How will you come off your bike?

Which one is more likely to put you on the tarmac?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Do it with grace and style
wetride.jpg

Do it with grace and style
View attachment 99016
At least he had time to release his parachute to slow the fall.

Tynan

Veteran
Once on black ice (and that was an early morning ride to the start of an audax), one on a misjudged curb (all my fault, the curb was fine), lots of nearlys all recovered by excellent rider skill

Everything else another vehicle, almost always utterly their fault, a few rather unpleasant involving blood

1) Right rook by numpty driver, slam into the side of him.

2) Flitering on right of stationary traffic, numpty driver attempts a U-turn without looking or indicating and I go flying over his bonnet

3) Crossing damp tram tracks despite trying to be super careful doing so, rear wheel drops in track and I flop to the ground (the things are bloody evil for cyclists, I will go out of my way to avoid them these days)

4) Pulling out of side road at 1-2mph. Back wheel spins out from under me on, I suspect, a patch of oil and I comically wrestle the bike to the ground (I will claim it was a patch of oil as the car in front smelt very unhealthy and other drivers were squealing tyres when pulling away after me...)

To be honest I am more worried about bad road surfaces and raised manhole covers/grates than hitting cars, especially when wet. It's easier to control the actions of other motorists than remembering the location of every single bit of bad road surface, especially when it is raining and they are covered by puddles or you are not familiar with the area.

You're probably right about the road surface doing you in. Having cycled in London over the last 10 years, I'm amazed how bad many of the roads are compared with the rest of the UK, with a variety of cracks, holes, badly aligned manhole covers etc. What's even more surprising is how long the poor surfaces remain. As an example, in Parliament Square when you're heading towards Westminster Bridge, around the lights with Whitehall, there used to be an extremely bad surface, which was like that for at least 5 years before it got repaired.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Tonight : coming down a long fast bank (Edge Lane in Clayton for them as know North Manchester) 20 odd mph on my Brompton and front end locked up on me, comedy wobbling trying to keep upright with my feet until the inevitable momemt when the wheel went too far over and I high sided into the road. Lucky ths van behind me had some notice I was in lumber and stopped a few feet short of squashing me. Him, another driver and a couple of bikers doing roadside repairs were all quick to ask if I was ok : yes, scraped elbow and a bit winded.
My helmet is unscathed, but since it was safely at home in the utility room......

I've had to set the front wheel and bars to point in the same direction again and there's a couple of scuffs on the frame

I've not a clue what happened to stop the front wheel spinning, its got a big black skid spot on the tyre. Its running free and the brake is pulling & releasing as normal now. I'll have it all to bits later and see.

Quite a hairy moment and I imagine would have made great viewing from the outside.

Tonight : coming down a long fast bank (Edge Lane in Clayton for them as know North Manchester) 20 odd mph on my Brompton and front end locked up on me, comedy wobbling trying to keep upright with my feet until the inevitable momemt when the wheel went too far over and I high sided into the road. Lucky ths van behind me had some notice I was in lumber and stopped a few feet short of squashing me. Him, another driver and a couple of bikers doing roadside repairs were all quick to ask if I was ok : yes, scraped elbow and a bit winded.
My helmet is unscathed, but since it was safely at home in the utility room......

I've had to set the front wheel and bars to point in the same direction again and there's a couple of scuffs on the frame

I've not a clue what happened to stop the front wheel spinning, its got a big black skid spot on the tyre. Its running free and the brake is pulling & releasing as normal now. I'll have it all to bits later and see.

Quite a hairy moment and I imagine would have made great viewing from the outside.
I'd be scared of riding that bike again until I knew what caused the wheel to lock up...

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'd be scared of riding that bike again until I knew what caused the wheel to lock up...
Yep, dismantled, greased, put back together, seems to be moving smoothly. Rims and pads sparkly cleaned. Cable routing and runs checked and moving smoothly in the outers. Careful test ride around the block done, I'm going to save it for the weekend and some quiet trails to be sure.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
With me its always been nice young ladies wearing short skirts that have been the problem!! JOKE by the way !! Lol

...I've not a clue what happened to stop the front wheel spinning, its got a big black skid spot on the tyre. Its running free and the brake is pulling & releasing as normal now. I'll have it all to bits later and see.

Is it a cup and cone bearing? The right hand cone on modern hubs can "catch" and screw tight into the cup if the locknut is not supertight. Old English hubs had a fixed cone (i.e. it was up against a shoulder or something) on the right to stop this happening. I make a habit of disassembling new front hubs and using loctite on the threads.

Col5632

Guru
Well I had an off last Wednesday, smashed head first into a stationary royal mail hgv, couldn't move a bone in my body after it! Ambulance came, put me on a spinal board and had 2 different xrays done on my neck and shoulders, 8 days on and still in extreme pain! Must learn to look ahead at all times from now on

Top Bottom