I should have lied about knowing Steve McQueen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

Wasn't it you that was first onto the beach on D-Day?

Maz

Guru
I once upset an old yank who was telling me about his time in the army.
I said "Union or Confederate?"
He was not amused.

Maz

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
My daughter asked me if I was born in the middle ages :biggrin::sad:
Maybe cos you're middle-aged? ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My son asked me if I had been sad when Queen Victoria died (after watching a program on TV). I pointed out I hadn't even been born when the current Queen came to the throne. But it made me feel old - I'm sure I remember doing the same sort of things to my parents.

papercorn2000

Uncle Mort said:
Until his funeral, I had no idea that my boring dad had escaped from a German prisoner of war camp to England, or that he'd been a commando in Normandy prior to the invasion there. He told us he'd just been doing his job, just like everyone else. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Superb!
When I was a window cleaner, we had an old boy as a customer. One day we were having lunch on a bench outside his house and he comes out to offer us some tea. We got talking and it turns out that he was on HMS Rodney during the Battle of the Atlantic and the hunt for the Bismark. He had loads of hair-raising stories and some great photos.

Likewise a very old music teacher I had when I started secondary had fought in the Battle of Britain.

I even remember being out hillwalking in Perthshire (whilst in my early teens) and meeting a very old boy (he was in his 90's then) who had fought in WW1!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
In Edinburgh we have the Museum of Childhood, where nowadays
one goes in and says things like "Oh, I used to have one of those when I was wee", then quickly lowers ones voice to a whisper :smile:

And in primary schools they study the 60's as part of History :smile: .... :biggrin::eek:

(yeah, yeah - the 1960's before anyone gets too smart :o)

Top Bottom