How to find an absent landlord?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

catwoman

Definitely go to the Land Registry. We use them at work to get ownership and leasehold details of properties.
It would be a good idea to contact the Student Office at the local University/College as well as they may be able to help. If the landlord is absent there will probably be an agent somewhere looking after the property.

Speicher said:
I expect his MIL would like a reply before 2012!

I have also recently been reliably informed that the law govening ownership of fences has been changed over the last decade. Each fence is now in shared ownership of the householders each side.

I was going to suggest Student Services as well.

What it is on fence ownership- Most new houses now are sold with shared ownership fences. Any older fence is still down to the old rules of ownership.

If the landlord is letting to students then he probably does not care about the house too much so will not do much of a job on the house if you did manage to track him down.

Best thing to do is to repair the fence yourself and then you own the fence. Yes you have the cost of this but then you also have the driving seat.

You cannot rely on the ownership in title deeds as ownership may change if one party (either) assumes responsibility. The side the post is on may help but lots of modern fences with panels are double sided with post between panels.

There is nothing to stop you putting up your own fence. Also there is no easy way to try to get someone else to repair their fence.

PS if you do look on Land Registry site for the owner, it may cost £1 for a copy of the title deeds as I dont think you can get their name for free - you can just see if they have the title there for free (IE that it is registered).

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Over the Hill has summed it really, but it may be worth contacting the local authority, and speaking to their environmental health officer. He 'may' know who the LL is, and may be interested in the lack of boundary on this LL's property. Of course he may not be interested in the slightest, but i've worked with some very good EHO's and they would have helped with this sort of thing.

btw All Tenants are entitled to know the name of their LL. its the law

got-to-get-fit

You say that they are agricultural students??

Knock up a convincing leaflet on the computer saying their is a local competition going to build the best dry stone wall. Stipulate that it must be done in your own back garden....closing date end of may ....offer a prize that students would be interested in

Lambrini
White lightning cider
traffic cones
tie dye t-shirts

Top Bottom