I saved a life.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The Highway Code states that the horn is used to alert other road road users that 'I am here'.
Clearly she already knew that or she'd have ridden through you instead of around you. Well done on giving her space but I'm not even slightly surprised that she took it amiss when you tried to scare her for no sensible purpose

I'm sure all female cyclists like nothing better when negotiating a roundabout than being surprised by cars hooting them to teach then a lesson.

400bhp

Guru
What odd behaviour.

Car driver sounds horn after a cyclist has carried out a manouvre and it saved her life.

:rolleyes:

Ern1e

Über Member
I'd say he was an even bigger nobber than just road raging the horn. How does that use of the horn fit http://highwaycode.info/rule/112 ?
Perhaps the last line may be it "when another road user posses a danger ? Which in my opinion the op thought this, he could also have wound his window down and shouted a whole string of verbal abuse at her this is something I have had done to me whilst suposedly being in some car driving prats way !!! So in conclusion every action has a reaction of someone for what ever reason all I can say is when I am out wether driving or cycling I try my best to reduce the chance of causing a incident simular, so if taking a risk causes a reaction like that if I was in the "wrong" then it's tuff on me.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
OP, please don't get in the habit of exercising your horn at cyclists because you think they're being unsafe. It's entirely possible it will cause the very thing you're trying to prevent: injury or worse. An unexpected HONK!!! jars the concentration and has a startling effect which can easily transmit down the arms to the handlebars, causing a wobble at least.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Perhaps the last line may be it "when another road user posses a danger ? Which in my opinion the op thought this, he could also have wound his window down and shouted a whole string of verbal abuse at her this is something I have had done to me whilst suposedly being in some car driving prats way !!! So in conclusion every action has a reaction of someone for what ever reason all I can say is when I am out wether driving or cycling I try my best to reduce the chance of causing a incident simular, so if taking a risk causes a reaction like that if I was in the "wrong" then it's tuff on me.
Why a string of verbal abuse?

Why not a civil explanation as per motives detailed in the OP? *apart from the time constraints and random bloke shouting at lady cyclist concern*

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I don't get this "I'm a cyclist" mentality when somebody is in a car and "tells you off". A couple of years ago a bloke in a green golf did it to me. I'm coming home on my bike - really really wide road - single lane - road coming up on the left.

As the road is so wide I'm on the inside of the traffic between the road and the pavement. As I come up to the junction there's a green golf on my left and he has gone far enough over the junction to show that he doesn't have any intention of turning left - there's a mercedes turning right out of the junction and he has seen me and has done that little wave to tell me to carry on.

I go past the golf - checking as I go past that he's not about to turn suddenly but as I go past he absolutely blares the horn at me - gave me such a fright.

I stopped and said "why you beeping at me mate?

He then gave me a lecture about how dangerous my actions are and I should be on the right not the lft and he "cycles every day" and the way I cycle is the way cyclists get killed.

Then to top it all he pulled in front of me and pulled right up to the kerb on the left hand side so I coudln't get through the 5 foot gap that had been available to me.

I was not impressed in the slightest - the horn, the lecture, the complete disregard to my own abilities - total utter nob head - I told him I would see him next tuesday and got off and walked up the pavement a bit to get back on the road a bit futher on.

I'm a woman on a bike by the way! Horn sounds like a bomb going off in your ear on the bike - I HATE it when people sound it! :sad:

martint235

Dog on a bike
So.... a cyclist filters down the centre of two lanes of stationary traffic and then moves to the left at the front of said traffic in order to turn left at a roundabout.

Not only do you beep her but you reckon you saved her life by not running her over. I don't understand, would the normal thing to do be accelerate deliberately into the back of her?

And if you'd beeped me for that, my bike would be on the floor in front of your car and I'd be tapping on your window for "a chat"

So.... a cyclist filters down the centre of two lanes of stationary traffic and then moves to the left at the front of said traffic in order to turn left at a roundabout.

Not only do you beep her but you reckon you saved her life by not running her over. I don't understand, would the normal thing to do be accelerate deliberately into the back of her?

And if you'd beeped me for that, my bike would be on the floor in front of your car and I'd be tapping on your window for "a chat"
It is quite common that I will filter on the right and move across when the traffic creates a gap. Someone beeping me would also get a 2 finger salute...or something similar.

winjim

Smash the cistern
This reminds me of that bit from Chris Rock's Bring The Pain, about claiming credit for things you're just supposed to do:

"I ain't never killed a cyclist"
"YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO, YOU LOW EXPECTATION HAVING **********ER!"​

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I don't like car horns being sounded at me when I'm cycling, there is no nuance or context to it. Over the years I have trained my family and colleagues out of giving me a friendly toot as they go by, it caused a bit of an argument with Mrs SBIB when I pulled her up and told her not to do it.
I've done similar. I don't get horns honked at me that often, but when it happens it is jarring and I hate it. There's no easy way to be 'jolly' with a lot of car horns.

Top Bottom