How to find an absent landlord?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My MIL's garden adjoins the garden of a house, which is rented to students from the local agricultural college. Their fence has collapsed and since October she's been trying to get a message to the landlords asking them to get it repaired. I'm assuming it is indeed their fence.

The students aren't interested in helping and for reasons I can't fathom my MIL hasn't got the address of the couple who own the place. Is there any other way of finding out where they live?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Offer the students a bag of weed and then ask again?

surfgurl

Check first whether it is MIL's fence or if it is the Landlords. Try asking the neighbours the other side? They might know which fences belong to them and from that you should be able to work out who the fence belongs to.
If it does belong to the landlord, put a note through the door addressed to The Landlord. They should then pick it up when they go and collect rent and check the property.
You could ask at the college they attend. Student services may have it on their list of student properties and be able to inform the landlord for you.

Maz

Guru
Is the house let through a letting agency? Can they be contacted?
Rule of thumb (from experience) - if the fence posts are on your side of the fence, it's your responsibility to maintain the fence. Clearly this depends on the type of fence.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
bonj said:
can't the land registry tell you who the owner is?

I expect his MIL would like a reply before 2012!

I have also recently been reliably informed that the law govening ownership of fences has been changed over the last decade. Each fence is now in shared ownership of the householders each side.

I was going to suggest Student Services as well.

Maz

Guru
Speicher said:
I have also recently been reliably informed that the law govening ownership of fences has been changed over the last decade. Each fence is now in shared ownership of the householders each side.
OK. I didn't know that, Speicher.
(know a fence intended)

thomas

the tank engine
For my UNI they hold details of some places and the landlords so students can find properties...otherwise google the address and MAYBE the agency who runs the property will pop up.

Can't Mil just ask the students for a phone number or something? Surely if they don't have to help fix the fence they won't mind it being fixed?

On my property next year I know this little make shift divide between my house and the house next door has fallen over - first thing our agency can put right :biggrin:

When that's done the front of the house will look really good!!

Willow

for a fee you can search the land registry to see who owns the land that doesn't necessarily mean you can get hold of them once you know. It's a start though. The service is very quick.

Arch

Married to Night Train
surfgurl said:
If it does belong to the landlord, put a note through the door addressed to The Landlord. They should then pick it up when they go and collect rent and check the property.

Assuming he ever does. Rents are often paid direct from bank account to bank account these days, and at least one of my previous landlords never set foot in the house in the three years I was there, to my knowledge.

I don't know why the students won't help, excpet that they may just be lazy feckless eijits who can't be bothered. I can see however that if someone turned up wanting a phone number for a landlord, one might be cagey about giving it out - you have no idea who someone really is - I wouldn't give out a third party's number without their permission... Once you're into "give him a message to call me" territory, you rely on someone actually bothering. (or the landlord bothering to get in touch)

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Arch has it - it's all about bothering. Nobody is bothered when it's a little old lady.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Arch said:
Assuming he ever does. Rents are often paid direct from bank account to bank account these days, and at least one of my previous landlords never set foot in the house in the three years I was there, to my knowledge.

I don't know why the students won't help, excpet that they may just be lazy feckless eijits who can't be bothered. I can see however that if someone turned up wanting a phone number for a landlord, one might be cagey about giving it out - you have no idea who someone really is - I wouldn't give out a third party's number without their permission... Once you're into "give him a message to call me" territory, you rely on someone actually bothering. (or the landlord bothering to get in touch)

Arch, are you Irish by any chance?

Top Bottom