Ian May cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DonSchwann

Interesting that the Ian Mays I have come across all look pretty different from one another. For example, this one with it's (Holdsworth style?) wrapover seatstays, British BB/headset and 27.0 seatpost diameter (mine's 27.2):

IMG_0602.jpg

Sold on LFGSS, so it's probably a garishly resprayed flip-flop by now. :angry:

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
so who thinks we ought to start an Ian May Bikes facebook group ?

DonSchwann

Finally got round to putting the tyres I'd set aside for my Ian May on the bike today, so that's one step closer to bringing it back to former glories. Looking forward to a longish ride tomorrow... unless the weather's against me. I'm thinking maybe I might ride the Wirral, taking Ian home! @biggs682, your FB idea was a good one, especially if we can get some of the other owners on this thread involved! Do you have plans to make the page?

DonSchwann

@biggs682, yes I think mine was set up as a TT/sprint bike by some chap who loved racing flats and never did hills! The Campag shifter arrangement is one of my favourite things about my Ian May.

I haven't given up hope of getting others to contribute to a future Ian May FB page, maybe will try to contact Mersyside bike bloggers etc?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Scilly Suffolk , @sittingbull , @Philip Osler ,@Wage_Slave , @xxxlippyxxx ,@George , @wakou myself and with some help from @DonSchwann have started a facebook page trying to amass as much info as we can about the man and his machine so please feel free to add to it on https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ian-May-Cycles/331872603631414?ref=hl

Kins

Über Member
A good source of information would be any local bike shops that are still going. Back in the day they all seemed to talk to each other. Also talk to the old fogey club riders. Cup of coffee and they love a good chat about the old days. Really interesting thread and some beautiful bikes.

Just bought a Shorter which is slightly more well known than your Ian May "Brand" but these small manufacturers were very interesting.

DonSchwann

Thanks Kins - sounds like a good idea and actually I have a Wirral ride planned that's almost guaranteed to include a pit stop at a cafe where old fogey club riders hang out!

So far I've never seen a Shorter I didn't like. How's about a pic of yours?

Kins

Über Member
Thanks Kins - sounds like a good idea and actually I have a Wirral ride planned that's almost guaranteed to include a pit stop at a cafe where old fogey club riders hang out!

So far I've never seen a Shorter I didn't like. How's about a pic of yours?

Hasn't arrived yet, probably be tomorrow now. Cost me £40 so needs a bit of work ;)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well hopefully this week should see the arrival at chez Biggs of the bike that started this thread off , after a bit of searching managed to track down @Scilly Suffolk to lfgss website and he still has the frame so after a bit of chatting a price was agreed and hey presto its on its way .

Not sure what to do ie total refurb or use as is , will see what its like in the skin when it turns up

Top Bottom