How will you come off your bike?

Which one is more likely to put you on the tarmac?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

On my commute, as it's a route I ride regularly, I get to know where the holes are. So I'd say the major risk is other vehicles. (the last time I came off was down to ice though)

Tin Pot

Guru
How will you come off your bike?

Guns blazing, crying "For Harry, England and St George!".

I agree that road surface is the greater percieved threat as I have never been hit by a driver, although I've had two very close calls in a year with cars pulling out at a junction, arguably one of them was my own fault for overtaking a stationary bus at speed, but the other at a roundabout, definitely their fault!

My first and only crash was due to spilled fuel/oil on a wet, very smooth section of a bendy descent.The perfect storm! I came off and slid on my thigh and elbow for 5 meters. Car driver behind stopped and made sure I was ok, lucky nothing but a bit of road rash and bruised ego.

I consider myself a confident rider, though I rarely ride over 10 mph on that particular stretch now. Basic survival instinct always kicks in.

Still, I treat every driver like they are out to kill me just to be on the safe side, don't let your guard down people!

mgarl10024

Über Member
Yesterday morning, it was almost a black/white cat which sat in the bushes waiting to cross the cyclepath, and for some inexplicable reason waited until I was almost on top of it before running across. Cue locked wheels, a near miss, and lots of swearing from me - which seems odd now as I don't think cats speak French.

on a regular route you can get to know the danger points, or signs in the case of weather. So I know where it's likely to be icy,

The road is full of "microclimates" and some are quick to freeze and slow to thaw. Typical cases include all day shadow, dips and valleys that accumulate cold air. Some surfaces are slippery when frosted and others maintain good traction. This kind of local knowledge can really add to your safety.
I see so many riders who fail to observe and make best use of the road conditions. For experienced riders who know their route well, you do need a perfect storm of several additional factors to be "de-biked".
I was taken out by:
1 Car overtaking, keeping me from taking the whole lane +
2. On-coming car overtaking parked car, keeping me from swinging out to turn left +
3. Steeply cambered +90 degree left turn, turning too close to curb +
4 On-coming car preventing me from exiting wide.
At this point, I ran out of traction and came off.
I have figured out how to take this tricky little turn with a better line.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Having been off more times than I should have, I took a little time to think about this.
I've only been knocked off my bike by a motorist twice. I've come off my bike more often than this. However contributory factors have been; ice, rails, longitudinal ridges on paths, kerbs taken insufficiently perpendicular, badly lit piles on the road, wrong pedal down on corners, failed brakes. Metalwork on roads has scared me at times, but never chucked me off.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My only off in latter years has been on diesel spillage at a junction.

However, the 08 reg BMW 4WD this morning came close to knocking me and another one off because he couldn't wait to overtake safely and edged up on us by a traffic island. So nowadays I think it is drivers who will do the dirty on me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mostly my own ineptitude coupled with bad luck :blush:
1) Trying to avoid a ped on a bike path, went into rough stuff at edge, going too fast, remount to the path was rather higher than I thought, front wheel caught edge of path, went flying (nasty damage to left knee) :B)
2) Another cyclist cut across my path moving away from lights, he went left, I was trying to manoeuvre right, my front wheel caught his back wheel (he didn't even notice), heavy panniers, just couldn't stay upright (bit of road rash) :angry:
3) Slipped trying to ride across three metres of electrical trunking some idiot sparky had evidently dropped off his van, first bit was ok. next two gave me no chance :eek:
4) Stupid camber in road, went to put foot down at junction, lost balance :blush:
5) Erm we don't talk about that one in Esher @jefmcg ;)
6) Loose cleat, clipless fall trying to get foot out on a hill :banghead:

7) (well actually 2) that wasn't my fault, overtaking motorist too close, caught my handlebar with his wing mirror, bang, hospital, surgery...:sad:

Lonestar

Veteran
Recently on the fixie I reckon I've nearly offed about five times recently,realising im taking too tight a turn round angle (at low speed) has resulted in tricky moments,so I can't vote.Must stop doing that trick though.Not confident anymore.

Last edited:

Cyclist33

I ride quite a bit in the middle of London in quite heavy traffic. When I started about six years ago, I was terrified of other vehicles. "Those are the ones that will harm me", I thought. A few years later, my opinion has completely changed. Rubbish road surfaces, random grooves, manhole covers and tarmac craters are the things that scare me now, especially after dark.

What do you reckon about the risks on your commutes?

Thank you.

Where is the "Through my own stupidity" option??

I'm like much of the above: twice been rear ended by a car, once with a head on collision with another rider (my smidsy, I'm embarrassed to admit), once on ice that shouldn't have been there, twice on wet metal road fittings.

Worst was on a bike that had a maintenance issue that I wasn't aware off: wheel came out of fork, moments later my clavicle snapped :B)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have had 2 offs both on icey roads. I can see the pot holes the drains and all other obstacles in the road, I need special glasses so that i can see the ice.:laugh:

Top Bottom