ID Reynolds 753 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Scrimshaw

Recently got this frame badged as a 753, looks like a time trial frame. Has been resprayed once already by Andy Palmer (API) and had front gear change lugs added since then. Was advertised as originally 1996 built by Tom Board, but have contacted Andy Palmer who suggested it was a Rondinella frame. I understand that Vic Evans (Rondinella) stopped building in late 80's so these dates don't match.

My intention is to clean it up and get it back on the road, but would like to get the original builder identified and badged correctly. I have the Reynolds decals sorted. There is not much to ID it, limited numbers, but it seems to have aero rear stays. Have added some pictures, first one shows letters BCM. Bear frame as shown weighs 1.74Kg (forks 0.62Kg)
IMAG0515.jpg
IMAG0516.jpg
$_57 (7).JPG
IMAG0509.jpg

midlife

Guru
Weighing it is a good guide. As is what it's brazed with. AFAIK 753 had too be silver brazed at a low temperature.

BCM I guess means Bocama

Shaun

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

Thanks, looks like a lot of ref to BCM lugs on the web, but nothing on complete frames? Threads are std English/ISO in BB. The added lugs are definitely brazed on and came off easily with gentle heat, not got the paint off to confirm the rest, but assume they are too. Bear frame is roughly 100g lighter compared to my 531 frame of similar size, 56cm CTT.

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

Yes, Andy gave me the info that he thought it was which could be at odds with how it was sold to me. Andy suggested Rondinella, but these stopped in early 80's I believe. the ad said Tom Board around 1996, so with very little to go on from the frame itself I am still not sure. Just dating the frame would help, but not found anything to nail that either.

Thanks

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

ok, thanks

Citius

Those '753 Renovated' stickers were only available from authorised builders and restorers, at a time before Ebay existed. I don't think there's any doubt it is 753 really. I would suggest a date slightly later than the 80s, if only because of the vertical dropouts.

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

Thanks for the useful comments, this could confirm Andy's view of who made it. I can also confirm the 130mm drop out width on rear with 100mm on front. so if i follow correctly is latter in the 80's.

Citius

I usually keep an eye out for frames in 753 - in standard gauge tubing, I don't recall having seen any that have been built with 130mm dropout width.

I've seen plenty - mostly of early 90s vintage. They were widely available, both custom and off the shelf from the likes of Ribble, Graham Weigh etc.

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

Thanks I will follow these leads as the lack of clear numbering and late 80/early 90 would suggest its not Rondinella. It defiantly takes 130mm rear hub as I have some Shimano RS80 wheels with C24 carbon/Al composite rims. I also have some Easton 90SL forks that have dropped the weight down too, looking at sub 8Kg hopefully with attention to the reaming parts. No front gear change to keep it simple.

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

Weighing it is a good guide. As is what it's brazed with. AFAIK 753 had too be silver brazed at a low temperature.

BCM I guess means Bocama

Shaun

Hi again, still working on this frame, it has been suggested to me that it is unsual to see a 753 frame fillet brazed and lug less due to heat, any thoughts. Also I have found ribbing in the steerer tube that could mean columbus tubes?

OP
OP
Dave Scrimshaw

Dave Scrimshaw

Those '753 Renovated' stickers were only available from authorised builders and restorers, at a time before Ebay existed. I don't think there's any doubt it is 753 really. I would suggest a date slightly later than the 80s, if only because of the vertical dropouts.

Still not got this frame sorted, It has been suggested that it is unusual for a 753 frame to be lug less and fillet brazed. Also I have found ribs in the steerer tube suggesting Columbus tubing. It does have a frame number now as I have found this on the steerer tube too, 0118.

Any further thoughts?

Top Bottom