get killed in London, Boris appeals for cyclists to stop wearing headphones. Not one of the dead cyclists was wearing headphones. Headphones have never been directly implicated in a single cyclist fatality. Dozens of news outlets publish Boris's words. 90% of people say they support a ban on cyclists wearing headphones.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/headphone-ban-backed-9-10-143008

Reversing van driver kills a child.

Sgt Manson said: "When we switched on the ignition we found the stereo to be extremely loud.

"We had a number of officers some distance away who could hear it.

"Being as loud as it was it was unlikely that Blair Fearn would have heard a thump."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-27037766

Number of articles that subsequently attack drivers for playing loud music? Well, you're probably way ahead of me.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Anyone who thinks there isn't a persistent bias in favour of motorists in the media is either being dishonest or not paying attention.

lastwheel

Regular
Seriously, who writes this crap? It's just dreadful, hysterical nonsense.
I write crap like that, you don't seem to notice I'm the author, but who writes crap like this?

http://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/fail-to-stop-collision-at-poulton-1.aspx

"We are appealing for information after a fail to stop collision in Poulton earlier today (Wednesday, July 15th)
The incident happened on Breck Road at Poulton at the junction with Moorland Roadat shortly after 12noon when a vehicle, believed to be a light blue hatchback overtook a cyclist and then turned into the bike rider’s path causing them to fall off.
The cyclist, a 62 year old local woman, suffered a serious head injury and was taken by ambulance to the Royal Preston Hospital.
We are appealing for any witnesses and for the driver of the car involved to come forward. We are also keen to speak to the driver of a second car which overtook the cyclist moments before the collision.
Sgt Rob Gomery, of the Road Policing Unit, said: “This incident has left a cyclist with a serious injury and I am keen to speak to anyone who saw what happened to come forward. I would also appeal to the driver of the car involved to get I touch with us so that we can establish exactly what has happened.”
Anyone with information should contact 101 quoting log number 0488 of today (Wednesday, July 15th)"

Would "hit and run" be too emotive, hysterical? A "fail to stop collision" described then as an obstruction of "path". Odd.

lastwheel

Regular
Emotive hyperbole is an understatement. Don't deserve to be taken seriously if you describe bus drivers as "killers".

Do you think this is a bit emotive? Why is the headline allowed to portion blame before court decision? Is it because the press release was written by police? Why isn't it alleged assault or "assault" (with quotes)? Needs to be neutral.

Kingston police officers assaulted after confronting driver on his phone

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/1...aulted_after_confronting_driver_on_his_phone/

Why isn't it "man arrested after police collide with fists"?

Lemond

I write crap like that, you don't seem to notice I'm the author, but who writes crap like this?

http://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/fail-to-stop-collision-at-poulton-1.aspx

"We are appealing for information after a fail to stop collision in Poulton earlier today (Wednesday, July 15th)
The incident happened on Breck Road at Poulton at the junction with Moorland Roadat shortly after 12noon when a vehicle, believed to be a light blue hatchback overtook a cyclist and then turned into the bike rider’s path causing them to fall off.
The cyclist, a 62 year old local woman, suffered a serious head injury and was taken by ambulance to the Royal Preston Hospital.
We are appealing for any witnesses and for the driver of the car involved to come forward. We are also keen to speak to the driver of a second car which overtook the cyclist moments before the collision.
Sgt Rob Gomery, of the Road Policing Unit, said: “This incident has left a cyclist with a serious injury and I am keen to speak to anyone who saw what happened to come forward. I would also appeal to the driver of the car involved to get I touch with us so that we can establish exactly what has happened.”
Anyone with information should contact 101 quoting log number 0488 of today (Wednesday, July 15th)"

Would "hit and run" be too emotive, hysterical? A "fail to stop collision" described then as an obstruction of "path". Odd.

Maybe "hit and run" isn't an accurate description of what happened? It's certainly not clear from the article. The use of the word "collision" suggests that an impact occurred. But that appears to be contradicted by the words "turned into the bike rider’s path causing them to fall off". That suggests no impact / collision. It's very confusing. Failing to stop at the scene of an accident is a specific offence. Maybe "fail to stop collision" means something specific within police parlance?

Lemond

Do you think this is a bit emotive? Why is the headline allowed to portion blame before court decision? Is it because the press release was written by police? Why isn't it alleged assault or "assault" (with quotes)? Needs to be neutral.

Kingston police officers assaulted after confronting driver on his phone

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/1...aulted_after_confronting_driver_on_his_phone/

Why isn't it "man arrested after police collide with fists"?

Hilarious. You should do stand-up or something.

Top Bottom