How to reduce the risk of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Simple. Ban mass cycling events. Especially, ban closed-roads sportives.

Here's my working. On Sunday at RideLondon there were at least 4 KSI incidents. (Source: 1 observation of an ambulance blocking the road in Richmond Park; 2 observations of people out cold by the side of the road; 1 online report of a major crash on Whitehall. I'm not counting the online report of the poor guy who died apparently of natural causes - although I suspect (@User?) he will show up in the stats as a cyclist KSI.)

20,000 cyclists rode 86 miles each. That's a total of 1.72 million miles, and gives a KSI rate of at least 2,326 per billion miles. For comparison the typical KSI rate on the roads is about 1000.

So RideLondon 2014 was about 2.3 times riskier than ordinary riding.

As it happens, I suspect I'm under-reporting KSIs on Sunday. My best guess based on online half-reports and hints, especially about crashes among the quick groups, is about 10, in which case the risk factor goes up to nearly 6. Simple observation of online reports of all mass cycling events suggest that people seriously under-estimate the risk of getting loads of cyclists all going in the same direction, and seriously over-estimate the risk of riding normally on the roads. I couldn't find the stats in a quick trawl of the internet, but I believe that London on open roads is considerably safer than the average - making the RideLondon risk even starker. Aggregating all the sportives that happen, I'd be gobsmacked if they didn't have a noticeable impact on overall KSI rates.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not seriously suggesting that we do ban mass cycling events - it was a blast, and without risk there is no reward. But it puts into perspective things like this, from Peter Walker's Guardian write-up of his day:
I spent four and a half hours surrounded by sometimes skittish cyclists in the pouring rain, and felt for the most part that all would be fine as long as I was careful. Then I spent half an hour cycling home from the event in usual London traffic, and was immediately reminded that my destiny, and safety, was very much in the hands of other people.
Actually, Peter, your destiny was safer in the hands of those London drivers than it was in the hands of your fellow-cyclists!

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've posted a comment on the site. I'll email tonight if there's no reply.

(And if anyone feels like checking my work - feel free. The results are plausible, but in a sense I was trying to check a positive hypothesis, which isn't great practice. There's probably a PhD in it for someone if you can get hold of more stats and draw some sensible conclusions.)

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi @srw, thats impressive analysis, however there is one area to your research and findings I would like to explore more.

In extreme bad weather the majority of cyclists would actually not ride - I know this from experience. Yes, a bit of rain - fine, the prospect of rain -fine, even going out in rain - fine.
For a forecast of a major storm, less likely.

I know people who pulled out from other rides around the UK, albeit reluctantly.
The conditions on Sunday were atrocious and have to have a massive bearing on the accident rates.

So I think we are comparing apples and pears. I think we are comparing the cycling that takes place in Good to bad weather, with cycling that took place in exceptional weather.

What do you think ? Is it a fair comparison.

However, I would say that on the whole, participants of the Ride 100 probably push themselves harder than they would normally go. You get carried along by the groups of riders and you find your speeds are a few percent higher than your normal riding pace. It is quite a weird phenomenon and ultimately the amount of risk taking increases.

Personally, in the hard stinging rain, with pools of standing water and gusts of wind, my brakes were about 50% worse, and my skinny tyres were fairly useless on the corners.

I myself had a mechanical, and was up at Newlands Corner and saw a lot of injured and upset people. We all unfortunately saw the scene of the tragic death on our way out. We did not know it at the time.

Having completed the Ride100 last year, but not this year, I've decided not to consider another charity ride or sportive or any mass cycling event - however, I almost feel like signing up in despite of the bad and sad events that have taken place.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Kris Cook at this time.

And finally, I feel extremely sorry for the organisers of the Ride100, I hope they can overcome this tragedy.

I know the faster I ride, the greater the risk. Sportives (despite what they say) are often an event for people to cycle faster than they would normally do.

People take part knowing the risks of cycling faster. That's their choice. There are always risks in organised events as the dynamics are different.

Make it safe with marshals etc, then let people do things.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Surely if 23,000 people went and sat in Hyde Park for a day at least one of them would become dangerously ill or even die?

Add vigorous exercise and serious illness or death become far more likely.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Totally pointless gut-feel anecdata: My cycling pal was on ride 100. I was relieved to see that he'd got round safely: ie I was mildly worried about him. Do I normally worry when he's out on a ride or when I'm out with him? No.

According to my pointless gut-feel it's almost certainly going to be more dangerous when lots of cyclists of mixed abilities (both in terms of speed and road-skills) are let off the leash and are trying to push the pace, than when doing "normal" riding when people will be riding within their abilities and being more defensive. That's before factoring in the dodgy weather conditions.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. (Yes I know that kind of "stands to reason" logic can be treacherous).

Edit. I was visiting my mum up North and had to make a slightly inconvenient detour on my journey home, due to the closure of the Blackwall tunnel. On these grounds, it should be banned.

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Be interesting to see if there are also stats for the Freecycle on Saturday (although again, good weather) I think I heard 60,000 participants. I know St Johns kept stats as I had to be recorded to get a 'plaster' for my biopsy wound from a week previous (riding in mountain bike shorts with a heavy rucksack rubbed it raw) and the guitar playing one was checked over and had a number of grazes covered up after a heavy bail on the street velodrome (decided to try and race the current champion and tried too hard). I don't know if they had a tick box for 'actual on the road incidents' though. I think we saw one.

On the sportive, my speed went up, but I'm not sure my risk taking did. It was just a mix of riding with others and not having to stop for anything unless I wanted to. I can see what the journalist was on about, the ride to the Olympic Park and the bit where we attempted to find the ferry and ended up in heavy traffic south of the river felt significantly more dangerous than any of the closed road stuff had. Then again my brakes didn't cause me worry (disks) and I was happy to back off if things looked a bit iffy, my only issue was glasses misting/getting waterlogged and on a leisure ride I'd probably have stopped and tried to clean them more often (although I'm not sure what with as I had nothing dry anywhere.)

I can imagine the organisers are a bit perturbed by it all, the injuries and fatality should cause them to check what they are doing (not necessarily change anything, but review it just in case) and I expect a number of things they planned to happen, huge spectator numbers in Dorking and Denbies for instance, weren't a thing. I think they are in for some involved meetings over the next few weeks and there will be less back patting than after the first one.

Tim Hall

Surely if 23,000 people went and sat in Hyde Park for a day at least one of them would become dangerously ill or even die?

Add vigorous exercise and serious illness or death become far more likely.
I think the point that srw is making is that the death/serious injury rate is over and above that to be expected for 23000 people sitting in Hyde Park.
Almost every year someone dies during the London Marathon, and often during the BHF London to Brighton ride too.
Almost every year may be putting it a bit strongly. According to Wikipedia, 11 people have died during the London marathon, over 34 years. But I doubt that in a marathon there is much danger from the actions of other participants, unlike Ride London or the BHF L-B.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think the point that srw is making is that the death/serious injury rate is over and above that to be expected for 23000 people sitting in Hyde Park.

I think more over and above that of 23,000 people individually cycling around Hyde Park in a completely unorganised way. If 23,000 cyclists just go for a bike ride, less get injured than if they all get together and someone times them is the hypothesis.

Almost every year may be putting it a bit strongly. According to Wikipedia, 11 people have died during the London marathon, over 34 years. But I doubt that in a marathon there is much danger from the actions of other participants, unlike Ride London or the BHF L-B.

But the physical exertion is a lot greater by the look of it. At the finish point for the Ride London people were standing around, chatting, eating and sorting themselves out for the ride home. From what I've seen at the finish point to the marathon people are lying around in space blankets wondering when the pain will end. I work with someone whose 30 year old and fairly athletic son did the London Marathon and he could barely walk for three days. I'm 44 & flabby and have no worries about the FNRttC this weekend. They are different beasts on that front, although I admit if you'd watched people at the top of the hills (especially if the big two had been in them) then you'd have seen more of the pain.

michaelcycle

I think you're right.

Cycling on open roads is generally safer than riding on closed road sportives because participants attitudes to risk change. That said I think the reward (the sense of accomplishment and fun) justified the increased risk of injury for me at least. That's pretty much the same for any sporting challenge.

Top Bottom