How to tell the difference between MTB pedals and Road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Enis Baysal

Enis Baysal

Ye
as well as the treacherous to walk in aspect of road shoes, aesthetically MTB shoes would look better with your bike. Road shoes tend to be a bit more niche looking and really only look matched up with lycra kit. Nothing to say you cant wear what you like of course and I'm no fashion guru.

edit: the cleats you're looking for are small metal cross shaped ones with an arrowhead front & 2 bolts fitted centrally. There are other types of cleat available but they aren't interchangeable. Noted above that you can ride your pictured pedal in 'normal' shoes but its damnably uncomfortable to do so for any sort of distance with lack of a pedal cage & the cleat retention mechanism sitting proud of the pedal frame and poking very noticably through particularly foam soled shoes (adidas samba type) and trainers. You can relatively cheaply replace the pedals with non cleated types or ones known as double sided that have a flat side for regular shoes and a cleated side for clipless riding. Mainly depends on what you'll be using the bike for, just riding out/back home or mixed use with walking about a bit, commuting in the same shoes as working in etc.
One last thing the mention, invariably even a MTB shoe with a more regular looking sole and deeper tread pattern will still grind the SPD clear on the ground when walking, accentuating its wear and making you sound like a tap dancer clicking along the street, you tend not to realise this when trying them on in shops as new shoes don't come with fitted cleats generally.
Riding is extremely difficult right now and its not uncommon for my foot to flip off the pedal.. my chins and calves have definutely taken a few hits the past few months! The main use for the bike is commuting to work, but im forever trying to beat the cars ;)
Live for speed :smile:

Top Bottom