I'd want my money back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelcycle

I watched a programme a while ago on BBC iPlayer called "Young, Welsh & Pretty Skint" about young, relatively poor people in Wales who spend huge amounts on beauty treatments and their appearance to look a certain way. Many of them had been bullied growing up, there was low social mobility, low pay, lack of opportunities and they were living for the weekend to avoid confronting their long term prospects.

When I see stories like this I have to fight the urge to judge the people concerned and think "what the fark have you done to yourself" and see it as symptomatic of much bigger problems that society faces: the overwhelming focus on money rather than goodness or justice, youth rather than experience, looks rather than character. If, when faced with these messages, you then find yourself in the depressing state of affairs of a lack of real opportunities in your surroundings, a lack of previous role models who have progressed to higher social status in life then it makes sense that a person may funnel their time and investment into looking a certain way - it is better than nothing. It seems the young girl earns a huge amount stripping as a result of her surgery which again to them seems probably better than the alternatives: being trapped in a cycle of low pay and low opportunities over a life time.

Katie Price is an inspiration to some young women and it is understandable.

Lullabelle

Banana
I watched a programme a while ago on BBC iPlayer called "Young, Welsh & Pretty Skint" about young, relatively poor people in Wales who spend huge amounts on beauty treatments and their appearance to look a certain way. Many of them had been bullied growing up, there was low social mobility, low pay, lack of opportunities and they were living for the weekend to avoid confronting their long term prospects.

When I see stories like this I have to fight the urge to judge the people concerned and think "what the fark have you done to yourself" and see it as symptomatic of much bigger problems that society faces: the overwhelming focus on money rather than goodness or justice, youth rather than experience, looks rather than character. If, when faced with these messages, you then find yourself in the depressing state of affairs of a lack of real opportunities in your surroundings, a lack of previous role models who have progressed to higher social status in life then it makes sense that a person may funnel their time and investment into looking a certain way - it is better than nothing. It seems the young girl earns a huge amount stripping as a result of her surgery which again to them seems probably better than the alternatives: being trapped in a cycle of low pay and low opportunities over a life time.

Katie Price is an inspiration to some young women and it is understandable.

It is a shame that people have such low esteem that they have to butcher themselves just to look 'acceptable'. We are all unique and should be able to embrace that.

Where is the self respect of stripping just to make money? Perhaps if she applied herself at school she may have done something useful with her life. I don't come from a monied family, I didn't get a perfect schooling, left with average grades, I just worked hard and am now in a good position in my life, no surgery, no stripping just honest graft.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well, it's their (or perhaps her) money so good luck to her.

No worse than wasting £5,000 on a plastic road bike to cycle to work on really.

What did worry me was this. Quote though.
" We swapped numbers and chatted for a while. I told him about the surgery that I wanted and we came to an arrangement where he paid me £800 per week.
— Kayla"

Got to wonder what that arrangement consisted of really.

I don't think the issue is their choices but rather the state of the media that constantly pushes this sort of lifestyle crap as if its every day stuff.

I interviewed a girl the other day for a front of house job once and she wore a bobble hat and was chewing gum. Spoke beautifully, was articulate but clearly felt that if Beyonce or Katie or whoever.. can act and dress like this then the whole world must do too.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
A sad situation made worse by some so called consultant Dr prepared to take the money and do the work. Then in years to come when it goes tits up the NHS will be landed with the bill.

Top Bottom