I should have lied about knowing Steve McQueen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Uncle Mort said:
Until his funeral, I had no idea that my boring dad had escaped from a German prisoner of war camp to England, or that he'd been a commando in Normandy prior to the invasion there. He told us he'd just been doing his job, just like everyone else. I always thought that was pretty cool.
In some ways, that's a great pity, as I'm sure you could have learned so much more from him.

Still, his modesty is refreshing in these days.

And super-cool :ohmy:

surfgurl

scoosh said:
In Edinburgh we have the Museum of Childhood, where nowadays
one goes in and says things like "Oh, I used to have one of those when I was wee", then quickly lowers ones voice to a whisper :smile:

And in primary schools they study the 60's as part of History :smile: .... :biggrin::eek:

(yeah, yeah - the 1960's before anyone gets too smart :o)

My Mum stopped taking me to museums after the trip to the Museum of Childhood in London and then to the Design Museum. I was interested in these historical relics which were the toys she had as a child and then home appliances she had as a young housewife.

I have since been got back by going to an exhibition on communications at the Imperial War Museum and finding all the protest posters I had held aloft in the mid 1990s.

My mate's dad was Polish and was kept in custody in Scotland before settling in Essex after the war.
My mate said his dad never talked about the war, and my mate assumed he must have had a really terrible time; when he died in 1993, my mate wanted to inform any relatives he had in Poland of his dad's death.
Via the International Red Cross, he made contact with his never-met relatives, only to find out that his dad had been working with the Germans/Nazis during the early part of the war! :wacko:

Top Bottom