Idea regarding 'Road Tax' fallacy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamanidiot

Hello!

I mainly lurk (literally, I almost never post) in the commuting section so apologies if this is the wrong place to be posting this.

Anyway, like many cyclists, I often find myself forced into defending the fact that I don't pay the non-existent 'road tax'. It struck me the other day, that it would be very useful to have bicycles classified in with other Zero band vehicles. Obviously, though, this would be difficult to implement as a legal requirement, so why not make it entirely voluntary? It strikes me that it would kill any potential argument pretty quickly if when accused of not paying road tax, you could just point someone to a tax disc looking a bit like this attached to your bike:

DSC00990.jpg

i.e a road tax disc, but with a yearly cost of NIL - perhaps with make/model/colour instead of numberplate?

The obvious problem would be how to ask the DVLA to implement this, but mainly i'd like to know what people think of the idea of a voluntary tax disc? Am I totally insane, or a complete visionary :tongue: or has this all been suggested before.

It's a nice idea, but I don't think it'll help. I occasionally get grief from other road users when I'm trying to manoevre a 45' trailer into a small gap off the main road, and my lorry has a very expensive tax disc indeed ... on the other hand, my car has a free "historic vehicle" tax disc, and everyone loves it. If it wasn't "you don't pay road tax" it'd be something else.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

If it wasn't "you don't pay road tax" it'd be something else.

But if the "something else" has some comedy value...

More seriously, I think the cost of producing these discs and distributing them could be more wisely spent on a publicity campaign about what "Road Tax" actually is.

Pragmatically, I am hoping that this "issue" will slowly die a death as we see increasing numbers of zero-VED cars on the road. The emphasis on 'hoping'.

OP
OP
I

iamanidiot

All good points. Alternatively I could just take the tax disc from my car with me when I cycle, pointing out that actually I do pay 'road tax'. Apart from the fact that that's beside the point I would of course leave my car open to clamping...

I just thought it would be fun to actually have a tax disc for my bicycle.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Don't give the authorities ideas! You do realise that in order to qualify for your free disc, your bike would have to undergo a 450 point annual MOT and the rider would have to prove his/her riding competance on a regular basis. These tests would of course be charged to the cycle owner, who would have registered his/her bike with the DVLA.

Please don't take offence Iamanidiot, but I hope your next post has a better suggestion. ;) :biggrin:

ohnovino

Large Member
The morons who go on about "Road Tax" have one basic point: they pay a lot of tax to drive their cars and feel that gives them more rights over people who don't.

Having a zero-rate for bikes won't change that attitude.

OP
OP
I

iamanidiot

Don't give the authorities ideas! You do realise that in order to qualify for your free disc, your bike would have to undergo a 450 point annual MOT and the rider would have to prove his/her riding competance on a regular basis. These tests would of course be charged to the cycle owner, who would have registered his/her bike with the DVLA.

Please don't take offence Iamanidiot, but I hope your next post has a better suggestion. ;) :biggrin:

Oh I won't take offence, I realise it's not an amazing idea. Or even a good idea. Or even a passable idea.

Norm

The morons who go on about "Road Tax" have one basic point: they pay a lot of tax to drive their cars and feel that gives them more rights over people who don't.
I don't agree with this, as the only "discussions" I've had (only in the office, I've never had a problem on the road) have been with people who drive company cars and who, therefore, don't pay any road tax themselves anyway.

I take great pleasure in pointing out that I have 2 cars and 2 motorbikes and therefore pay plenty of "road tax" myself.

I make sure that the irony of their position is not lost on them.

classic33

Leg End Member

Tried doing this, however I was told that my vehicles would have to undergo
http://www.direct.go...icle/DG_4022105

Prior to this test, which has to be booked and paid for in advance, non returnable fee, the vehicle cannot be used on the public highway. It would have to have the drive disconnected and arrive at the testing station on a trailer. When that test is done, assuming it passes, I could then apply for VED. Problems arise when you attempt to apply for either. VOSA, are not allowed to inspect pedal cycles under the SVA and until that is done you cannot legally make an application for VED.

There is also at present no way that a pedal cycle can be issued with a valid VED disc as they do not fall under the remit of the DVLA or VOSA.

I know this bit because I tried. Even turning up to VOSA station for the test on a Brox. Some odd looks & some wondering if it was a wind up.

Spelling errors

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've used the old "rebate" joke in the past. Mate at work was joking about bikes not being taxed, so I said "its an environmental charge, my bike does no damage, so I'm owed a rebate!"

It wasnt a serious discussion though.

I did contemplate buying a motorcycle disc holder, printing off a joke disc and inserting it motorcycle style on the forks. I agree with Rhythm Thief though. If it isnt "road tax" it will be insurance, get insurance and it will be licence plates.. You do everything at the same price as a motorist, all the same obligations and they will just turn around and say "why am I being held up by cyclists!? I'm faster, I should have more rights!"

Its the mentality. A minority of motorists are indeed fundementalist about their cars, etc. Once you've challenged and corrected you will still have idiots. Its down to society to fall in line and say that idiots mentality is unacceptable and should change imo.

subaqua

What’s the point
I've used the old "rebate" joke in the past. Mate at work was joking about bikes not being taxed, so I said "its an environmental charge, my bike does no damage, so I'm owed a rebate!"

It wasnt a serious discussion though.

I did contemplate buying a motorcycle disc holder, printing off a joke disc and inserting it motorcycle style on the forks. I agree with Rhythm Thief though. If it isnt "road tax" it will be insurance, get insurance and it will be licence plates.. You do everything at the same price as a motorist, all the same obligations and they will just turn around and say "why am I being held up by cyclists!? I'm faster, I should have more rights!"

Its the mentality. A minority of motorists are indeed fundementalist about their cars, etc. Once you've challenged and corrected you will still have idiots. Its down to society to fall in line and say that idiots mentality is unacceptable and should change imo.

bang on the nail. you can substitute any form of transport and it still works.

Tyres

I can honestly say I've only come across this attitude once - a work colleague moaned his head off about cycle clubs taking up the road.
At the end of the day, do these bigots not realise that they too can go buy a bike and ride it on the roads...
icon_rolleyes.gif

User269

I continue to believe it's better to spread the word that there's no such thing as road tax with regard to vehicle excise duty payments.

All roads are paid for by our council tax, with the exception of motorways and some trunk roads, which are paid for out of general taxation. Cyclists pay council tax like everyone else. There is no such thing as road tax. Call it car tax if you like, but it's actually vehicle excise duty. All the cyclists I know also own cars, and are of course paying VED on them.

The sooner the message gets across that the roads are for the use of all of us, not just motorists, the better. And the sooner that motorists understand that they don't fund the roads and don't therefore have some divine right to their use, the better.

Top Bottom