I saved a life.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

howard2107

Not literally, but, because i am a cyclist, i think like a cyclist, and whilst stuck in slow moving stop start traffic, i saw a cyclist in my door mirror, she was coming down the gap between the 2 lanes of traffic, and I'm in the left lane, as it gets near to my turn to join the roundabout, she cuts directly in front of me to exit to the left, i was going straight on.

Because i cycle, i considered her possible options, and she took the most dangerous one, but i had left enough space just in case, a sound of my horn was met with a 2 fingered salute, but hey ho, its all in a days work. Had i not have been a cyclist then i fear she would have met with injury at best. All she needed to do was to signal her intentions, and she would not have been in any danger, but it is no wonder cyclists get killed and injured.

Cheers............Howard

Glow worm

Legendary Member
You're a cyclist and you think it's OK to beep your car horn at fellow riders? Reckon you were lucky to get away with a salute!

Ern1e

Über Member
Your reaction to the situation was first class but imho buy sounding your horn which I fully understand would only be to warn the rider of her actions may not have been received in the same manner hence the reaction you got back, perhaps her coarse of action may not have seemed dangerous to her ? None the less she is quite "lucky" that it was done on a fellow cyclist ! the outcome could have been very different with an other driver.

Ern1e

Über Member
Looks like a few folks on here could do with reading the Highway Code.
Not wishing to start a full blown argument here but your point is ? It seems to me that the OP was using his audible warning device for what it is indeed intended which was to warn the cyclist of her actions ! ok it may have been after the fact but what would you say had he driven of and over her ??????

buggi

Bird Saviour
You left enough space and then blasted your horn when she took it?? She probably considered her options too , and the space you left was a viable one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not wishing to start a full blown argument here but your point is ? It seems to me that the OP was using his audible warning device for what it is indeed intended which was to warn the cyclist of her actions ! ok it may have been after the fact but what would you say had he driven of and over her ??????
I'd say he was an even bigger nobber than just road raging the horn. How does that use of the horn fit http://highwaycode.info/rule/112 ?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Indicating is a lost art form for far far too many users of every form of transport.

If I beeped at them all I'd end up thinking I had tinnitus.

She's demonstrated a diminished sense of roadcraft and your beeping will, as you've seen here, not be taken as a friendly(ish) warning from a fellow cyclist (how would she know you ride a bike) but as an aggressive act from some car bound stranger.

I don't like car horns being sounded at me when I'm cycling, there is no nuance or context to it. Over the years I have trained my family and colleagues out of giving me a friendly toot as they go by, it caused a bit of an argument with Mrs SBIB when I pulled her up and told her not to do it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'd say he was an even bigger nobber than just road raging the horn. How does that use of the horn fit http://highwaycode.info/rule/112 ?

So next time just run the cyclist over? The Highway Code states that the horn is used to alert other road road users that 'I am here'. In this situation, you are saying to the dumb cyclist, riding totally inappropriately, 'I am here' and maybe 'next time it may be a driver with less skill and vision than me whole squashes you flat'. I don't see how the cyclists behaviour can be defended in any way,

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, next time, avoid, tut and carry on. Leave the horn for times when it's needed, or at least useful. You communicated nothing useful to her and just seemed angry, hence the response (which is against another highway code rule, but hey).

Top Bottom